Ann Coulter...

Guest JamesD

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Voltaire, (Attributed); originated in "The Friends of Voltaire", 1906, by S. G. Tallentyre (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)

French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

She's got a right to say it, everyone else has a right to think she's a c***.  She only comes out with stuff about 9/11 widows milking it, bombing muslims for oil and to convert them to christianity, wishing McViegh had managed to blow up the NY Times building with all the staff inside, raving on about 'ragheads' and 'faggots' etc because it's the only way she can get the oxygen of publicity.  If she could get more attention holding hands with Jane Fonda, she'd be doing that.  Sad thing is, she gets given a platform at major republican confrences with all the candidates in attendance because moderates are scared of condemning her and losing the nutter vote.

Coulter has wasted her breath about Edwards.

After his recent comments about Israel there is no way he'll become president.

Its reminescent of Howard Deans comments 4 years ago about how 'the US should be more even-handed in the Israel/Palestine' situation.

Cue the 'scream' and media hype = end of candidacy

BTW Coulter got a worrying positive response from that Conservative audience when she mentioned the word faggot.

Now the 'acceptable' face of republicanism is trying to distance themselves from her comments but the audience's initial reaction tells a story in itself.

BTW Coulter got a worrying positive response from that Conservative audience when she mentioned the word faggot.

Now the 'acceptable' face of republicanism is trying to distance themselves from her comments but the audience's initial reaction tells a story in itself.

She'll still get invited back next year.

She'll still get invited back next year.

Indeed blue she is still the darling of the right wing.

I think she is offensive to my point of view (liberal, shocking eh), but I wonder to what extent she does more harm than good to the party she supports.

I mean there's doubtless some maniacs who agree with what she says, but hopefully for every one of those there's someone who thinks she's a nutcase. Fingers crossed anyway  :undecided:

Rush Limbaugh's view on her latest trolling, and the republican bloggers who want to disown her...

I'm looking at the blogs, and the bloggers are uniform in their condemnation of Ann Coulter. “This is disturbing and it's distracting to the conservative movement. This is not what we're about. It unnecessarily makes all conservatives a target for continuing attacks by the left,” and so forth and so on. Then some time passed and the bloggers began getting comments from their readers. After a couple of hours, I checked back, and the bloggers were mostly writing about how they were being excoriated by their readers for criticizing Ann Coulter; that finally somebody like Coulter had the guts to stand up and say what things are for, because the left gets away with this and does it all the time. The bloggers admitted that they were taking it on the chin from their readers in the comments of all their blogs from people who were very supportive of Coulter. I went to my own e-mail, and the vast majority of e-mail I got was, "Rah-rah," and, "Right on!" I'll tell you what I think this means. 

I think what people misunderstand about the rank-and-file in the Republican Party is that they're sick and tired of taking it on the chin day in and day out. The mainstream press can assault every one of our icons. The mainstream press, the Drive-By Media and the left, can assault every one of our presidential candidates. They can call George Bush "Hitler." They can write movies on how Bush ought to be assassinated, do movies and produce them; write books on how Bush ought to be assassinated; can say that they wish Cheney had been killed -- and there is no condemnation of it. There are a lot of people in the so-called conservative movement who are fed up with the docileness of Republican leaders in Congress, and even in the White House, who just sit by, don't respond, and just take this stuff. 

So when somebody like Ann Coulter comes along and says what she said, they simply react to it. “All right! Somebody's fighting back! Somebody is saying something in return to these people and pointing out their hypocrisy.” I think that's why the support that is there for Ann Coulter is there, because she represents something that the leadership of the party doesn't provide them. The leadership of the movement these days doesn't provide them an outlet for their own anger. You know, individuals are sitting out there roasting and frying and getting angry each and every day at the things that are in the Drive-By Media: the unfairness, the imbalances, the constant defense of the people who are invested in defeat of their own country. They're never called on it. It's never portrayed. The Democrats and the left in this country are never portrayed for who they really are in the Drive-By Media. The White House won't say it and many of the Republican leaders in the House and Senate won't say it. They won't be critical of anybody. The Drive-Bys totally give Bill Maher a pass for wishing that Dick Cheney were dead, and saying that more people would be alive were that the case.