Christoph Metzelder to leave Dortmund

NUFC06

http://www.eurosport.com/football/bundesliga/2006-2007/sport_sto1106797.shtml

Germany defender Christoph Metzelder will leave Borussia Dortmund at the end of the season after the club withdrew a contract offer. The 26-year-old's present deal expires at the end of the season, and the Bundesliga side said they were not prepared to wait any longer for him to sign a new one.

"We granted Christoph sufficient time to consider our very good offer," said the club's sporting director Michael Zorc.

"We had open and fair discussions, but we now have to concentrate on planning for next season."

Metzelder was a late addition to the Germany squad at last year's World Cup, and earned rave reviews as the hosts finished third.

He was also a star turn at the 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea, but saw his career stalled by multiple injuries.

It is believed Dortmund were willing to offer Metzelder 2 million euros per season, but he could pick up much more at Juventus or Real Madrid, who are two of the many clubs to have been linked with him.

What do you think about him?

Personally i think he is very good player and he is free in the summer

He has played in the 2002 World cup final and also was in the 2006 World cup squad

I think he is very versatile and can play anywhere at the back

He is linked with Juve and Real Madrid so it will be hard to sign him but i think its worth it

Guest andynufc84

Probably would be a good signing, but would we go for him?

To be honest I've lost all faith in the club when it comes to signing players we really need

To be honest I've lost all faith in the club when it comes to signing players we really need

Aye me too

Our scout system is shocking and i highly doubt that Roeder have heard about him

He will probably go to some big club but at least we should try to sign him especially when he is on free

Aye me too

Our scout system is shocking and i highly doubt that Roeder have heard about him

He will probably go to some big club but at least we should try to sign him especially when he is on free

Scary thing is I don't even think that's hyperbole.

You'd think Glen would at least get around to watching the WC. Not too confident about that though.

Guest Bellers

No suprise he's opting to leave with Dortmund languishing at the bottom of the Bundasliga. Has plenty of qualities, but would he adjust to the pace of the premier league, I'm not so sure.

On top of this he would probably demand huge wages and european football. All in all a signing worth having a look at, but one very unlikely to go through.

yeah you're right hes not the fastest in the planet but there are a fair few slow(ish) decent centrebacks around at the moment in the premiership. I guess its all about not making stupid mistakes and having to cover for them with your pace.

Guest s0ftcore

Although he and Woodgate are different players, I sorta see him as Germany's Woodgate - cos he's crocked. Has had quite alot of injury troubles so can see why Dortmund aren't offering more than they can because they know they're no longer one of Germany's top sides.

Only reason why he gets to play, unlike Woodgate, is cos they have shite centerbacks. FFS, even Huth was selected for the World Cup and he's not very good.

Although he and Woodgate are different players, I sorta see him as Germany's Woodgate - cos he's crocked. Has had quite alot of injury troubles so can see why Dortmund aren't offering more than they can because they know they're no longer one of Germany's top sides.

Only reason why he gets to play, unlike Woodgate, is cos they have s**** centerbacks. FFS, even Huth was selected for the World Cup and he's not very good.

agreed - has lots of similarities with woodgate in style of play; classy and comfortable on the ball, reads the game very well

had a bad knee injury i believe after 2002 world cup but has recovered fully, to my knowledge

there should be an NUFC representative on a plane to germany as we speak, but there won't be

Metzelder is living very much from his reputation. His league form has been very indifferent in the last couple of years and there is a big question mark if he is ever reaching again the potential he had shown before his injury troubles started . He had some problems with the management staff though and looked much better for the national team.

I think the reason why he has not accepted Dortmund's offer is not only down to money reasons but also personal experiences in the last couple of years and the fact that he sees the ideal opportunity to move abroad. I reckon he will go to Italy where he has still a very good name.

Metzelder is living very much from his reputation. His league form has been very indifferent in the last couple of years and there is a big question mark if he is ever reaching again the potential he had shown before his injury troubles started . He had some problems with the management staff though and looked much better for the national team.

I think the reason why he has not accepted Dortmund's offer is not only down to money reasons but also personal experiences in the last couple of years and the fact that he sees the ideal opportunity to move abroad. I reckon he will go to Italy where he has still a very good name.

Much more suited to italy! Still wouldn't mind him here!

Guest Invicta_Toon

but you said we should go for him anyway

football genius

We should have tried to sign him but it was obvious that he will sign for some club bigger than us

so why try?