Do we have the makings of a good team?

Guest Knightrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I have been thinking about fullbacks for quite a long time now, Does anyone have any fullbacks for NUFC in mind?

I feel that Solano should be playing there att RB next season and invest that money elsewhere instead as i think he can do a more than a good job in that position as he has done so far this season.

I feel that we should look abroad and see if we can find a quality player that isn't too overpriced like some brittish players.

Making a good team... no i guess.... too much injuries makes  the players progress still stack at the place right now... we can hope for owen will be awesome for next season but .. what will guaranteed that he will take the boot precisely as what we want him to do... our good performer this season has been not consistent enough to game by game... (not consistent =bad perform or injuries) and also some of good performer are too old i.e. Solano, Butt, Le Sib. Making a good team is can be the first team must consistent enough and also had cover that have standard that the first team was.. that which we don't have... i think NUFC for few years will be still the same... the yoyo mid table team. Roeder failure in transfer market makes me doubt also.. will this summer we can get the player that we want??.... and sure also the player that we want is much also in many position. Full back, CB, striker, DM to cover the first team and also be the new memeber of first team.

I have been thinking about fullbacks for quite a long time now, Does anyone have any fullbacks for NUFC in mind?

I feel that Solano should be playing there att RB next season and invest that money elsewhere instead as i think he can do a more than a good job in that position as he has done so far this season.

I feel that we should look abroad and see if we can find a quality player that isn't too overpriced like some brittish players.

Warnock went for something like 1.5 mil to Blackburn in January.  He would have been a good buy IMO.  Reasonably priced, experienced in England.

I'm not sure if I agree about looking abroad.  Young players like Bale will go for ridiculous money, but there are other options. Nicky Shorey has performed very well this year and would go for a lot less because he isn't in his teens.  I'd rather have someone proven in the league.  Even fullbacks that are rather decent/average by Premiership standards (Bocanegra, Lauren, Nicky Hunt) would be a vast improvement on playing someone past it like Carr or Academy centre-halves.  We don't need world beaters, just Premiership capable defenders.

Warnock went for something like 1.5 mil to Blackburn in January.  He would have been a good buy IMO.  Reasonably priced, experienced in England.

I'm not sure if I agree about looking abroad.  Young players like Bale will go for ridiculous money, but there are other options. Nicky Shorey has performed very well this year and would go for a lot less because he isn't in his teens.  I'd rather have someone proven in the league.  Even fullbacks that are rather decent/average by Premiership standards (Bocanegra, Lauren, Nicky Hunt) would be a vast improvement on playing someone past it like Carr or Academy centre-halves.  We don't need world beaters, just Premiership capable defenders.

We wont  get any "world beaters" But i would rather go for real quality than buy one of those that you mentioned and after a season or two going for a new player again.

I say sign players for now and for the future.. Instead of going for players that "just is better than what we have atm"

If we dont go for players that will improve our team alot for now and in the future we will just have to live with being a loooooong way from the top four

Guest TampaToon

we don't have players who could walk into any side in the world and start, but our first-choice XI is certainly more talented than 2/3 of the league at the least when healthy.

our youth is a strength (in the 1st team, the academy players are still a ways away from Prem standard), with very few players on the wrong side of 30 and several players (taylor, zog, martins, milner, hopefully gooch) with many better years ahead. 

our biggest liabilities are the full backs and squad depth.  sort those 2 issues out and we're a top 6 side in the running for CL the next 5 seasons, even under roeder who is far from an elite manager but a good team-builder IMO. we have the makings of a team that can be a success over the long term rather than just having a flash-in-the-pan season every 4 years or so.

RB-Lucas Neil,Luke Young,Johny Heitinga,Ben Haim=these 4 are the first i can think about

LB-Wayne Bridge,Gareth Bale,Paul Konchesky,Ben Haim

I think if we sign someone of these 7 itwill improve our squad and will make the team better

In 2 years we could have...

