Newcastle in Europe

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

I know we are all guilty of writing our team off (myself included), mainly because this is Newcastle United, who will go to the Serie A table toppers with a team of bairns, win 1-0 and lose a home match against Sheff Utd in the follow up game, but in Europe, we are a different team and have been for a long time, just look at our record, pound for pound it is as good as anyone's overall (all games included) and while we fear an AZ comeback and elimination, we shouldn't be too hard on the team as we are more than capable. We've kept clean sheets away to Palermo and in Germany, we are a different team in Europe and I personally think our players are more suited to the lower pace and tempo at this level, especially in defence and midfield. I fancy our chances. 10 wins, 3 draws is it? We've had the toughest route to the Quarters too. :thup:

Aye, we are far better than a lot of people give us credit for. Of course we're not Keegan's team anymore, but some of the European wins this season have been really heartening to see. If we can transfer that form over to the league more often than we have done, then next season is starting to look a far brighter prospect, if we don't get done with injuries yet again.

Guest smoggeordie

not wanting to be a negative vibe merchant but i suppose some might say that we're doing well 'cause european teams haven't worked us out - the vast majority of the PL have, particularly at home

At home, where we are undefeated in about 5 months in the league? It's away where we are shit.

fair comment obviously but teams do know how to PLAY against us at home don't they? 

sit deep, invite pressure, wait for us to get frustrated and make an ar*e of something simple at the back gifting them a chance....

didn't see AZ but given the scorline i'd guess they came to SJP and tried to play and we had better individuals than them?  when the likes of man u come to SJP they come to play and have better individuals than us and thus don't need the sitting deep tactics

Werder vs Spuds in the next round would be superb

Yup, and Sevilla v Benfica if they do manage to get through.

I  will bet my money on that in the next round we will be drawn against either Sevilla,Bremen or Benfica

Guest Invicta_Toon

I know we are all guilty of writing our team off (myself included), mainly because this is Newcastle United, who will go to the Serie A table toppers with a team of bairns, win 1-0 and lose a home match against Sheff Utd in the follow up game, but in Europe, we are a different team and have been for a long time, just look at our record, pound for pound it is as good as anyone's overall (all games included) and while we fear an AZ comeback and elimination, we shouldn't be too hard on the team as we are more than capable. We've kept clean sheets away to Palermo and in Germany, we are a different team in Europe and I personally think our players are more suited to the lower pace and tempo at this level, especially in defence and midfield. I fancy our chances. 10 wins, 3 draws is it? We've had the toughest route to the Quarters too. :thup:

common factor? - no large crowd getting on the teams back if we're not 2-0 up at HT

Guest stormrider

To be honest, Europe is shit compared to England. Just look how many teams England has in the late rounds of the CL and UC, actually, few English teams went out and we're currently in an advanced stage.

Guest Invicta_Toon

To be honest, Europe is shit compared to England. Just look how many teams England has in the late rounds of the CL and UC, actually, few English teams went out and we're currently in an advanced stage.

purely random,

one year it was spanish teams, before that italian teams

plus not a single english manager and not too many english creative players

Guest Knightrider

Our record in Europe:  Played:119  Won:69 Drawn:22 Lost:28  Goals for:208  Goals against:117

That is a formidable record.

Guest stormrider

To be honest, Europe is s*** compared to England. Just look how many teams England has in the late rounds of the CL and UC, actually, few English teams went out and we're currently in an advanced stage.

purely random,

one year it was spanish teams, before that italian teams

plus not a single english manager and not too many english creative players

Who said anything about the core English teams being English ;)

Guest JamesD

Our record in Europe:  Played:119  Won:69 Drawn:22 Lost:28  Goals for:208  Goals against:117

i know we've won our share of high profile european games, but we've also played quite a few tiny teams along the way, which certainly helps that record.

Guest Knightrider

i know we've won our share of high profile european games, but we've also played quite a few tiny teams along the way, which certainly helps that record.

We've beaten some accomplished sides over the years, our home record is especially good.

Out of the teams we've played, and the games we've won - we deserve to do well in this competition by now. I'm desperate to see us win it.

You're not the only one, fella. If we get past AZ then we are in for another huge night at SJP, at the least, and one that we might even see Michael Owen involved in, depending on whether the home/away leg comes first.

It is imperative that we keep people fit this time, by not over-working them. We got undone against Marseille and Sporting because we had too many irons in the fire both times, no such things distracting us  now.

Guest Knightrider

Out of the teams we've played, and the games we've won - we deserve to do well in this competition by now. I'm desperate to see us win it.

You're not the only one, fella. If we get past AZ then we are in for another huge night at SJP, at the least, and one that we might even see Michael Owen involved in, depending on whether the home/away leg comes first.

It is imperative that we keep people fit this time, by not over-working them. We got undone against Marseille and Sporting because we had too many irons in the fire both times, no such things distracting us  now.

Should we concentrate all our efforts on the UEFA Cup? I have to say, I'm tempted like.

Should we concentrate all our efforts on the UEFA Cup? I have to say, I'm tempted like.

I don't know if we can afford to, financially. Each league placing is worth £500k or so, isn't it?

That's a hell of a lot of money to us in our current situation and a good league position PLUS a good UEFA run would go a hell of a long way to appeasing fans for next season.

However, if the calendar works out like UEFA (Thursday), League (Sunday) and UEFA (Thursday) again, then it would be acceptable IMO to rest some players in the league game. We've been "lucky" this week because it's an FA Cup weekend, but if we get past AZ I don't think this situation will arise again.

Here's what could happen in reality:

QF First Leg = 5th April 2007

Sheff Utd (a) = 7th/8th April 2007

QF Second Leg = 12th April 2007

I would most definitely rest people at Brammall Lane, as we always lose away anyway.

SF First Leg = 26th April 2007

Reading (a) = 28th/29th April 2007

SF Second Leg = 3rd May 2007

Same again here. If we DO progress in the UEFA the timing couldn't have been better, because fans will be a lot less annoyed by losing away to Sheff Utd/Reading than they would losing a home game.

Obviously we're getting ahead of ourselves, but the schedule is very kind.

Yep, we should. We're not going to get relegated and it's unlikely that we'll qualify for Europe automatically anyway. Whether it be through the UEFA Cup or the automatic places.

We really should go for it.

Have to say though, I'd have fancied us a lot more in those two ties had the home leg been second.

Have to say though, I'd have fancied us a lot more in those two ties had the home leg been second.

Aye, I know what you're saying, but I'm still not sure we had enough to win either time due to injuries/timing and all that nonsense. This time is a completely different story, though, as Sheffield United and Reading are the two games in between the two Quarters' and two Semi's, there are no FA Cup matches or league challenges to get in the way.