The Death of TV Phone-in Voting?

GM

Clearly too much to hope for...it'll be a temporary cessation and be back with a vengeance no doubt, but I think the phone-in vote has signalled/accompanied a massive and rapid decline in the standard of TV entertainment on offer, so I hope it does get binned actually.

ITV to suspend premium phone-ins

Source - Click

ITV is to suspend all premium-rate phone-ins, interactive competitions and votes from Tuesday.

Quiz channel ITV Play will come off air O0 while independent auditors conduct a review of all ITV programmes.

The review follows a string of problems with TV phone-ins, including a mistake on ITV's X Factor, which led to viewers being overcharged a total of £200,000.  >:D

Investigations are also being carried out into the BBC's Saturday Kitchen and Channel 4's Richard and Judy.

ITV's chief operating officer John Cresswell said: "It is critical that our viewers have absolute confidence in the services that we offer.

"We believe that all programmes currently on air are compliant.

KEY AFFECTED PROGRAMMES

Dancing on Ice

ITV Play

This Morning

Loose Women

Who Wants to be a Millionaire

"However, in light of recent concern around this issue, something affecting every major broadcaster, we are conducting this independent review to ensure that ITV is meeting all relevant codes and regulations."

ITV said its interactive services would return on a programme-by-programme basis, with each production facing scrutiny in the investigation.

Skating show Dancing on Ice will only return at the weekend if phone-in procedures have been shown to be sound.

The review, carried out be Deloitte, will also cover programmes broadcast in the past two years and the results will be made public.

Premium rate phone line regulator Icstis welcomed the review, calling it "evidence of a broadcaster taking its responsibility to its viewers seriously".

Investigations

The watchdog is already investigating allegations that viewers were encouraged to ring in to the You Say, We Pay segment on Channel 4's Richard and Judy show even after all contestants had been chosen.

It is also examining BBC One's Saturday Kitchen over allegations viewers were told they could ring up to appear on a show which was recorded just minutes after the announcement was made.

The BBC said it was not following suit by suspending its premium rate phone lines.

A statement from Eckoh, the company that provides ITV's phone-in services, said it took its obligations "very seriously" and supported the review.

It said: "As one of ITV's suppliers in this area, we will work with the broadcaster and its appointed auditor Deloitte to help them complete their review and rebuild consumer confidence in the industry as quickly as possible."

Guest Gemmill

Why don't they put Dancing on Ice on with free phone-ins instead?  Or better still, leave the charges on - seriously, if people are fucking stupid enough to ring in and vote for which of a group of celebrities is the least shit at ice skating, at £1 a pop, that's their own lookout.

the other day, front page of one of the tabloids in huge letters was basically a big sensational headline about how people have been getting ripped off. Forgive me if im wrong, but previous to this whole 'scandal' wasn't it pretty much a given that people were being financially shat upon?

Guest Gemmill

the other day, front page of one of the tabloids in huge letters was basically a big sensational headline about how people have been getting ripped off. Forgive me if im wrong, but previous to this whole 'scandal' wasn't it pretty much a given that people were being financially shat upon?

The same tabloid probably had page after page of adverts for premium line dating services, Legbreaker Ltd loan companies, and all the rest of it in the very same issue. 

Guest Gemmill

My mate let this lad stop at his house for a couple of nights while he was away on holiday.  He came home to a huge phonebill, and when he queried it with the phone company, this dipshit had run up £120 worth of costs ringing up one of those late night quiz shows.  In two nights. 

ITV Play and anything related to it - Quizmania, The Mint, Glitterball etc should be removed from TV for good. Absolutely awful. When i'm in bed at night and want to watch something to wind down, the last thing I want to do is watch some absolute spastic trying to make a shit game look good, or another moron phoning in and getting a simple question totally wrong.

WANKERS.