Kill It, Cook It, Eat It - BBC3

Dave

It'll be repeated a good half a dozen times over the next fortnight, no doubt. Didn't watch it myself, was out. Gonna change your eating habits then? :D

Nope. Next week is about lamb.

I think most of the horror comes from relating the animal to humans. You can see the hot blood, the skin, the head, the guts, the eyes. That's why killing fish or even chickens doesn't seem as bad. It seems like it could be a human, with the same feelings of suffering and stress. For me it's not nearly as bad to see a chicken or fish be slaughtered. Once they'd removed the head it was easy to watch imo, it was much easier to separate it into just 'meat'.

Our lass felt it was hard to watch because of the sheer scale of things though, for some reason. Tell you what though, the slitting of the throat, the huge amount of blood, and the decapitation was difficult to watch.

Suspected not. What's the programme about exactly? Just a straight forward presentation of birth, growth, death and consumption or...?

Edit: You edited. Yes, I can see why it's harder to empathise with marine life-forms... Most of the things we associate with feelings and ourselves and such involve needing air and land to some degree or another. Scooping fish out of the sea can seem more like harvesting corn or something.

Re-Edit: You're still editing, you bastard. Well, the scale is pretty impressive... The throat slitting, the writhing, the decapitation and whatever else you saw happens literally millions and millions of times over. Mind-boggling in a way.

Suspected not. What's the programme about exactly? Just a straight forward presentation of birth, growth, death and consumption or...?

It's like a group of random people in a set constructed right inside a slaughterhouse. They watched as three cows were killed, cut up and eventually cooked - all in front of them to gauge their reactions. They ate some of the meat too (some did not). Most of the show was covering the slaughter itself, with a lady from one of the environmental agencies explaining it all to the presenter.

I was starving afterwards. :lol:

It's like a group of random people in a set constructed right inside a slaughterhouse. They watched as three cows were killed, cut up and eventually cooked - all in front of them to gauge their reactions. They ate some of the meat too (some did not). Most of the show was covering the slaughter itself, with a lady from one of the environmental agencies explaining it all to the presenter.

I was starving afterwards. :lol:

Ah yes, I remember hearing about it now. Were the reactions of the observers as expected or did anyone change their minds in any particular way?

Some were visibly shocked, most decided they weren't going to change though. There was a professional chef who'd never seen it done which surprised me.

The major problem with it was obviously it didn't show what happens when the slaughter goes awry for whatever reason. The people all stated how they thought it was as humane as possible (which I agree with, can't see any other way to do it tbh), but they didn't ask about what happens if the bolt doesn't finish off the cow properly etc.

Tell you what though, the blokes doing it were clearly very highly skilled. It's a dirty job that many couldn't stomach, but they were impressive.

It's often said by Veggies and such that (most/a lot of) people would be put off meat if they were exposed to the process and showed how it all happens, which I'm not so sure about, to be honest. It's true for a number, but it seems to me that once they get over any initial shock, they can come to be quite functional and unfeeling about the whole business. The whys are there to be debated, perhaps, but all the same, I think it may be a case of "be careful what you wish for" with regards to the aforementioned sentiment. The abstract idea may actually be more bothersome to many. Not dissimilar to war, perhaps.

It's often said by Veggies and such that (most/a lot of) people would be put off meat if they were exposed to the process and showed how it all happens, which I'm not so sure about, to be honest. It's true for a number, but it seems to me that once they get over any initial shock, they can come to be quite functional and unfeeling about the whole business. The whys are there to be debated, perhaps, but all the same, I think it may be a case of "be careful for what you wish for" with regards to the aforementioned sentiment. The abstract idea may actually be more bothersome to many. Not dissimilar to war, perhaps.

Agreed. :thup:

It wasn't nice to watch by any stretch of the imagination, but after the first was killed, seeing the second and third was nothing. It's a process that must be completed to provide the meat we eat, and as I said, I can't see any other practical way of doing it. Once I got my head around that it was fairly straight-forward. I think that was proven by the reactions of the people on the show.

Like I referred to earlier though, the worries are where the requisite care isn't taken, but the basic methodology is fair enough imo.

It's often said by Veggies and such that (most/a lot of) people would be put off meat if they were exposed to the process and showed how it all happens, which I'm not so sure about, to be honest. It's true for a number, but it seems to me that once they get over any initial shock, they can come to be quite functional and unfeeling about the whole business. The whys are there to be debated, perhaps, but all the same, I think it may be a case of "be careful for what you wish for" with regards to the aforementioned sentiment. The abstract idea may actually be more bothersome to many. Not dissimilar to war, perhaps.

It wasn't nice to watch by any stretch of the imagination, but after the first was killed, seeing the second and third was nothing. It's a process that must be completed to provide the meat we eat, and as I said, I can't see any other practical way of doing it. Once I got my head around that it was fairly straight-forward. I think that was proven by the reactions of the people on the show.

Indeed, it gets easier and easier. And the bits that might remain hard can be blocked out. Of course, you don't actually have to eat the meat... Looking for a ray of hope, I'd like to think those speculative ideas of growing meat like any old crop with various new bio-technologies can come good, they'd nicely solve a few issues.

Indeed, it gets easier and easier. And the bits that might remain hard can be blocked out. Of course, you don't actually have to eat the meat... Looking for a ray of hope, I'd like to think those speculative ideas of growing meat like any old crop with various new bio-technologies can come good, they'd nicely solve a few issues.

But mouses and ears taste shite. :razz:

But mouses and ears taste shite. :razz:

I thought you were doing well in that job, Dave - I'm surprised you're reduced to eating that muck :D

I was thinking about that just before but then i thought about its more humane to give the animal a normal life. By mass producing animals using GM technology (i know) would produce conscious animals that whole genetic make up is geared to a natural environment but being reared in a factory. Dolly seemed like quite a normal sheep to me. Sure she wouldnt approve of such ideas.

I was thinking about that just before but then i thought about its more humane to give the animal a normal life. By mass producing animals using GM technology (i know) would produce conscious animals that whole genetic make up is geared to a natural environment but being reared in a factory. Dolly seemed like quite a normal sheep to me. Sure she wouldnt approve of such ideas.

I think the point is you wouldn't be rearing any animals at all. Hunks of flesh would just grow, essentially.

since i hadn't seen the bbc program, i thought this was about a reality show where those involved have to hunt (perhaps), kill & cook in order to eat.  now THAT would get the ratings!  ...who's squeamish now my little professional chef?  >:D

I watched it, mainly because my dad actually worked in an abatoir and as a butcher after that so I was always intrigued to see it being done after he told me how it worked. I guess you've just got to be able to distance yourself from it being alive to just a piece of meat, which in all honestly humans have eaten meat longer before we found this way of slaughtering these animals.