AZ Alkmaar (h) - Are you going?

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just been buying me and the lads some tickets online and I was fairly surprised to see the lack of availability around the ground: the only remaining areas were the various bars (1892, Sports, Platinum Club, etc.) and then a couple of sections in each of the four stands (Two sections of Milburn Paddock 'B', two sections in the East Stand, three sections in the middle of the Gallowgate and two sections in the middle of the Leazes) not the choice I was expecting.

Plumped for seats behind the goal in the Leazes End, right next to the Sports Bar seats, as to get a different perspective from my usual digs in the Gallowgate.

Made me wonder whether we can expect a decent turnout on the night for what is probably the biggest game of the season so far and one that promises to be fairly good value for money. So are you going? Where are you sitting?

If you're not going, why not? Wouldn't blame people after the 'Boro match and because it's on the TV, but I'm fairly excited about it -unlike most other home games this term.

Any news on how many fans AZ are bringing?

Not going, cos i don't have any money aswell as no means of transportation or accommodation, but we'll certainly need all the support that we can get if we're going to beat this lot.

Guest nufc_geordie

I was going to go until i watched that drab on Saturday. I have been to all of the home European games this season (I didn't renew my season ticket for this season as I couldn't afford it) but with the match being on TV and the way they played on Saturday I would rather put up with the shite commentary on channel 5.

I was going to go until i watched that drab on Saturday. I have been to all of the home European games this season (I didn't renew my season ticket for this season as I couldn't afford it) but with the match being on TV and the way they played on Saturday I would rather put up with the shite commentary on channel 5.

Don't blame you at all mate. Personally I haven't been to a home European game since the Levadia Tallin one as I was away for Fenerbahce, playing football myself when Celta came and at a family thing when the Waregem game was on. It's probably why I'm so up for this one because it feels like ages since I've seen a good European night at SJP.

I was waiting to see what the performance was like on saturday before deciding whether to go on Thursday or not!!  I am away in Manchester on business all that day and to be honest I am not going to rush back to sit and watch that lot.

The level of effort from most of the team is pathetic, only Nicky Butt looked interested on Sat.

Guest cheeseboy

i,m a dutchman, there are 1700 tickets sold in Alkmaar for this match. we all hope it is going to be a great party.

see you all thursday :lol: :lol: :lol:

i,m a dutchman, there are 1700 tickets sold in Alkmaar for this match. we all hope it is going to be a great party.

Excellent. If your fans are as good as Heerenveen's, PSV's and NAC Breda's then the atmosphere should be a lot better than it has been lately. The NAC Breda fans in particular were excellent, but the PSV match has been among my favourites over the past couple of years. All gave very vocal backing to their teams and made it a special night.

Guest cheeseboy

Excellent. If your fans are as good as Heerenveen's, PSV's and NAC Breda's then the atmosphere should be a lot better than it has been lately. The NAC Breda fans in particular were excellent, but the PSV match has been among my favourites over the past couple of years. All gave very vocal backing to their teams and made it a special night.

indeed we are as good as the fans from NAC, most people are verry glad we will FINALY playing in england.

so i think it could be a great party in the town afterwards, (watch out pubs we are thursty). ;D ;D ;D

what do the bookmakers think of the game?  win or lose?

Guest cheeseboy

Newcastle are slight favourites at EVENS on PaddyPower, AZ to win & the draw are 9/4.

What do you think mate? I reckon it'll be a score draw, 1-1 or 2-2.

ha ha, i,m not objective, i hope and i think we are winning the away game (more hoping than thinking) O0 O0.

but a draw is a good result

Guest Kenton Magpie

I'm still deciding if I should go or not I don't know if i will be rewared for parting with £20 and making the effort after the dross ive had to endure on saturday

Guest the_guv_nor

Havent decided yet,

the away game to wigan and that home game at boro has got me thinking!

saying that, the lads normally play better against better opposition.

Guest smoggeordie

Havent decided yet,

the away game to wigan and that home game at boro has got me thinking!

saying that, the lads normally play better against better opposition.

This.

I don't think you can go wrong in the city, but it depends on what you're looking for. The number of pubs/bars/clubs within walking distance of St. James' Park is huge. Some close at 11pm, some at midnight, others at 1am. I'm not entirely sure how late most clubs have licenses these days, but 2am/3am sounds about right.

The Trent seems to be a popular jaunt with people from Toontastic (another NUFC forum), it's just a typical pub and I know a few people who I used to knock about with who say it's quality on match day.

Wetherspoons (Union Rooms) is always good if you like a good variety of cheap beer and a place where there is no music/a lot of Newcastle fans, plus free entry. It's very big, as well, so there should be plenty of room. It's very close to Newcastle's Central Station (train) and about 5 minutes walk from the stadium. It closes at midnight.

The variety is huge, though. There are bars that have music, some that have topless girls, "old-men" pubs, live music pubs. There's a gay section in town, if that's your bag. :lol:

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=35638.0

That is a good thread from someone else who was asking for good places to visit in Newcastle, as is this one also:

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=35954.0

Then there are pub review sites like: www.pubsnewcastle.co.uk and www.theburglarsdog.co.uk if you have the time to read them.

Personally the Bigg Market is the only place I'd say to avoid, but I have a few mates from Belgium of various ages who absolutely loved the place and insist on going back whenever they visit... I'd just suggest having a walk around and taking over the place you like the look of the most. You should have a great night.