Do we have the makings of a good team?

Guest Knightrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

Despite poor performances and our league position, as well as our injuries, we have won 10 games in Europe and drew the others, where as since Roeder took over, our league form has been top 6 material. I think we are an average side at the moment with one or two decent players, but I don't think it would take a great deal to become a good team, so I guess we do have the makings of a decent side, would be my vote. How about you?

Despite poor performances and our league position, as well as our injuries, we have won 10 games in Europe and drew the others, where as since Roeder took over, our league form has been top 6 material. I think we are an average side at the moment with one or two decent players, but I don't think it would take a great deal to become a good team, so I guess we do have the makings of a decent side, would be my vote. How about you?

With a better manager, we'd have easily finished top 6 this season with those players.

I think we are still 4 or 5 players away from being consistently good.  Although a well-planned, well-executed transfer strategy this summer could go a long way to correcting that (not much hope of that, I'm afraid).  Give us a pair of decent full backs, a top quality creative midfielder, possibly an experienced centre-half, and preferably another striker and we could be very competitive next year.

I think we are still 4 or 5 players away from being consistently good.  Although a well-planned, well-executed transfer strategy this summer could go a long way to correcting that (not much hope of that, I'm afraid).  Give us a pair of decent full backs, a top quality creative midfielder, possibly an experienced centre-half, and preferably another striker and we could be very competitive next year.

Who wouldn't be competetive with that tbf?

Our fullyfit team has a chance of winning anything tbh..

With a better manager + Better defence we will have a world class team,Yes,world class..

The only problem is that while we are good from all the aspects,we have a good stadium wich is full for most of the time,we have some fantastic players,we have money to spend every season,we just need to find someone who is able to use all those things to our advantage..

This Summer transfer window is vital, If we get in a few quality player then i cant see why we wont be a top 6 team, Take out the top 4 and the league is pretty much poor atm. Consistancy is the key, We seem to have a problem of winning games which we are expecting to win. I think next season will be a better season because the likes of Owen will be back but also im hoping that Roeder does well in the transfer market and gets quality full backs as well as a good CD.

With a better manager, we'd have easily finished top 6 this season with those players.

That's what it comes down to, you can have all the players you want but you won't finish high in the league without a good coach.

Thats 5 summer signings.  Not much more than most clubs get up to in a summer.  I'm not talking about world class players in most cases, just decent squad signings to avoid playing 18 year old reservists and fat right-backs out of position during the season. 

Guest optimistic nit

well...

Given, i reckon is one of the top keepers in the league, and krul could be one for the future so were not lacking in that department.

solano would comfotably fit in as a right back imo at a good team, so we have a right back, although he is getting on a bit, so a young apprentice may be needed.

Our centre backs are a bit hot and cold. bramble can be a brilliant defender one minute, and give a way a goal the next. taylor can be a brilliant defender one minute and then do something utterly braindead.

Dyer is playing brilliantly at the moment imo, could challenge for a place in most league teams, certainly in liverpool and the arse and all teams below 4th.

Duff has apparently been very poor this season, although whenever i've seen him (50% of the time admittadly against shite opposition) he's been a brilliant dribbler lacking end product, but he was very good vs alkmaar.

Parker and Butt work very well against teams like az i think. both are very good defensively and good attackingly as well i think. their not the best strikers of the ball but imo parker spreads the play well and butt is very good at putting the strikers in. Emre also makes up for these two by being a very good attack minded CM. Martins could really challenge as a striker at any club in the league imo. Not as good as drogba, rooney and henry but out of the challenging back (who i regard as kuyt, berbatov and martins (and maybe carew and few others)) he's adapted best to this league and has played the best so far (although berb has been impressive). owen also could challenge any striker in the league imo.

when you look at players like the zog and milner you also see very good young talents that are pushing the likes of duff and dyer.

we'll still never be more than a midtable club until we get decent backroom staff mind, and our stregnth in depth is very poor, our squad is definately top 6 though.

well...

Given, i reckon is one of the top keepers in the league, and krul could be one for the future so were not lacking in that department.

solano would comfotably fit in as a right back imo at a good team, so we have a right back, although he is getting on a bit, so a young apprentice may be needed.

Our centre backs are a bit hot and cold. bramble can be a brilliant defender one minute, and give a way a goal the next. taylor can be a brilliant defender one minute and then do something utterly braindead.

Dyer is playing brilliantly at the moment imo, could challenge for a place in most league teams, certainly in liverpool and the arse and all teams below 4th.

