Ronaldinho - the Brazilian Lee Trundle

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

I've watched him a number of times now over the past 12 months or so and he has been disappointing in the main and nowhere near the player he once (fleetingly) was (just after Rijkaard took over and in their first title season under him). He looks overweight, has lost some pace and has become a parody of himself. I thought he was shite last night, utter crap. Best player in the world my arse. Great skills, great individualism, but not a great player, and he never has been. A great player can do it week in week out, over the course of a career, at any level (Ronaldinho has never convinced me at WC level or even CL level, despite one or two high profile goals), not in patches and over the course of a 2 or so year period. He's massively overrated and it is a crime to even put him up there with the Maradonas, Zidanes, Ronaldos (pre-injuries), Cruyfs, Peles and other former greats.

He's such a lazy player as well, Robert puts him to shame, and so ineffective centrally. Yes he has 18 goals for Barca this season, and is a good player, a very good one on his day, but Kanoute has 18 goals or something FFS.

I honestly wouldn't have him in my dream team, Barca should cash in and buy a more effective and productive players with the money. He'd bomb in the Premiership IMO.

You've always felt this?  Yet, we didn't see this thread when he was doing well (understatement) and everyone was raving about how good he was. 

Not nevessarily saying that it isn't true but I'd respect the opinion so much more and be more inclined to believe it true if this was posted before there was a Ronaldinho-is-overrated bandwagon to jump on, e.g. I may be wrong but I think that HTL has been talking about how poor he believed Scott Parker to be well before he hit a slump in form and a fair few more subscribed to this view.

As stated in another Ronaldinho thread, questions have been raised about his weight and his performances of late. He was crap last night tbh but he's still a fantastic player imo - his shot which hit the post last night just shows his quality (though apart from that, didn't do much really!)

He's clearly off-form, but still a fantastic player that can change any game in an instant.

Oh, and he's still got 19 goals so far this season.

All irrelevant apparently as Kanoute's got 18.

I've watched him a number of times now over the past 12 months or so and he has been disappointing in the main and nowhere near the player he once (fleetingly) was (just after Rijkaard took over and in their first title season under him). He looks overweight, has lost some pace and has become a parody of himself. I thought he was shite last night, utter crap. Best player in the world my arse. Great skills, great individualism, but not a great player, and he never has been. A great player can do it week in week out, over the course of a career, at any level (Ronaldinho has never convinced me at WC level or even CL level, despite one or two high profile goals), not in patches and over the course of a 2 or so year period. He's massively overrated and it is a crime to even put him up there with the Maradonas, Zidanes, Ronaldos (pre-injuries), Cruyfs, Peles and other former greats.

He's such a lazy player as well, Robert puts him to shame, and so ineffective centrally. Yes he has 18 goals for Barca this season, and is a good player, a very good one on his day, but Kanoute has 18 goals or something FFS.

I honestly wouldn't have him in my dream team, Barca should cash in and buy a more effective and productive players with the money. He'd bomb in the Premiership IMO.

I've never thought he has been worthy of his status. Great players impose themselves on games. He has the skills, but not the desire, consistently.

For the last few years, the one player I would take in the world for Newcastle would be Rooney, he is much better.

Ronaldhino simply can't compare with Maradona, Cryuff, Pele, Best for instance, from the past either. He isn't in the same league as those players.

19 in all comps. A measly 17 in La Liga: http://boylesports.stats.football365.com/dom/ESP/PL/leadsc.html

his scoring has actually improved this season hasn't it? might be a consequence of him being more "selfish" and staying static around the box rather than running around all over the place. could simply be that Rijkaard's wanted him to play this way in the absence of Etoo.

For the record, who exactly has put him alongside the all-time greats and pioneers of the game? Genuinely wondering.

Go on Soccerpulse and you'll hear it spouted all of the time, then again I don't think Zidane is on the same level as any of the folk HTT as mentioned, he's not even the greatest French player of all time.

For the record, who exactly has put him alongside the all-time greats and pioneers of the game? Genuinely wondering.

Go on Soccerpulse and you'll hear it spouted all of the time, then again I don't think Zidane is on the same level as any of the folk HTT as mentioned, he's not even the greatest French player of all time.

Soccerpulse as in a football forum?

Luque...

Guest WalkervilleMag

think Barca would of gone on to win if Ronaldhino stuck his chance away instead of hitting the post.  Still think he is the best in the world.

Eto on the otherhand,  think he has been getting tips from his best m8 Luque judging by last night's performance

just having a bad season, seems to have been overshadowed by Messi, negative media coverage and he has had to be stand in for eto'o. This season he has had most pressure on him and it obviously has taken its toll, you can't win the worlds best player twice and be shit.

