Are we bending over backwards against Scott Parker

oldtype

OK, so here's the deal about Parker.

<I>

I've watched every one of our games this season that have been availible to me (through local television or "evil internet shennanigans"), and I have never, ever seen any commentator have anything but praise to say about Scott Parker.

Granted, I'm not saying that commentator's are all reliable experts on football, but these are people that watch several matches a week for a living. You'd think that they would at least have SOME knowledge, perhaps even broader knowledge than most of us fans, who usually only watch the matches of the team we are supporting.

This is especially interesting considering that the general consensus among us is that most commentators are biased against NUFC and towards the top 4 or London teams.

<2>

Parker's average rating on Skysports = 6.8 (tie for best in squad with Dyer, Martins, and Given)

Granted, I'm sure we can all agree that ratings are hardly an accurate gauge of a player's preformance.

However, considering that these ratings are usualy filed by a different reporter every match, is it not significant that a large group of non-biased people who watch footy for a living generally agree that Parker is doing well?

<3>

In general, opposing supporters who do have an opinion on Parker seem to be favorable towards him. Most of this just comes from my interaction with supporters of other teams, although I've dug up one thread on another board for reference.

http://www.westhamfans.org/forums/west-ham-united/west-ham-rumours/scott-parker-10-million.html (reaction to Parker->West Ham winter transfer rumor. Full of comments to the effect of "he's too good for us," "never get him in a million years.")

<4>

So, to conclude...

Most pundits seem to think Parker is a good player. The media seems to think Parker is a good player. Supporters of other clubs seem to think Parker is a good player. (granted, evidence on the third one is a bit shaky at best.)

Is all of this just a result of massive overhype? Is the rest of the footballing world too simple minded to realize the truth that we, the bestest fans in the world have clearly seen?

Or are we the ones bending over backwards to slate one of our own players?

Discuss.

Guest BooBoo

Its not helping him or the club that he's partnered in the middle with Butt. I would like to see Parker resume the holding role next season with Dyer as the midfield playmaker and Martins and Owen up front.

I can see where you are coming from and some of the criticism is OTT.

But a lot of frustration is from not what he does but what he doesnt do.

He isn't really a creative midfielder and doesnt play defence-splitting passes, he holds up play while he looks to pass (holding up play good for a striker, not so good in his position), his play can be fairly negative (side-ways passes very little going forward or spotting runs by Oba), and his captaincy is pretty uninspiring imo as he doesnt shout or gee up the players when they get sloppy or need a boost.

He does tackle and cover very well and you never get less than 100% from him, but not an AM like Emre, so with him and Butt you have a solid but uninspiring centre of midfield.

I think he's a good player just perhaps its a case of either him or Butt with us looking a bit insipid going forward and lacking in ideas when they both play.

I believe it to be a bit of both.

People not connected to the club see a hollywood defensive midfielder that all englishmen love. Tackles, works hard and has a voice on the pitch. As well as this because of the fact he is our captain they will think "he must be good".

Where as your average toon fan is a pessimist to say the least. All he has to do is play one bad ball and us lot are on his back. However, there are some glaring flaws in parkers game that isn't quite worth rambling on about.

Parker is a good player at a good standard. His problem is that he does not have a position.

I think Newcastle fans would rather see flair players at St. James'.

Scott Parker is not a flair player, he is more of a defensive midfielder, but when he played for Charlton he was a box-to-box player. Thanks to Chelsea  :knuppel2: they changed him into a Makelele type of player and narrowed his overall game as well as game time at the club.

A reason for the pirouetting that we constantly see from Parker, which stifles Newcastle's overall play, is because at a club like Chelsea Parker would feed the ball to Lampard or another creative force like Cole or Robben, Parker didn't have to run or have as much as an influence in Chelsea's side then he does in ours or in Charlton's team.

But at Newcastle, all the pirouetting in the world, there will be no creative player (except Emre) to give the ball to. This leads to numerous turns and then the wrath of the fans as they would rather see him beat three players and then turn round and beat them again.

Chelsea have effectively ruined a very good attacking player.

Decent member of the squad. Doesn't work in our starting line-up though and tends to hold us back a lot. People say he doesn't work with Butt, which obviously means they don't think he's an attacking centre-mid. But then a lot of people don't think he could play a holding role... which would make Rodhamino's point a valid one. He doesn't have a position.

When Emre comes back, it should be Emre and Butt. Two good players that are good at what they're doing and work together. Butt sits, Emre penetrates. Parker seems to do neither - and that's his bad point.

I think he could be a good attacking mid if he increased his tempo and his passing was more direct. He's good at charging into the box a la Bowyer/Gerrard.

Theres simply no point judging a player by his media reputation, otherwise youd be ranking someone like David Beckham up there with Zidane.

Could say the same thing about Jenas, who the majority in Newcastle considered s***, yet you would never find a commentator highlighting how hes playing poorly, or negatively, etc.

