Extra-time in two-legged matches.

Optimistic Nut

Watching a re-run of Milan v Celtic, and personally, I think they should do away with extra-time in two-legged cup-ties. Here's why.

One team has to play on the opposition's pitch for longer, meaning the home side in the second-leg has the advantage of an extra 30 minutes in their home ground. Eg, on Wednesday night, at 0-0 overall, Milan would obviously hold the advantage. Also though, say the away side scores first, it's then not fair on the home side that the away side are allowed an extra 30 minutes to get an away goal. Surely if it's level after 90 minutes of both legs and away goals isn't a factor, then it should go straight to penalties?

Discuss.

Yeah, I've always said this. That's how Wigan got to the Carling Cup final last season, through having more time to score an away goal at Arsenal, which they did and went through 2-2 on aggregate, not fair at all.

I thought it used to be, in European competition, that away goals would apply up to full time, then after that it would be normal extra time, that's how it should be imo. I'm not sure if this has ever been the case though, maybe I just thought it was because that seemed the fair option. I can see your point about home advantage though.

But it's a lot easier to score a goal at home than away so not really.

I disagree. In fact in many ways, I think it can be easier as the home side perceive the onus as being them to open up and attack, allowing a side with the likes of Martins and Dyer in it to hit them on the break. In contrast, we always find it harder to break down a team that compacts itself at SJP. If IIIII were the manager... I'd alter the focus of these ties and see the away leg as an opportunity to upset the opposition's applecart and score a few goals.

And yes, I agree broadly with the OP. I also disagree with the criticism of penalties - I've always been a supporter (and fan) of them.

Guest Invicta_Toon

If you can't take advantage of being at home for 90 minutes then there should be extra time to even up the score

a punishment for being shit if you will

Guest stormrider

Watching a re-run of Milan v Celtic, and personally, I think they should do away with extra-time in two-legged cup-ties. Here's why.

One team has to play on the opposition's pitch for longer, meaning the home side in the second-leg has the advantage of an extra 30 minutes in their home ground. Eg, on Wednesday night, at 0-0 overall, Milan would obviously hold the advantage. Also though, say the away side scores first, it's then not fair on the home side that the away side are allowed an extra 30 minutes to get an away goal. Surely if it's level after 90 minutes of both legs and away goals isn't a factor, then it should go straight to penalties?

Discuss.

So if Celtic drew milan 1-1 in the last minute, would they have qualified on away goals or would the game go to penalties?

Discuss.

So if Celtic drew milan 1-1 in the last minute, would they have qualified on away goals or would the game go to penalties?

Celtic would have went through...which is my point.

Guest stormrider

Discuss.

but this way it kinda evens up, milan have the home advantage and celtic have the away goal chance.

Discuss.

but this way it kinda evens up, milan have the home advantage and celtic have the away goal chance.

But wouldn't you agree it's a lot more likely for the home advantage to shine through more often than not?