DNS, Pinging and IE7

NE5

mate of mine is getting the following happen :

can ping dns and ip addresses

in safe mode can load dns pages through ie7

in normal mode cant load dns pages through ie7

can load ip addresses through ie7

disabled any firewall and anti-virus software - no change

run diagnostic on router and router sends reply, all ok with the router except when you try and load dns and it fails -I think this is just a general message from the router diagnostics and is a red herring.

Any ideas pse ???

So something is interfering with the proper functioning of IE7 in normal mode which does not alow it to translate domain names into IP addresses?

Virus scan, spyware scan, windows update, scandisk, defrag...try a different browser etc

Guest Invicta_Toon

my arse

3 times this week I've been able to do something in IE which is impossible in Firefox

and don't pretend I have to read the bloody manual, as I've never done that for IE. Good software is intuitive

3 times this week I've been able to do something in IE which is impossible in Firefox

Like what?

Some sites still don't work in other browsers but that's just lazy web-developing.

my arse

and don't pretend I have to read the bloody manual, as I've never done that for IE. Good software is intuitive

What were they?

Guest Invicta_Toon

load a couple of pages correctly, play a flash animation and resize a page correctly (or at all?)

Guest Invicta_Toon

Well, I have a website that won't load in IE7 because IE7's not compatible with proper web standards.

www.firefox.com?

Guest Invicta_Toon

load a couple of pages correctly, play a flash animation and resize a page correctly (or at all?)

As I said, bad site design. Could happen either way.

it usually happens one way more than the other in my experience

but then again I don't cruise around firefox friendly sites, I use the net to for work / research

As I said, bad site design. Could happen either way.

it usually happens one way more than the other in my experience

but then again I don't cruise around firefox friendly sites, I use the net to for work / research

Of course it's going to happen more often that way, IE is much older and more popular than Firefox as it's ready built into Windows. Still doesn't change the fact that it's poor design to not allow for them all.

I've come across very few sites that don't load in Firefox overall.

Well, this is a clip from his reply

"Solved the problem, firewall issues with trend, apparantly known problem that just appears in trend 2007. Ive now discovered that the speed is less than 2mb, around 152 kbs."

rather than start a new thread ....... what does the small "pencil" mean, that is above your ip number in your posts on here ?

It's the quick edit function, if you click on it, you can edit your post, like this.

:D