Footie Stars Give Up Pay for Nurses

GM

So what does everyone think of this then? ???

Footie Stars Give Up Pay For Nurses

Thursday March 1, 03:30 PM     

Top Premiership footballers are backing a call to give up a day's pay for hard-up nurses. Organisers are hoping to sign up all 556 players to donate their wages into a hardship fund. It has been set up to help nurses who get into financial difficulties in their early career.

West Ham United captain Nigel Reo-Coker is one of eight footballers who have signed up to the Mayday For Nurses campaign on May 13.

Others include Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville of Manchester United, Spurs players

Paul Robinson and Jermain Defoe, and Portsmouth goalie David James.

Reo-Coker said: "My mum was a nurse and I know how hard she had to work and I know how hard it is for nurses.

"For me, they are the real heroes in our society and this is a chance for us to make a difference."

The campaign's founder, economist Noreena Hertz, said nurses were among the worst paid public servants with professional qualifications.

They earn a third less than teachers by the time they are established in their careers.

Dr Hertz urged football fans to add their names to the 2,300 who have given their backing to the appeal at www.maydayfornurses.com.

:: Nurses and other health workers are to receive a 1.5% pay rise from April and a further 1% from November - an annual increase of around 2%.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/01032007/140/footie-stars-give-pay-nurses.html

They shouldn't have to rely on charity. They should strike. There will be the usual media blitz of people being at risk, the army will be called in, but sooner or later they will get their money. Simple.

Guest Knightrider

Nurses are underpaid like and it is a fantastic gesture, so well done, I just wish the game would follow suit and give a weekend's proceeds to Grassroots football because it could do with some extra funding.

Nurses are underpaid like and it is a fantastic gesture, so well done, I just wish the game would follow suit and give a weekend's proceeds to Grassroots because he could do with some extra funding.

Aye, not seen him around here for a wee while...

"nurse" is a bit of a wide term though,some catagrees of nurse are very well paid.but we are all led to believe they are "ward angels",yes some are on appalling wages but lets direct pay rises where it's needed as opposed to my mates wife, a nurse on £36000 and a 30hr week.

"nurse" is a bit of a wide term though,some catagrees of nurse are very well paid.but we are all led to believe they are "ward angels",yes some are on appalling wages but lets direct pay rises where it's needed as opposed to my mates wife, a nurse on £36000 and a 30hr week.

tbf though mate she is probably a sister or even a senior sister. For every 1 of those there are 20 staff nurses on little over 20k.

To say us nurses have to get through university to even be able to nurse the wage is low. (Although I am not bothered as long as I am comfortable) I can see if you got a family or other commitments I can see the complaints.

The main issue is pay in relation to other services such as the police force where the entry requirements are lower but the starting wage is higher.

I think nurses in general have been abused for such a long time and due to it being traditionally a female role and the fallout of women being piad less than men. Well that is one reason for the low wages. Especially in relation to the effort put in by the majority of nurses who already work through unpaid breaks anyway because the Trust is so much in debt that new staff can not be employed.

As I said I am only training though so very little of this effect me currently.

edit: Typo's cant be bothered to fix them though.

I am a trainee student nurse and the current situation in an absolute joke. So little staff stretched over so much need. F-kin disgrace tbh.

Get a mans job son!

Saw that coming...

Guest Invicta_Toon

fuckem. they can't even keep the places clean and hygeinic. they have to wear coloured bibs so they don't get distracted while giving out pills FFS

fuckem. they can't even keep the places clean and hygeinic. they have to wear coloured bibs so they don't get distracted while giving out pills FFS

I'm sure we all look forward to the day your fleet of robot nurses are staffing the hospital wards. Probably no-one more than yourself...

Guest Invicta_Toon

I'm sure we all look forward to the day your fleet of robot nurses are staffing the hospital wards. Probably no-one more than yourself...

robots are already helping consultants interview more patients in less time, and perform keyhole surgery

• 7 months later...

BUMP!

FOOTBALLERS SPENT NURSE CASH ON EMERGENCY SUPERCARS  

Source

PREMIERSHIP footballers who pledged to donate a day's wages to a nurses' campaign have instead spent the money on some more cars, it has emerged.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/images/stories/bugatti.jpg

Shut up about nurses

More than 250 players agreed to make donations to the Nurses Are Better Than You campaign, but the majority later decided to go shopping in Park Lane instead.

One Aston Villa star was forced to withdraw his pledge after buying a £130,000 Bentley Continental GT because his £130,000 Porsche 911 smelled of what was now his third favourite brand of aftershave.

A spokeswoman for the campaign said: "To be honest a lot of the players weren't 100% clear on what nurses actually were.

"A couple of lads in the Newcastle squad thought they were used for holding change and keys."

She added: "Some of the more intelligent players had a vague idea but changed their minds when they found out we weren't dying or crippled.

"Most of them were very nice about it. They either phoned or got someone to write saying that while nurses were propbaly useful they weren't as useful as a Bugatti Veyron.

"That's 800 grand of serious motor, so you can see their point."

The spokeswoman said that despite the setback the Nurses are Better Than You campaign will continue because, "at the end of the day, nurses are better than you".

:laugh: