SS

Parky

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/07/wbishops07.xml

A group of German bishops sparked controversy yesterday when they compared Israel's treatment of the Palestinians with the Nazis' maltreatment of Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto.

The comments were made by the 27-strong German Bishops' Conference after its tour of Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories.

Children walk past the controversial Israeli barrier

Several of the bishops were upset by the Jerusalem Wall, the 30ft high concrete barrier illegally built by Israel to separate Palestinian suburbs from the rest of the city. "

Fair comment?

http://www.europa-eu-un.org/articles/en/article_5286_en.htm

EU Presidency Statement – Israeli Practices affecting human rights of Palestinian People and other Arabs in Occupied Territories

Summary

EU Presidency Statement – Israeli Practices affecting human rights of Palestinian People and other Arabs in Occupied Territories (8 November 2005: New York)

Statement on the Report of the Special Committee to investigate Israeli Practices affecting the human rights of the Palestinian People and other Arabs of the Occupied Territories by the Permanent Mission of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to the United Nations, on behalf of the Member States of the European Union, Fourth Committee, UN General Assembly, New York

I have the honour to speak on behalf of the European Union.

The acceding Countries Bulgaria and Romania, the Candidate Countries Turkey and Croatia*, the Countries of the Stabilisation and Association Process and potential candidates Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Serbia and Montenegro, as well as Ukraine align themselves with this statement.

The European Union, recalling established EU positions, remains committed to the two-State solution as laid out in the Roadmap and agreed between the parties, which would result in a viable, contiguous, sovereign and independent Palestinian State existing side by side with Israel in peace and security. The EU will not recognise any change to the pre-1967 borders other than those arrived at by agreement between the parties."

http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engmde150012003

http://www.eappi.org/pressreleasesen.nsf/index/pu-04-11.html

Cf. WCC Press Release, PR-04-02, of 12 February 2004

Executive Committee statements and minutes available (see below)

The executive committee of the World Council of Churches (WCC) has issued a powerful appeal to the Israeli government demanding that they "stop and reverse the construction of the wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territories".

The "construction and location" of the Israeli wall on occupied Palestinian territory is a "violation of the Charter of the United Nations and fundamental principles of international law", says the WCC executive committee in a statement adopted during its 17-20 February 2004 meeting in Geneva.

It also calls on all member churches and ecumenical partners to "condemn the wall as an act of unlawful annexation", which "should not be recognised by any state".

The statement "strongly condemns the violations of human rights and humanitarian consequences" of the barrier. The resulting obstacles in accessing workplaces, farmland, health services and schools among others, constitute a violation of the rights to liberty of movement, work, adequate standard of living including housing, health care, education and equality before the law.

Welcoming the hearing of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in the Hague, the WCC executive committee calls the attention of the Court to the "immense human costs paid by the Palestinian people and its long-term consequences on peace and reconciliation". It also expresses its "deep concern to the ICJ to consider if the construction of the wall affects the status quo of the Holy Places in any way".

The creation of this "new political boundary", which extends "Israeli civilian and military presence inside Palestinian territory", undermines "all peace-making efforts and most importantly the whole concept of a viable and contiguous Palestinian state established side by side by the state of Israel", says the committee.

The WCC executive committee statement acknowledges that "Israel has serious and legitimate security concerns" and recognises Israel’s "right and duty to protect its people against attacks and suicide bombers inside the state of Israel, without contravening international law and jeopardising longer term prospects for peace".

It also acknowledges "Palestinian people's right to resistance against the Israeli occupation inside the Occupied Palestinian Territories, without resorting to terror and creating indiscriminate fear among civilians" inside the state of Israel.

The WCC executive committee reaffirms its "strong conviction that non-violent means of resistance and peaceful negotiations are the only way to achieve a lasting, viable solution to the Arab- Israeli conflict".

The WCC statement is based on eyewitness reports from volunteers within the Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine and Israel (EAPPI) and pleas from the Heads of Churches of Jerusalem, WCC member churches and councils of churches. "

http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=22421

:cheesy:

To be fair Kitty I think people don't realise how hard it is for German bishops to come out with summat like this....It is very difficult for anyone to criticise Israel in Germany without various 'cards' being played.

To be fair Kitty I think people don't realise how hard it is for German bishops to come out with summat like this....It is very difficult for anyone to criticise Israel in Germany without various 'cards' being played.

I guess after the German church's wholehearted collaboration with the Nazis they might not feel comfortable with the moral high ground where the Jewish people are concerned?  Still, that was a long time ago now......

I guess after the German church's wholehearted collaboration with the Nazis they might not feel comfortable with the moral high ground where the Jewish people are concerned?  Still, that was a long time ago now......

I guess all the money from the Prescott Bush, the UBC, Bank of England and various N.Y. and Swiss banks also helped... ;)

Cards like that Parky?

It's knee jerk cause Kitty is too lazy to engage. :lol:

Tbf there are various Jewish organisations who remain critical of the Israeli state...But this doesn't get much press coverage obviously.

Probably the wrong country to be criticising the Israelis. ;)

I think there are certainly parallels though.

It's high time the Germans got back into the fold on international matters. There was some hoo ha about sending troops to Lebanon under U.N. auspices. Send a fucking panzer division and stop pissing around. :rolleyes:

It's high time the Germans got back into the fold on international matters. There was some hoo ha about sending troops to Lebanon under U.N. auspices. Send a fucking panzer division and stop pissing around. :rolleyes:

I wasn't commenting on their involvement in international matters.

....I was picking up on you saying they weren't in a position to criticise Israel. I note your comment about parallels however.

....I was picking up on you saying they weren't in a position to criticise Israel.

Oh, I know what you were picking up on.

Cards like that Parky?

It's knee jerk cause Kitty is too lazy to engage. :lol:

Tbf there are various Jewish organisations who remain critical of the Israeli state...But this doesn't get much press coverage obviously.

Good call  :icon_biggrin:

* Brain engage.  Brain engage.  It's no good damnit, it's just not working *

Israel hits back...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/08/wbishops08.xml

"A group of German bishops who compared how Palestinians are treated with the Nazi maltreatment of Jews was denounced angrily by the head of Israel's Yad Vashem Holocaust museum today.

One bishop said Ramallah was similar to the Warsaw Ghetto

In a letter addressed to Cardinal Karl Lehmann, leader of the German delegation, Avner Shalev said the comparison was completely inappropriate.

Members of the 27-strong bishops group did not accuse Israel of attempting some sort of holocaust against the Palestinians but they did criticise Israel using language which is highly emotive in the Jewish state."