Support all English clubs in Europe.

James

Every season, the success of each countries clubs in Europe is given a score by UEFA, and the national ranking determines the number of European places allocated to each national league.

It is in our interests to support all rival clubs in all European competitions, even if we want them to do badly in the League/domestic cups.

So it is idiotic to be upset to see Liverpool/Chelsea/Spurs progress, as you are quite literally biting off the hand that feeds you.

Its against what many people believe in (supporting YOUR club, etc), though, to "suppport" another club. Especially when its clubs like Liverpool, Spurs etc.

I'd rather WE had 11+ players and a managercapable of getting us to a European place, rather than rely on other clubs to progress and extend the entrance into European competition towards our level of mediocrity.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Its against what many people believe in (supporting YOUR club, etc), though, to "suppport" another club. Especially when its clubs like Liverpool, Spurs etc.

I'd rather WE had 11+ players and a managercapable of getting us to a European place, rather than rely on other clubs to progress and extend the entrance into European competition towards our level of mediocrity.

Agreed I can't start suddenly shouting for Manure just because they are in Europe when I hate them the rest of the time.

Guest nufc_geordie

Got to admit, and I have said it befire, I would even support Sunderland in Europe until they played any other English or Scottish club. When English teams play in Europe they are essentially representing England, thus I support them.

How on earth would me 'supporting' English teams make any difference to, well, anything? Are UEFA monitoring me and my reactions when I watch European games on television?

Maybe I'm just not very patriotic, but the only English club I will ever support in Europe is Newcastle United. At best I'll feel a little bit of pride if an English club wins a trophy but for the most part I will always want other English clubs to do badly (that said, as long as they don't all get knocked out in the first round which would make our league look a lot poorer). The better they do, the further they pull away from us (both financially and in terms of experience). I don't understand how any one supporter of a club could honestly want another English club to do well, I really don't. I dislike Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United (I don't mind Arsenal but that doesn't mean I want them to do well) as it is, so why would I suddenly want to start wishing them to do well?

I also think there are too many European spots given to English clubs as it is. We don't deserve to get into Europe this season anyway.

couldn't stand smug Liverpool fans again if they won -  hate Chelsea, hate Manure. in fact the only other english club i do want to do well  is Arsenal, and that's because 90% of me mates in London are Gooners.

Every season, the success of each countries clubs in Europe is given a score by UEFA, and the national ranking determines the number of European places allocated to each national league.

It is in our interests to support all rival clubs in all European competitions, even if we want them to do badly in the League/domestic cups.

So it is idiotic to be upset to see Liverpool/Chelsea/Spurs progress, as you are quite literally biting off the hand that feeds you.

Our co-efficient is so good now (England's) that I can afford myself the luxury of wanting cuntish teams to lose.  Even if Spurs, Liverpool or Sunderland were playing an Italian team I'd want them to lose, can't change how I feel.  Forca Braga.

i was hoping liverpool would win last night.  Its nice to get one over `big` european teams.  Barca looked poor last night anyway.

Cant say i was rooting for chelsea tho. 

It doesnt bother me if an english team wins the CL or not, but it just makes more interesting tv watching an english team play than 2 `foreign` sides.

I wont support spurs in uefa this year, as i got a nagging feeling we gonna meet them in the final.

Guest smoggeordie

If we were good enough to qualify for an automatic European place we wouldn't have to worry tbh.

England already has the maximum number of European places a country can have and is in no danger of losing that.

The further they go, the more money they get, the better players they can buy, the harder they are for us to beat next season, the less likely we get high enough in the league to qualify.

Your logic is severely flawed.

Having said that, I still want most English teams to win most of the time (certain teams excluded and depending on the opposition) when we are not in that particular competition. It makes me feel better knowing we are in a league playing against a lot of the best teams in Europe/the world, and puts the constant whining on here about what a terrible team we are into perspective.

totally disagree with the post - if you hate another team in domestic competitions then it's the height of hypocracy to support them in europe

indeed some would argue the same for individual players and the england team, and while although i don't go that far myself i find myself in the minority during a lot of england games when i call sh!te sh!te, people won't/can't see it

when man utd won the CL in 1999 i was the only person in the pub (i was in durham or somewhere at the time) who wasn't jumping about and who did say "bayern were fucken robbed, plain and simple, the best team lost" - i was nearly strung up....

when NUFC aren't involved i want to see the best, most adventurous attacking team win no matter who they are

These are the current standings:

1 Spain  71.462

2 England 64.665

3 Italy  64.088

4 France 53.156

5 Portugal  42.082 

6 Germany 42.078

7 Romania 40.165

8 Netherlands 38.522

9 Russia 36.125

10 Scotland 30.250

The top 3 all get the same number of European places, so we're in no danger at all.  France will never catch us, and Italy have sub-par teams in Europe this and next season meaning we'll pull away.

The club one was interesting though:

1 AC Milan  121.148

2 FC Barcelona  117.582

3 Internazionale  107.148

4 Liverpool  103.339

5 Real Madrid  102.582

6 Arsenal  102.339

7 Valencia  96.582

8 Olympique Lyon  95.541

9 Chelsea  92.339

10 Juventus 92.148

11 Newcastle United  91.339

12 Manchester United  90.339

13 FC Porto  88.887

14 PSV Eindhoven  79.712

15 Villarreal  76.582

16 AS Roma  76.148

17 Sevilla  73.582

18 Bayern München  68.885

19 Ajax  65.712

20 Benfica  62.887

Our artificially high European co-efficient is nothing new. It's because we have a good record against the minnows we've played in the Intertoto and UEFA Cup over the last couple of years. It doesn't take into account the shite we've beaten.

These are the current standings:

The club one was interesting though:

1 AC Milan  121.148

2 FC Barcelona  117.582

3 Internazionale  107.148

4 Liverpool  103.339

5 Real Madrid  102.582

6 Arsenal  102.339

7 Valencia  96.582

8 Olympique Lyon  95.541

9 Chelsea  92.339

10 Juventus 92.148

11 Newcastle United  91.339

12 Manchester United  90.339

13 FC Porto  88.887

14 PSV Eindhoven  79.712

15 Villarreal  76.582

16 AS Roma  76.148

17 Sevilla  73.582

18 Bayern München  68.885

19 Ajax  65.712

20 Benfica  62.887

backs up that lad NE5 quite nicely with his "repeatedly qualifying for european competition" chelp....

I don't think Intertoto matches count towards it.  That said, there's no way it should have the same weighting as winning CL matches.  We shouldn't be getting as many points for beating Zulte Waregem as Liverpool do for beating Barcelona.

by the way, is that list of countries right? 

scotland are 10th?

SCOTLAND?  10TH

i mean, it's scotland....how on gods green earth are there not more than 10 better teams in europe than scotland?  maybe puts our standing in the club rankings in a little perspective