Newcastle 4 - 2 AZ Alkmaar - Post Match Thoughts

Dave

Pretty good, but we should have killed the tie. Four goals yet i'm still worried, that's not good. :undecided:

First-half diagnosis?

Second-half diagnosis?

Full-time diagnosis?

Star man for United?

Worst United player?

Opposition comment?

Toon-pros?

Toon-cons?

Post-match feelings?

Guest Phil K

Great start, but should have been so much better - while it may have been a whole lot WORSE.

They'll concede on their own ground, while we damn well will if we make the same silly mistakes.

Guest hagler

got to start just as fast in the second leg...cause they slowly started comming back into it tonight

Very good result but still feel a bit gutted! I know people are going to lay into Taylor but I thought that was a little harsh!

Pretty harsh but see them given often.

Guest hagler

class result

altho i think they got lucky with that pen and the decision

i nearly went to the chaple park to watch it but ive got man flu

class result

altho i think they got lucky with that pen and the decision

Their attacking play overall wasn't that special. They scored through poor defending and a penalty which from the pre game bigging up of their attacking flair, you would think they would of done better.

Annoyed that we gifted them two easy goals but I thought it was a pretty positive result overall. I really fancy us to score one or more in the away leg so I think we have a really good chance.

All the players put in a decent shift, though Duff could have easily had a bigger impact. Carr did ok though wasn't really tested much.

Butt or Solano would be my MOTM

Guest magpies_rawk

i agree that while on one hand, i feel gutted to have conceded the 2nd goal, the thing is that if i were given 4-2 at the start of the match,i'd take it. AZ is a lot of hype? Maybe, but we've seen how dangerous they are at the break.

This tie is by no means laid in stone but i'd say we are in with a great chance, no? :knuppel2:

Even though we conceded two away goals, it is still ours to lose. The defence, like the rest of the team were outstanding tonight against an outstanding team.

Their first goal was undefendable, the second was just one of those bad pieces of luck.

Player ratings:

Given 8

Solano 9

Bramble 9

Taylor 7

Carr 7

Dyer 8

Parker 9

Butt 8

Duff 8

Sibierski 8

Martins 9

Can't forget the contribution of Sibbers, a fucking CLASS flick for the Dyer goal (if that was Henry it would be shown for years), and great pass to Oba for his first.

It is a very good result, absolutely no two ways about it. We've scored four goals; we don't do that very often and to do it at this stage, against this team, is brilliant. I was so pleased by that first half - we were absolutely scintillating - no exaggeration.

It's disappointing that they got another. I don't think they really deserved it tbh. They weren't good going forward and they were shit defensively. Them scoring that second goal didn't do justice to an all-round decent performance from the defense. Even Carr put in a good shift. And as bad as the penalty was, there was nothing we could do about the follow-up. I'm usually the first to lay into Bramble, but he had about half a second to stop the ball from going in there. It was unfortunate.

Thought the penalty was a little bit harsh tbh. His hands were well tucked in and it would have hit his stomach.

But anyway, if someone had offered me 4-2 beforehand, i'd have bitten their hand off. One goal i feel over there should secure it.

*Remembers what he said before the Lisbon game*

I think we deserved our three goal lead. Their back four looked a bit ponderous.

The penalty decision was one of the most unintelligent that I've seen. Taylor had his arms pressed right down by his sides, in order to minimise the risk of handling it. I think the ref knew the minute he'd made the decision that he'd bungled. If a defender goes towards the ball with his arms flapping all over the place, that invites suspicion, but Taylor was doing the dead opposite.

Some good individual performances. Titus produced the tackle of the season to prevent a near certain goal. Duff showed a few moments of real class as well. Nobby created a lot down the right.

Looks a bit 50-50 now. A 2-0 win will see them through.