Uncapped trio earn call

Nobby

Everton striker Victor Anichebe is one of three uncapped players from the Premiership to be included in Nigeria's squad for the 2008 African Nations Cup qualifier against Uganda.

Anichebe is joined by Aston Villa's Gabriel Agbonlahor and Manchester City defender Nedum Onuoha in the 37-strong squad and are among eight uncapped players invited by the Nigeria Football Association for the home game on 24th March.

Newcastle defender Celestine Babayaro has also been recalled to the side.

Babayaro has been out of the Super Eagles squad since he was sent away from the 2004 competition in Tunisia for breaking camp rules.

Several other players who ply their trade in the English game are also included in the squad.

Wolves' duo Carl Ikheme and Seyi Olofinjana, Everton's Joseph Yobo, Port Vale defender George Abbey, John Mikel Obi from Chelsea, Wigan's Julius Aghahowa, Newcastle forward Obafemi Martins, Portsmouth's Nwankwo Kanu and Middlesbrough striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni have all received call-ups.

is he fit like?

Huh. Onuoha and Agbonlahor are England players  :idiot2:

but they can be called up by another country if they have not played for England's first team

They can, yes, but why are they bothering? How many players are going to turn down the chance to play for England one day just to play against Uganda?

but they can be called up by another country if they have not played for England's first team

They can, yes, but why are they bothering? How many players are going to turn down the chance to play for England one day just to play against Uganda?

thats what i thought, but my (aston villa fan) mate said he's a bit thick

Well Agbonlahor was named in that top 50 English players thingy a little while back and I'm of the opinion Onuoha has the ability to play for the England first team if he could get someone to sellatape his knee back together, I'm sure niether of them will accept the callup. Better not do anyway - Last player we had fook off to the Cup of Nations ended up winning it, got delayed by the Victory celebrations, fell out with Keegan as a result, never got back in the side and was sold for a fraction of his worth. Not a fan!

3 ???

Maybe they think the chance of winning something is greater with Nigeria than with England. Besides, who wants to play for England anyway? Only Englishmen.

If they wanted to play for Nigeria, they would have said no when they were called up for England squads as I believe Anichebe did...

Well Agbonlahor was named in that top 50 English players thingy a little while back and I'm of the opinion Onuoha has the ability to play for the England first team if he could get someone to sellatape his knee back together, I'm sure niether of them will accept the callup. Better not do anyway - Last player we had fook off to the Cup of Nations ended up winning it, got delayed by the Victory celebrations, fell out with Keegan as a result, never got back in the side and was sold for a fraction of his worth. Not a fan!

who was that?

who was that?

Lucien Mettomo. I doubt you would know him - he was a Cameroon centre half we signed from St Ettiene back in the days we were battering everyone a million-nil in the first division under Keegan. He was quality, always the name that springs to mind for me whenever someone brings up the "Who we never should have sold" subject. Ended up in the Bundesliga...just looked him up and he's now playing for Lucerne....Might be worth a cheeky bid  ^-^

who was that?

Lucien Mettomo. I doubt you would know him - he was a Cameroon centre half we signed from St Ettiene back in the days we were battering everyone a million-nil in the first division under Keegan. He was quality, always the name that springs to mind for me whenever someone brings up the "Who we never should have sold" subject. Ended up in the Bundesliga...just looked him up and he's now playing for Lucerne....Might be worth a cheeky bid  ^-^

seems that he hasn't even got a squad number