Seinfeld

Wullie

Never really took to it before in the brief glances I've had when it's been on terrestrial, but downloaded a few episodes off the back off the "favourite sitcom thread" and now just been out and bought the first 3 series on DVD.

Awesome stuff.

When I was 13 and it was on Sky One I made VHS tapes of every series and have re-watched them over and over for the last 13 years.  My favourite show ever by a long way, and one of few I still laugh out loud at on repeated viewings.

Wullie, if you've watched the first 3 series (funny as they are) you ain't seen nothing yet.  Series 4 and 5 are the peak.  Absolute genius how they do the story of Seinfeld getting made within the show.

When I was 13 and it was on Sky One I made VHS tapes of every series and have re-watched them over and over for the last 13 years.  My favourite show ever by a long way, and one of few I still laugh out loud at on repeated viewings.

Wullie, if you've watched the first 3 series (funny as they are) you ain't seen nothing yet.  Series 4 and 5 are the peak.  Absolute genius how they do the story of Seinfeld getting made within the show.

I'm only on the second episode at the moment, I just downloaded a few available ones off the file sharer. Seeing as among them were The Contest and The Soup Nazi, I'm now hooked. :D

I'm only on the second episode at the moment, I just downloaded a few available ones off the file sharer. Seeing as among them were The Contest and The Soup Nazi, I'm now hooked. :D

bluelaugh.gif

"NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

My favourite episode ever is The Bubble Boy

"On No, I'm afraid the correct answer is 'Moops'"

bluelaugh.gif

"NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

Yeah, the bubble boy one is very good.  My favourite one is probably the Comeback.

"Oh yeah?  Well, the jerk store called, they're runnin' out of you!"

Genius.

bluelaugh.gif

"NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

Yeah, the bubble boy one is very good.  My favourite one is probably the Comeback.

Genius.

bluelaugh.gif

'I, Cosmo Kramer, having just seen the movie The Other Side Of Darkness, and not wanting to be in a coma like that lady in the movie, hereby want Jerry Seinfeld to remove my life support, feeding machine, lung-blower, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.'

bluelaugh.gif

By the way, I don't know what young Master Wullie payed for the first 3 seasons, but if anyone want's them, they're quite reasonably priced at the minute...

Season 1 and 2 box set for £11.29

Season 3 for £11.29

Season 4, 5 & 6 are cheapest (£14.99 - £15.99) at play.com but I don't have access to provide a link.

I paid £49.99 for the first three seasons so those are good prices.  I've yet to buy 4, 5 and 6 though.  Cheers for the info.

Yeah i got the first 3 on DVD also, funny but still no Scrubs

Damn right.

Seinfeld's good, but even at it's very, very best, it doesn't come anywhere close to episodes like "My Screw Up".

Damn right.

Seinfeld's good, but even at it's very, very best, it doesn't come anywhere close to episodes like "My Screw Up".

No Scrubs?  Was that TLC or Beyonce's lot?

I've not seen My Screw Up, but I can't believe there are many episodes of Scrubs that would stand up against The Bubble Boy, The Contest, The Soup Nazi, The Juniour Mint, The Fusilli Jerry, The Little Kicks, Serenity Now, Festivus, The Chinese Restaurant, The Invitations and The Pilot; or characters as brilliant as George, Kramer, Newman, Frank and Estelle, Helen and Morty, George Steinbrenner, Uncle Leo, Mr Pitt, Jackie Chiles and Puddy.

Damn right.

I've not seen My Screw Up, but I can't believe there are many episodes of Scrubs that would stand up against The Bubble Boy, The Contest, The Soup Nazi, The Juniour Mint, The Fusilli Jerry, The Little Kicks, Serenity Now, Festivus, The Chinese Restaurant, The Invitations and The Pilot; or characters as brilliant as George, Kramer, Newman, Frank and Estelle, Helen and Morty, George Steinbrenner, Uncle Leo, Mr Pitt, Jackie Chiles and Puddy.

Don't get me wrong, all those episodes are very good viewing, but (aside from "The Bubble Boy" maybe), I wouldn't really catergorise any of them as must-see tv.

Whereas, I'd say there's at least 5 episodes of scrubs which I'd say are "must-see". Basically the first 5 on this list: http://www.tv.com/scrubs/show/3613/top.html

Damn right.

Don't get me wrong, all those episodes are very good viewing, but (aside from "The Bubble Boy" maybe), I wouldn't really catergorise any of them as must-see tv.

