Glenn has options!

Jaehyun

Roeder has spent much of the season attempting to plug gaps with winger Nolberto Solano playing at right-back and Kieron Dyer, Antoine Sibierski and Damien Duff all having turns as an emergency striker.

However, heading into Saturday's Tyne-Tees derby with Middlesbrough the Magpies boss finds he now has choices to make.

"That is the real motivator for lots of players nowadays, the thought that if they do not play well, there is someone of equal ability to take their place," said the 51-year-old Roeder.

"For most of the season the senior players have gone out knowing if they did not play well, they would still play in the next game.

"That is why I am so pleased with the motivation that, generally, they have shown.

"There have been one or two blips but who does not have one or two blips? Every club has one or two blips where the manager is not pleased with the effort.

"But ours have been few and far between as far as I am concerned."

Last Sunday's 1-0 defeat at Wigan mirrored the short trip to the Riverside Stadium in October last year.

In both games the Magpies failed to make the most of their first-half dominance - Solano saw a penalty saved by John Filan at the JJB Stadium, while Obafemi Martins hit the crossbar at the Riverside Stadium - and were later made to pay.

Ryan Taylor's blistering free-kick did the trick last weekend, while Aiyegbeni Yakubu's opportunist header secured three points for Boro.

Newcastle had climbed into ninth in the Premiership but the Wigan defeat, coupled with wins for Tottenham and Blackburn, saw them slip to 11th - just one point better off than the Teessiders.

The Magpies will hope to re-establish their advantage over Gareth Southgate's men, who managed to sneak into the FA Cup quarter-finals with a penalty shoot-out victory at West Brom on Tuesday after another gruelling 120 minutes of football.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1780_1953086,00.html

Oh boy.

the only things we can count on are.............

1. Parker and Butt will start in the centre of midfield

2. Given will be in goal

3. Martins will be up front

4. Bramble will start at CB

5. Duff will play some part

Guest Jangles

"There have been one or two blips but who does not have one or two blips? Every club has one or two blips where the manager is not pleased with the effort.

Few and far between? Off the top of my head:

Fulham

Charlton

Boro

Sheffield Utd

Everton

Birmingham

Fulham (again)

Wigan

Fulham

Charlton

Boro

Sheffield Utd

Everton

Birmingham

Fulham (again)

Wigan

Most of those games were when Glenn was too stubborn/scared to make decisions early, where he'd leave his subs until the 80th minute, his decisions would have an impact but there wasn't enough time left to make it count.

Glenn used to, not be quite so paranoid about making early decisions, but after that game against Aston Villa, where he subbed emre off early, then Martins got injured with all subs used, after that game he's been making his subs very very late, and is often too scared to make changes, he needs to get over this, and take more chances.

After the villa match, many people on this forum said, well at least Glenn had a go, back-fired but unlucky, but on the matches where he made subs in the 80th minute, and refused to respond to the changing game-flow, many posters vented their frustration.

2. Given will be in goal

Carrs back as well I think. Oh, joy.

Stephen Carr (thigh), Emre (calf) and Craig Moore (hamstring) are all back in training but are not ready to return.

From BBC.co.uk... although they've also missed N'Zogbia out of the squad, so it's not exactly bulletproof information. I thought Carr wasn't in contention until the AZ game, personally, from what Glenn "The Birdman" Roeder said in a recent interview.

Fulham

Charlton

Boro

Sheffield Utd

Everton

Birmingham

Fulham (again)

Wigan

I wouldn't say Boro because we did play pretty decent that day, I would add Bolton at home in its place though.

2. Given will be in goal

just ruined my weekend, cheers man

2. Given will be in goal

just ruined my weekend, cheers man

Read up.

It's when he has to make decisions that things go wrong. When he's had injuries and been forced to pick whoever is available, he was ok-ish.

That doesn't mean he was OK-ish, it means he didn't have the chance to screw up, that's slightly different.

Still, it doesn't look as if Carr will be fit for Sunday so we can relax on that one, I hope I'm not tempting fate.

i always get to the pub at around 12, start to feel more confident as the pints go down then about 2.20pm you get the text with the team glenns dreamt up...

it usually features carr, bramble, a right footed left back, luque on the bench*...  :idiot2:

as in why waste a spot on the bench when youve no intention of bringing him on..