Guest Douga

If he weer so good he would be at a beter club than the toon

We will always be a mid-table team whenever parker and roeder are at the reign

Theres simply no point judging a player by his media reputation, otherwise youd be ranking someone like David Beckham up there with Zidane.

Could say the same thing about Jenas, who the majority in Newcastle considered s***, yet you would never find a commentator highlighting how hes playing poorly, or negatively, etc.

Beckham is certainly not a fair comparison. Beckham doesn't have an especially high media reputation or supporter reputation. No pundit or footy fan worth his salt would ever claim that Beckham is comparable to Zidane. Only in his reputation among the public, with little or no footy knowledge, is he larger than life.

While the media certainly does seem to overrate Jenas now, I don't remember this being the case for Newcastle-era Jenas. Parker differs in that he is actively praised by the pundits, the media, and supporters from other clubs while his own fans call him s***.

So no player in any mid-table team is any good by the virtue of the fact that they dont pay for the big four?  :idiot2:

If you think that Roeder and Parker are the two main objects holding this club back from greatness, you really need to give your head a shake, you clueless cunt.

One thing I noticed about Parker yesterday is he has difficulty in turning on the ball. Most midfield players in the Premiership are good enough to just let the ball roll past them as they turn, or take a very quick touch to take the pace off the ball so they're facing the opposition with the ball at their feet, ready to keep the attack going. He takes about three touches to do what a lot of players are doing with one touch or even none.

Another problem is he can't switch the direction of the attack very easily. He's very one-footed, and he can't use the outside of his foot either, so his distribution becomes a bit predictable.

This doesn't make him a bad player, just a bit limited for what we'd really like.

We are blaming him (And Luque,if he plays) for everything that goes wrong

Parker is a decent player,he is being mismanged by Roeder,who is playing him in a free role,Parker is a DMC,he tackles,gets the ball,helps the defenct,Roeder wants him to be the hear of our team,in both the attack and the defence,this effected his form,and added alot of pressure on him,Roeder in clearly not helping by also making him captin,something that made his the scapegoat for most of our poor peformence's

Parker is a very decent DMC,he is a fantastic holding midfielder that deserves to go to England,if he plays like he played like season,Putting him in various stupid postion's like what Roeder is doing to him now will only turn him into a worse player

Check CoachHTT thread about getting the best of Scott Parker,if Roeder simply do what HTT said he should do,Parker will be one of our better players,but clearly thats not going to happen,and Parker will only go from bad to worse..

We are blaming him (And Luque,if he plays) for everything that goes wrong

Parker is a decent player,he is being mismanged by Roeder,who is playing him in a free role,Parker is a DMC,he tackles,gets the ball,helps the defenct,Roeder wants him to be the hear of our team,in both the attack and the defence,this effected his form,and added alot of pressure on him,Roeder in clearly not helping by also making him captin,something that made his the scapegoat for most of our poor peformence's

Parker is a very decent DMC,he is a fantastic holding midfielder that deserves to go to England,if he plays like he played like season,Putting him in various stupid postion's like what Roeder is doing to him now will only turn him into a worse player

Check CoachHTT thread about getting the best of Scott Parker,if Roeder simply do what HTT said he should do,Parker will be one of our better players,but clearly thats not going to happen,and Parker will only go from bad to worse..

Agree with everything said there, actually Souness got the best out of him he was our  DMC and Emre was the creative one and it worked very well, so I don't know why Roeder is making Parker play the style of football he is playing at the moment.

I think Parker has shown he works better as a DM, problem is at the moment we have Butt who can do that job and no-one who can do the attacking work to any great effect.

Another problem is the manager wants Parker to be the more attacking one, if Parker was told he was a DM, to stick to that role, make tackles, sit deep and pass it simple (well he doesnt really need to be told that) we would get a lot more use out of him.

Good point gejon. Its also worth remembering that the more he plays in that role, with a consistant partner then he will gain more experiance. I've said all along we should use Butt to tutor him.

To be a top DM you need to be able to tackle, cover space as well as distribute the ball quickly and effectively. Parker is a fantastic tackler with a very good engine but he needs to learn how to take fewer touches on the ball and release it quicker.

It doesn't matter if Parker decides to drop the ball off to a defender beacause at least that means we can create a new attack from the back. What he does do and should not do is takes to much time on the ball whilst making little ground. 

Guest Douga

If you think that Roeder and Parker are the two main objects holding this club back from greatness, you really need to give your head a shake, you clueless c***.

I suppose like, Roeder is doing a splendid job here and i can see him taking us to the Champions League.

WOuld much rather keep Roeder here than any other manager as Roeder has the experience from all the other clubs he has taken down

If you think that Roeder and Parker are the two main objects holding this club back from greatness, you really need to give your head a shake, you clueless c***.

I suppose like, Roeder is doing a splendid job here and i can see him taking us to the Champions League.

WOuld much rather keep Roeder here than any other manager as Roeder has the experience from all the other clubs he has taken down

Are you really that dense??