Potential trophy signing-tastic

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Roberto Carlos has revealed that he will leave Real Madrid when his contract expires on 30 June.

The 33-year-old Brazil defender told Spanish radio station Onda Cero: "It's time for a change."

He has discussed his future with sporting director Predrag Mijatovic and president Ramon Calderon, with Turkish side Fenerbahce reportedly interested.

And Carlos added: "I have told Pedja and the president that I am going. I am not going to renew my contract."

The 2002 World Cup winner announced his retirement from international football after last summer's tournament in Germany.

He also told Spanish sports daily Marca: "I've got three or four more years of football and I want to play at the highest level.

"I don't know if that's in Brazil, in Qatar or where."

The veteran was subjected to criticism after an error inside the first 10 seconds gave Bayern Munich a goal as Real went out of the Champions League.

And he added: "I'm 33 years old and I don't deserve more suffering.

"I've been at this club 11 years, in which in seven-and-a-half years we won many things, but we lose one game and all of the fault has landed on me. I don't accept this.

"Given Wednesday's game, I felt bad, and I spoke about it a lot and at this moment my sporting career at Real Madrid is finished

"It is a decision I made myself. I don't want to cheat the Madrid supporters. It's better to leave Madrid now and think a little bit more about my life.

"It's a delicate moment of my life. It's very sad."

i think that he can play at least 2 more years

The best attacking LB in the world (Maldini being the best defensive LB)  over the last 10+ years imo, not as good as he was, going down hill now, but still bloody good, i'd take him for a couple of seasons here 100% definately (on loan would be great). He could make a huge huge difference to us and have us chalenging for the top 4. But in saying that i doubt very much he'd come here as more fashionable clubs with money to burn will no doubt be scrambling for his signature. He'd be offered outrageously high wages somewhere. But if we could get him he could attract other Brazilians etc.

Would have him here anyday..But it seems impossible considering Roeder's signing's policy and the fact that he will end his career in a small club,not a big one

Also,Cannavaro is confirmed to be leaving Madrid ate the end  of the season,we should try signing him even though its impossible..

Guest Knightrider

A few years back, he was awesome, but he has never consistently convinced and become a bit of a hollywood type player (or the typical Real Madrid player ;)). Now Cafu...

Guest anthony118

Past it really, and would probably cost a fortune in wages, but would still do a better job than Babayaro.

It was always a crime that anyone ever mentioned him in the same breath as one Paolo Maldini.

Aye, it's as ridiculous as the (sarcastic) comparisons between Bramble and Baresi.

Maldini = the greatest left back in (at least) the past 20 years

Roberto Carlos = the man who built a career on the back of one free kick

Guest king harry

A good attacking fullback in his day but never a quality defensive fullback, even in his prime the amount of times i seen him lose the ball in the opposition half, and walk back was untrue, ive seen him cost Real a good few goals down the years, sure he scored a few and made a few as well. He was a luxury type of player but i personally prefer my full backs to think of defending as there main job.