Whereas, I'd say there's at least 5 episodes of scrubs which I'd say are "must-see". Basically the first 5 on this list: http://www.tv.com/scrubs/show/3613/top.html

I'll have to get hold of some Scrubs, never seen it but I liked Garden State (dunno if Zac Braff did any writing on Scrubs like?).

The phrase "Must See TV" was coined by NBC for the promotion of Thursday night comedy.  Seinfeld epitomised it tbh on a level matched only by Cheers and MASH and probably to a lesser extent Friends.  "Watercooler Show" originated from Seinfeld, the show everyone was talking about.

I don't think Scrubs has been anywhere near that level of popularity.

Damn right.

I'll have to get hold of some Scrubs, never seen it but I liked Garden State (dunno if Zac Braff did any writing on Scrubs like?).

The phrase "Must See TV" was coined by NBC for the promotion of Thursday night comedy.  Seinfeld epitomised it tbh on a level matched only by Cheers and MASH and probably to a lesser extent Friends.  "Watercooler Show" originated from Seinfeld, the show everyone was talking about.

I don't think Scrubs has been anywhere near that level of popularity.

Perhaps correct, but popularity doesn't necessarily define quality. Take prison break, for example; ratings wise, it's no way near as popular as a lot of the other major shows out there, but most people who watch it would probably agree that it's one of (if not the) most gripping dramas on tv at the moment.

Seinfeld was certainly always good viewing, and it was always more than enjoyable enough, but I never really felt that i HAD to watch it. That was even more the case in later seasons. One of my biggest criticisms of the show, in fact, was that it was dragged out FAR longer than it should have been; 5/6 seasons was bordering on too much, for me. 9 was just overkill. The finale was dreadful as well; don't even get me started on that.

Perhaps correct, but popularity doesn't necessarily define quality. Take prison break, for example; ratings wise, it's no way near as popular as a lot of the other major shows out there, but most people who watch it would probably agree that it's one of (if not the) most gripping dramas on tv at the moment.

Seinfeld was certainly always good viewing, and it was always more than enjoyable enough, but I never really felt that i HAD to watch it. That was even more the case in later seasons. One of my biggest criticisms of the show, in fact, was that it was dragged out FAR longer than it should have been; 5/6 seasons was bordering on too much, for me. 9 was just overkill. The finale was dreadful as well; don't even get me started on that.

Well I'm shocked and chagrinned!  Mortified and stupified!  It could be argued that seasons 8 and 9 missed Larry David's input, but to say it got weak from season 5 is an outrage.  Seasons 1 & 2 were the least funny by far. It found its feet in season 3 and seasons 4 and 5 were the peak, the story arcs made them stand out and most comedies now try and have ongoing plots so you care, rather than the cartoonish week to week aspect of earlier sitcoms where everything tied up nicely.  Later seasons couldn't match that brilliance, but the standard never dropped to Shark jumping levels and they still had classics like The Soup Nazi in season 7, The English Patient in 8 or The Serenity Now in season 9.

Anyhow, it's a question of opinion isn't it.  I'll check out scrubs, I might change my mind, but i doubt it.

Well I'm shocked and chagrinned!  Mortified and stupified!

bluebiggrin.gif

To be honest, it's not something which is specific to seinfeld; it's just a general thing for me really. After 5 or 6 seasons of the same characters and situations, I just lose interest.

George on Jerry's dilemma of threesome;

"It's like discovering plutonium by accident!"

Oh Costanza, I love his outbursts.

Scrubs for me just made me laugh on loud on numerous occasions every single episode, Seinfeld is funny and enjoyable to watch but Scrubs for me is a lot better.

At the end of the day we are all different and like different things but for me Scrubs is just an amazingly funny programme!

By the way, I don't know what young Master Wullie payed for the first 3 seasons, but if anyone want's them, they're quite reasonably priced at the minute...

Season 1 and 2 box set for £11.29

Season 3 for £11.29

Season 4, 5 & 6 are cheapest (£14.99 - £15.99) at play.com but I don't have access to provide a link.

I paid £34.99 in HMV for 1-3, but I had a £5 voucher and 10% discount so didn't work out too much. I do fancy those cheap later seasons though, might have a scout round first in Music Zone or something.

• 2 years later...

bluelaugh.gif

"NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

Genius.

bluelaugh.gif

'I, Cosmo Kramer, having just seen the movie The Other Side Of Darkness, and not wanting to be in a coma like that lady in the movie, hereby want Jerry Seinfeld to remove my life support, feeding machine, lung-blower, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.'

bluelaugh.gif

mackems.gif