New RB  New CB  Taylor New LB

Milner Emre Parker Zog

Martins Owen

Which, depending on the quality of the new defenders, would be a pretty darn good team. Definitely top 6 if not top 4 material. (Assuming Milner, Zog, and Taylor don't go wrecking their careers)

Then again, there is a LOT of "if"s involved in that scenario

Milner Emre Parker Zog

Martins Owen

Which, depending on the quality of the new defenders, would be a pretty darn good team. Definitely top 6 if not top 4 material. (Assuming Milner, Zog, and Taylor don't go wrecking their careers)

Couldn't we field that team next year? Why wait two?

Milner Emre Parker Zog

Martins Owen

cos it's only the year after next that goalkeepers become illegal....................apparently

Milner Emre Parker Zog

Martins Owen

cos it's only the year after next that goalkeepers become illegal....................apparently

You've been on fire lately ;D

Re: the fullbacks issue. We need a LB who can offer what Solano does on the right hand side, if at all possible. Doesn't need to be great in the air, doesn't need to be particularly lightning fast, just someone who can pick a pass and who is composed on the ball. As already stated by many it's going to be hard to not improve on Babayaro, who isn't atrocious, but who is injured far too often and who seems to be declining more and more with every passing season.

Left-back is THE priority positions in my eyes and I think we'll fill it with a very good signing as it seems Roeder has also pinpointed this area as one that needs a strong player incoming. I think Nobby easily has another year in him at RB and I don't think Carr is that bad of a back-up, if the fat bugger stays fit, so I'd be appeased if a CB and a LB were signed over the summer.

Milner Emre Parker Zog

Martins Owen

You've been on fire lately ;D

Re: the fullbacks issue. We need a LB who can offer what Solano does on the right hand side, if at all possible. Doesn't need to be great in the air, doesn't need to be particularly lightning fast, just someone who can pick a pass and who is composed on the ball. As already stated by many it's going to be hard to not improve on Babayaro, who isn't atrocious, but who is injured far too often and who seems to be declining more and more with every passing season.

Left-back is THE priority positions in my eyes and I think we'll fill it with a very good signing as it seems Roeder has also pinpointed this area as one that needs a strong player incoming. I think Nobby easily has another year in him at RB and I don't think Carr is that bad of a back-up, if the fat bugger stays fit, so I'd be appeased if a CB and a LB were signed over the summer.

a good piece of business could be ship out carr..(most would be happy if i stopped now),and buy a young up and coming right back as it seems like we don't have one on the books.i've been impressed with solano at right back,thought he would struggle away from home but has survived........wonder about his distribution now though as it has been poor in the last few games,is this down to the player or is it tome to look at full backs and see their job isn't so easy ?

Aye, but when I put my memory cap on I recall a lot of games where Nobby's wand has had an off-day, even when he's played right of midfield his passing has been piss-poor for someone who is capable of picking out a team-mate so beautifully on most occasions.

I completely agree in that I would like to see Carr sold (if anyone would take him), but I'm just skeptical that our funds could stretch to finding an up-and-coming RB and so would endure him for another season, as long as he wasn't a first-choice player. If we can sell Carr then I would not sniff at Roeder keeping a hold of Edgar and trying to mould him into a modern right-back because he is the only one of our young defenders who is good enough on the ball to even be considered for this role.

It would be a crime if someone who has shown the glimpses of potential that Davey has is shipped out to keep a hold of Stephen Carr.

Does anyone else reckon that Edgar has the potential to play at right-back? Could he have a better senior professional to learn the trade from than Solano? It seems like the lad knows how to defend, more or less, so Solano could bring on his attacking play more than anything and help him improve his reading of the game. It's all very idealist, I know, but I can't see Edgar getting a look-in in the centre next term unless we find ourselves cursed again, and if we do address the LB position he's not going to get a shot there either (not that he ever should, being right-footed!)

Edgar for future RB? Could be a worthwhile bandwagon to create.