Duff has apparently been very poor this season, although whenever i've seen him (50% of the time admittadly against s**** opposition) he's been a brilliant dribbler lacking end product, but he was very good vs alkmaar.

Parker and Butt work very well against teams like az i think. both are very good defensively and good attackingly as well i think. their not the best strikers of the ball but imo parker spreads the play well and butt is very good at putting the strikers in. Emre also makes up for these two by being a very good attack minded CM. Martins could really challenge as a striker at any club in the league imo. Not as good as drogba, rooney and henry but out of the challenging back (who i regard as kuyt, berbatov and martins (and maybe carew and few others)) he's adapted best to this league and has played the best so far (although berb has been impressive). owen also could challenge any striker in the league imo.

when you look at players like the zog and milner you also see very good young talents that are pushing the likes of duff and dyer.

we'll still never be more than a midtable club until we get decent backroom staff mind, and our stregnth in depth is very poor, our squad is definately top 6 though.

Solano does get his fair share of injuries every season so i think a RB is needed althou not as urgent as a LB, I'd like to see us get a promising up and coming RB who will eventually take over from Solano. Carr should be sold asap

Yeah, we do have the makings of a good team. Without so many injuries, we're top 6 material squad-wise, but I don't think Roeder is the man to take us forward with the current squad. A deeper squad, a couple of extra players and a couple of replacements, and a truly decent manager and we'd be far better off than we are now.

Guest Knightrider

If we can strengthen the first-team we'll demote some of the regulars down to back-up, thus improving the squad, doing that would be a big step in the right direction. The likes of Bramble, Ameobi, Butt et al would make excellent squad players.

Guest Knightrider

Yeah, we do have the makings of a good team. Without so many injuries, we're top 6 material squad-wise, but I don't think Roeder is the man to take us forward with the current squad. A deeper squad, a couple of extra players and a couple of replacements, and a truly decent manager and we'd be far better off than we are now.

I think all of that would be good enough for the top 6, points wise since Roeder took over, we are a top 6 team, so I'm not too concerned about the gap from where we are now upto 6th in that context, it is a very small one as the current points deficit of 6 shows.

Guest andynufc84

Short answer would probably be yes, but as already mentioned its crucial what we do in the summer window.

It was brilliant viewing in the first half last night, AZ had simply no response defenisviely to what we were doing, they were stunned. That 1st half display definately gives me hope.

I would say we need to sign quality full backs, players who can not only defend but who can bring the ball forward and join in with the attacking play - especially at home. Still think we need another quality ball playing CB and a creative central midfielder.

I think all of that would be good enough for the top 6, points wise since Roeder took over, we are a top 6 team, so I'm not too concerned about the gap from where we are now upto 6th in that context, it is a very small one as the current points deficit of 6 shows.

By that, I meant top 6 for years to come.

Pointswise, I'd imagine Pompey would be pushing 4th place close over the last year.

Guest Knightrider

By that, I meant top 6 for years to come.

Oh, then I agree with you.

when fully fit for me we have a better first 11 and squad then when we finished 3rd,4th,5th under Sir Bobby Robson.

i think the future is bright in that respect.

particularly with the return of Michael Owen to partner Obafemi Martins, what fire power we will have.

problem is Roeder has not yet in his year in charge been able to pick our strongest first 11 due to horrendous injury list.

Out.

Moore

Bernard

Emre

Luque

In.

Squad Member CB

First-Choice CB

First-Choice LB

First-Choice RB

Creative CM

I'm not going to name players because I don't know who. That's the scouts' and Roeder's job not mine. Onyewu as the back-up centre-back would make sense though.

Given, Harper, Krul

RB, Carr

LB, Babayaro

Taylor, Onyewu, Ramage

CB, Bramble, Huntington

Milner, Solano

Duff, N'Zogbia

Parker, Butt

Dyer, CM

Owen, Martins

Ameobi, Sibierski

The need for two new fullbacks is far greater than the need for a new midfielder. Stringing a run of games together, both Emre and Dyer could easily make that "creative midfielder" spot theirs, I'm positive.

The need for two new fullbacks is far greater than the need for a new midfielder. Stringing a run of games together, both Emre and Dyer could easily make that "creative midfielder" spot theirs, I'm positive.

Can't see Emre staying. If he does though, I'd happily keep him.

We need top manager otherwise we will be top 6 team forever

3-4 years ago Liverpool under Houlier were very similar to us

They had some very good players but nothing more

They hired top class manager and now they are one of the best teams in Europe