I've never thought he has been worthy of his status. Great players impose themselves on games. He has the skills, but not the desire, consistently.

For the last few years, the one player I would take in the world for Newcastle would be Rooney, he is much better.

Ronaldhino simply can't compare with Maradona, Cryuff, Pele, Best for instance, from the past either. He isn't in the same league as those players.

That's naive, and coming from you, I'm surprised.

Rooney? Meh, he does it with even less consistency than Ronaldinho. He has no experience of actually doing it, actually succeeding and leading a team. He has all the potential but like so many English footballers, get way overhyped when he's actually done fuck all. He's overrated and I'll stand by that opinion until he actually produces it consistently (maybe he should look at his own teammate Ronaldo?). Contrary to that, Ronaldinho has done it before and he has shown that he can succeed at the highest of levels. What are the odds on Rooney not actually becoming one of the greats because I'd sure like to bet a few quid on that. It's simply wishful thinking to believe that Rooney is actually one of the best in the world, that he can 'impose' himself on the game and has the 'desire'. Just because he runs around like a headless chicken doesn't mean he has 'desire', and conversely, just because Ronaldinho doesn't run around like a headless chicken doesn't mean he has no desire. You don't hone speciall skills like he has without the desire, motivation and incentive to do it.

Rooney 'much better' than Ronaldinho? :lol: in your dreams mate

Still think he is a very good player and probably being a little harsh but imo he tried to hit that shot too perfectly and it hit the post. If he wasnt trying to spank it into the corner and just placed the ball it would have more likely gone in.

Still think he is a very good player and probably being a little harsh but imo he tried to hit that shot too perfectly and it hit the post. If he wasnt trying to spank it into the corner and just placed the ball it would have more likely gone in.

He is a bit off-form (although the 19 goals would tend to disagree) but maybe that's because of the team he's playing for is off-form as well? I didn't see a Barca attacker who shone in the game yesterday (or recently). Eto'o was crap, Messi wasn't as effective (creating-chances wise), Deco didn't run the game etc. etc. It's stupid that people are only focusing on Ronaldinho, it's a team game innit? And he's hit his first patch of bad form (if 19 goals = bad form) in about 2 years and everyone's suddenly on his back. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Sorry I wasn't having a dig really at him (and I agree the others were very poor) just thought he tried too hard to make that the perfect goal when he could have easily put it away.

That's naive, and coming from you, I'm surprised.

Rooney? Meh, he does it with even less consistency than Ronaldinho. He has no experience of actually doing it, actually succeeding and leading a team. He has all the potential but like so many English footballers, get way overhyped when he's actually done fuck all. He's overrated and I'll stand by that opinion until he actually produces it consistently (maybe he should look at his own teammate Ronaldo?). Contrary to that, Ronaldinho has done it before and he has shown that he can succeed at the highest of levels. What are the odds on Rooney not actually becoming one of the greats because I'd sure like to bet a few quid on that. It's simply wishful thinking to believe that Rooney is actually one of the best in the world, that he can 'impose' himself on the game and has the 'desire'. Just because he runs around like a headless chicken doesn't mean he has 'desire', and conversely, just because Ronaldinho doesn't run around like a headless chicken doesn't mean he has no desire. You don't hone speciall skills like he has without the desire, motivation and incentive to do it.

Rooney 'much better' than Ronaldinho? :lol:  in your dreams mate

I'm not.

Apart from that.....well said.

mackems.gif

You've watched him a number of times?  I'm assuming you could count these 'number of times' on one hand.  Even in Barca's last home match against Bilbao he was unstoppable, played amazing.

What does Kanoute scoring 18 goals have to do with Ronnie scoring 19?  Or are you trying to say if Kanoute can score that many, anyone can, thus making it insignificant?  Well I'll have to go inform David Villa, Van Nistelrooy, Eto'o, Messi, Morientes, Torres et al that they are infact over-rated and shit players because Kanoute has scored more goals than them this season.  I think they will all retire due to this terribly embarrassing situation.

Except for a slow start, Dinho has had a great season, but I guess in order for some people to say he had a good game he needs to score(well, not score, it's la liga, anyone can score in that league!), make a few assists and beat players for fun all night..

Not watch last years Champions League, btw?  Guess not if he hasn't proved himself to you at that level.  Was it not Ronaldinho who effictivly knocked out Chelsea with a great goal, shrugging off England's captain like he wasn't even there?  And scored the first goal against Benfica in the quarters?  And made a pass no one else could make which set up Giuly to knock out Milan in the semis..

I'm still hoping this thread is a wind up, though.