Alan's at it again

sempuki

Looks like Anton is on Roeder's list:

In with a shout

Mar 3 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder is hoping that Newcastle United will make a big noise in the close-season transfer market - in more ways than one.

For the United boss has made it clear that he wants to recruit players who will put his side in with a shout - literally.

"I want to hear more loud voices in our dressing room and out on the field and this will be reflected in any signings I make in the summer," said Roeder.

"Scott Parker is very good in the dressing room but we need to have a few more characters and a louder dressing room and that's what I am looking for."

The United boss has been delighted to see his young French midfielder Charles N'Zogbia come more out of his shell this week.

Roeder himself was a "shouter" and organiser in his time in the United defence, but in recent seasons this is something that has been most definitely lacking.

Ironically, one player who has had too much to say for himself and got himself in trouble is West Ham central defender Anton Ferdinand.

Ferdinand has been put in his place, first by his boss Alan Curbishley this week, and this was followed by a court appearance after an alleged fracas outside an Essex nightclub.

Roeder will watch closely what happens to Ferdinand, who I know he feels would be better getting out of London, and he will also keep an eye on the situation at Upton Park.

For make no mistake about it, if West Ham are, as is looking increasingly likely, relegated then there will be a lot of big-name departures from the East London club.

Roeder was not too keen on Dean Ashton last summer because he felt the prime quality any new striker had to have was pace.

Well, Roeder got this in Obafemi Martins, and it is now a different situation regarding Ashton, whose big pal is his fellow England Under-21 international Steven Taylor.

But I still feel that if United are to sign a striker in the summer then the one they would like is Ryan Babel of Ajax.

One player not in Roeder's sights, despite reports to the contrary, is West Ham skipper and midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker.

But Steve Sidwell at Reading, whose contract runs out at the end of the season, may be a different proposition, especially with Emre's future up in the air.

Roeder still plans to recall Emre for Thursday's UEFA Cup tie with AZ Alkmaar at St James' Park despite a second racism charge hanging over the Turkish midfielder.

Not one fucking quote about targets from anyone remotely related to the club.

I must sell papers, I must sell papers. He's like Bart Simpson at the beginning of their credits writing his lines on the blackboard.

Mindless drivel. There's nothing in that article based around a fact.

Guest slimbob

Hopefully the bit about sidwell has some truth to it, would be a cracking signing, especially on a free

Really would love Sidwell. Being honest though, i don't know an awful lot about him. Is he a penetrating midfielder like Emre, or a bit more defensive like Butt?

Bit of both, but not entriely either, if you get what I mean. I'd like him to come here. He can run with the ball, and get back and get his foot in, and seems to have a good engine.

Guest andynufc84

Steve Sidwell?

What sort of team are we aiming to be? He's decent I reckon thats it, not a player who would take us to the next level. We need a classy footballer in the middle of the park, someone who can pull the strings and create. An Arteta sort of player

Steve Sidwell?

What sort of team are we aiming to be? He's decent I reckon thats it, not a player who would take us to the next level. We need a classy footballer in the middle of the park, someone who can pull the strings and create. An Arteta sort of player

agree, Sidwell is no better than Parker.

Steve Sidwell?

So you wouldn't take him on a free if the occasion arised?