Playing in Europe the Premiership way

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Every time a Premiership team plays at a high tempo ala a Premiership game, the European opposition struggle. Why is that and why don't English teams play like that more often, it isn't as if they don't play like that every week anyway.

We played at a high tempo when we beat Barca 3-2 and we knocked the stuffing out of them, we did the same against Bilbao when we could have been 6-0 up up at half-time, other teams have done it.

I think we fear the continentals too much and adapt our own games to try and imitate their own, Man Utd do this especially, low tempo, patient buildup etc. and as a result, they don't always convince. Man Utd at their rip roaring best would sink any team left in this Champions League, in my opinion, as would Liverpool and Chelsea.

This has always bugged me.

Guest nufc_geordie

Liverpool proved that against Barcelona for thwe first 150 minutes of the tie. In their faces, closing down 100 mile an hour play and Barca, who are the best team in Europe, were made to look very ordinary indeed. When Liverpool won the champions league they were getting hammered, threw caution to the wind, attacked and won the game. The year Man Utd won the treble they only played one way and that was a high temp attacking game.

Any British club that plays in Europe with a high tempo will not be far away from winning. It's when we try to play the slow technical way of the foreigners we come unstuck!

Liverpool proved that against Barcelona for thwe first 150 minutes of the tie. In their faces, closing down 100 mile an hour play and Barca, who are the best team in Europe, were made to look very ordinary indeed. When Liverpool won the champions league they were getting hammered, threw caution to the wind, attacked and won the game. The year Man Utd won the treble they only played one way and that was a high temp attacking game.

Any British club that plays in Europe with a high tempo will not be far away from winning. It's when we try to play the slow technical way of the foreigners we come unstuck!

Yea, Liverpool should send out Agger, Garcia, Kuyt, Alonso, Sissoko, Hyypia etc. etc. to play against them foreigners.

And Manyoo should send out Park, Ronaldo, Vidic, Saha etc. to play against them foreigners.

Fully agree with this thread

They play fantastic quick football with high tempo in the league

When they go to the champions league,they play dull,boring, and weak football,as if they are spanish or italian teams

Just like Arsenal did yesterday,Just like the English national teams always does..

Guest SmileyCulture

I totaly agree with this thread also, it showed 100% when we played a SV Zulte-Wareg.

Both games we tried to play the slow building game and they just sat back and watched us make mugs out of ourselves trying to play there game and when we did start to play our game for breif moments of the game s we put them in their place. Otherwise we just didn't look convincing and it deffinately showed by the reactions here :p

It is simple logic that we need to play to our strength.

There is no point forcing ourself to play slow possessive football when we are so used to high tempo pressing game. Vice versa, if a Spanish team are used to ball playing game then trying to the other way is just suicide.

Personally I don't think that there must be a "best" way to play football. Possessive football is not necessarily the jinx of pressing game, vice versa. It really depends on the merit of the very team. But it would also be naive to assume that pressing game is the patent of northern European teams and possessive football the patent of Latin teams. People point to Barcelona and say they are the ball playing beautiful team, but they forget that Barcelona always press and pressurise the opponent everytime to they lost the possession. Deco, Puyol, Marquez etc never shirk in any physical battles. We talk about Manchester United playing high tempo swashbuckling game but we shouldn't forget that Scholes, Giggs, Beckham etc were very comfortable with balls and passing.

At the end of the day, it is the results that matter. The bottom line for any club who want success is that they have to have excellent players who excel both in techniques and physical confrontation.

Too much physical play too little technique you end up like Bolton, Everton and Blackburn. Too much technique too little pressing you end up like Celta Vigo or Arsenal.

There are enough talents and good players in the English National team. We just need to keep playing to our strength by maintaining our high tempo pressing game. Playing at an unfamiliar slow tempo game England could still draw Spain comfortably, what if we have more spirits and play more directly and breath at their necks more often?

Guest Knightrider

It is simple logic that we need to play to our strength.

There is no point forcing ourself to play slow possessive football when we are so used to high tempo pressing game. Vice versa, if a Spanish team are used to ball playing game then trying to the other way is just suicide.

Personally I don't think that there must be a "best" way to play football. Possessive football is not necessarily the jinx of pressing game, vice versa. It really depends on the merit of the very team. But it would also be naive to assume that pressing game is the patent of northern European teams and possessive football the patent of Latin teams. People point to Barcelona and say they are the ball playing beautiful team, but they forget that Barcelona always press and pressurise the opponent everytime to they lost the possession. Deco, Puyol, Marquez etc never shirk in any physical battles. We talk about Manchester United playing high tempo swashbuckling game but we shouldn't forget that Scholes, Giggs, Beckham etc were very comfortable with balls and passing.

