That boy Ronaldo

Stevie

..makes Beckham look shite.

He does as well.  Honestly people will chortle at this, but I truely believe Cristiano Ronaldo is well on his way to becoming the best player in the world.  There is nothing he can't do, he has as many tricks as Ronaldinho, he's bringing consistency to his game, his crossing has improved tremendously, he has one of the best shots in the world at times, for a winger he's outstanding in the air, and he's the best dribbler in his generation.  Added to all this he's second top scorer in the Premiership.

So fuck you might think.  What depresses me is our so called super scouting network missed the boat with him.  Mind we weren't the only ones, Liverpool were offered him for just £4m.  The sad thing is if we had been in the right place at the right time he'd have come as well.  In 2002 he was nothing, we signed the then jewel in the Portuguese crown and apparent heir to Figo's throne, in Hugo Viana.  If we could attract him, we'd have been able to get Ronaldo as well.  This is never mentioned when people are discussing the ones that got away, but the point is we must've had Sporting Lisbon well scouted signing Viana, so obviously who was watching him would've seen Ronaldo as well.

It's a shame.  He is a WUM of epic proportions but he is a true talent in our sport and he deserves to be crowned World Footballer of The Year based on his ability, fuck David Villa he was shit the other night and fucked up my Valencia HT/FT bet against Celta Vigo.

Agree that he will be the best player in the world, BUT I don't think he would've been nearly as good now if he'd come to us four years ago

Got there before me.

This thread would probably have been "that boy Viana makes Scholesy look shite" and Ronaldo would have been booed, booted out and dumped on the "lazy foreigner" pile.

I tell you the one player who I thought would be the next big thing in Portuguese football, Carlos Alberto.  I seen him play for Porto a good few times and he was absolutely immense, just a kid as well, seems like he's slipped back to obscurity these days though as I've not heard him mentioned for a while.

I tell you the one player who I thought would be the next big thing in Portuguese football, Carlos Alberto.  I seen him play for Porto a good few times and he was absolutely immense, just a kid as well, seems like he's slipped back to obscurity these days though as I've not heard him mentioned for a while.

I think he plays for Corinthians now.

We should go for Ricardo Quaresma if we want a Ronaldo type player here.

I was thinking that the other day, now is the right time for him to move as he's probably mature enough to cope with a foreign culture.

Quaresma seems like he would only go to a CL team though. He deserved that goal and had Diarra not played as well as he did, Ricardo would have been a constant thorn in Chelsea's side. I'd love him here, but I can't see it happening.

Does not deserve any award much less the World's Footballer of the Year Award till he cuts out cheating and diving from his armoury of skills. Would be an embarassment to make mark him as an example for the school kids.

Guest Gemmill

Agree with Stevie.  The lad is absolute top class.  One of the things that sets him apart for me is his total lack of fear or respect for reputation.  It doesn't matter who you put in front of him, he'll just play his game because he knows he's better than them.  You can't buy that sort of attitude.

I hate the fact that he dives and that, but that doesn't take anything away from how good the kid is at football.

He won't be on the same level as Ronaldinho ever was in my eyes due to the fact he plays a lot of the time with his head down and doesn't really have the vision of Ronaldinho, although everything else in the lads game really is unstoppable at the moment.

I'd also like to add I'd like to see Ronaldo start doing it in the bigger echelon of games for Man Utd as it's all well and good taking the piss against the lesser teams in the league but whenever he's come up against Ashley Cole for example Cole always triumphs.

I can't say I agree about the dribbling thing as well Stevie as Messi is a better dribbler than the lad and will become the best player in the world.

He's gone back to Brazil to play with Corinthians I think.

We should go for Ricardo Quaresma if we want a Ronaldo type player here.

I was thinking that the other day, now is the right time for him to move as he's probably mature enough to cope with a foreign culture.

I think that Barcelona have first option on him, he was part of the Deco transfer and Barca insisted that they get first refusal on him.

The point made about how we should've seen him and bought him not Viana is probably the single most thing in football over recent seasons that fucks me off. Are our scouts rampant crackheads or something?

Credit to Manchester United for the way they improved his game

When he first came to England he was a selfish diving cunt, But Manure's coaching staff helped him devolp his strength and fixed his weakness's such as his Crossing and Heading,they turned him to a fantastic player who is one of the best players in the world currently..

We took Viana,who was supposed to be an even bigger prospect,Fucked him up and then kept loaning him and sold him for almost a quarter of the price we payed to sign him

Says alot about our training methods compared to Manchester's