At the end of the day, it is the results that matter. The bottom line for any club who want success is that they have to have excellent players who excel both in techniques and physical confrontation.

Too much physical play too little technique you end up like Bolton, Everton and Blackburn. Too much technique too little pressing you end up like Celta Vigo or Arsenal.

There are enough talents and good players in the English National team. We just need to keep playing to our strength by maintaining our high tempo pressing game. Playing at an unfamiliar slow tempo game England could still draw Spain comfortably, what if we have more spirits and play more directly and breath at their necks more often?

Good post and good comparisons regarding Blackburn/ Bolton, Arsenal/Celta Vigo.

the problem is that our national side cannot play high tempo football in major tournaments.

Because they are held in the summer.  And very often we end up playing in afternoon temps of 30+

Most of the prem is played at temp of 8c or lower.  England will NEVER win the world cup outside of europe......even european conditions(afternoon heat) are too much for them.!!!

We should invent a seperate competition held in  greenland,  wed win it every time.

I suppose psychologically you know that you lose 2 or 3 points and have another crack at the whip in the premiership, whereas in europe it can be one loss and you're out of the competition and out of alot of money....

..plus english teams are right pussies sometimes, the english mentality in sports have a habit of collapsing

the reason is that many foreign teams rely on technical ability without having the pace or strength to play this technical game at a high-tempo. of course the very best continental sides have both technical skill and the ability to play at a high tempo so it doesn't really work against them. against the 2nd class sides though who are used to lots of space and time to play possession football, they aren't neccessarily able to cope when they have big fast bastards closing them down or attacking in all directions at top speed.

look at how players like Viana and Veron couldn't cope over here, or even how Martins played at the start of the season, a more static style of play where holding your position is more important than making runs.

Guest smoggeordie

Notice how all of Roeders post match interviews have been "we played premiership style football" :lol:

:lol: I thought of this thread during the match.

First half, their defenders and goalkeeper were fucking terrified of us closing them down. We stopped doing it second half though, disappointing.

Guest Knightrider

Aye, we blitzed them first-half, second half we dropped the tempo and allowed them to dictate and to dominate it has to be said, I can see the logic in that but we don't have the defensive abilities to play a sucker punch type game, i.e to keep them out and catch them on the break. We should have stuck to the high tempo/high line way and we'd have burried them.

Guest kingdawson

This thread is 100% correct. The amount of space players are given in Europe is quite ridiculous. Altough as Johnnypod said, this only works against the lesser European teams. Braga looked shell shocked yesterday, as did Az.

The European way means that Bramble plays better as well. It amazes me that foreign teams rarely if ever realise it would be a good idea to close him down all the time, and panic him into a trademark error.

Guest Knightrider

I think it works against your bigger teams too, like Barca, Madrid and AC. Our way disrupts their whole rhythm, their whole way of playing which is what they train to do week in week out, while they have the players to adapt and play another way I agree, it is very hard to just switch during a game. When you knock a team off their stride it is hard to recover, regardless of how good they are, it is like the old starting a game slow, it is hard to build up a tempo if you start off without one.

The likes of Barca et al play super football but when an English team plays slick football at a high tempo, there is no better form of the game in my opinion, we are a shite football side but last night we played some sparkling stuff and looked a really good team, not far off the side of KK and SBR, going forward. If only we could play like that in every game...

Guest alijmitchell

I think it works against your bigger teams too, like Barca, Madrid and AC. Our way disrupts their whole rhythm, their whole way of playing which is what they train to do week in week out, while they have the players to adapt and play another way I agree, it is very hard to just switch during a game. When you knock a team off their stride it is hard to recover, regardless of how good they are, it is like the old starting a game slow, it is hard to build up a tempo if you start off without one.

The likes of Barca et al play super football but when an English team plays slick football at a high tempo, there is no better form of the game in my opinion, we are a s**** football side but last night we played some sparkling stuff and looked a really good team, not far off the side of KK and SBR, going forward. If only we could play like that in every game...

Seen this twice this season already with barca with liverpool and chelsea, the chelsea match at the nou camp being a good example of closing down the man on the ball, and disrupting their play (at any cost).

Yea, Liverpool should send out Agger, Garcia, Kuyt, Alonso, Sissoko, Hyypia etc. etc. to play against them foreigners.

And Manyoo should send out Park, Ronaldo, Vidic, Saha etc. to play against them foreigners.

Boo hiss to the foreigns.