Laptop help

marko1892

I recently bought a new AC adapter for my laptop as the old one broke down on me. And up until yesterday i have had no complaints with it.

But yesterday it has started playing up and doing exactly the same as what my old power pack did, After about an hour or so when the AC adapter is hot it will start shorting out (quickly turning off and on). Now Yesterday i also bout a wireless network card and im wondering if this (or anything else) is drawing too much power from the AC adapter causing it to over heat or something?

Ive also thought of the possibility that it could be something else, What would you think is my problem? do you think the power pack is dodgy or do you think that it is too much of a coincidence that this is happening?

I was thinking of possibly taking it to PC World they have a pc clinic place there and they should be able to have a look at it, though they will probably rip my eyeballs out with the price.

:shock:

I have a similar problem, I'm at my wits end with it. I've had the problem for a good year now, first of all the power input started going on and off, so the screen would basically be flashing and flickering then I started having further problems where it would actually be off unless in a certain position, I'd really have to fiddle with the cable in the back of the computer to get it right.

It's now developed to a point where I can't move the laptop because the slightest movement will knock the cable out of position and it can take hours to get back in and working properly. Currently I have to wrench the cable as far in one direction as it will go and jam it under the computer to hold it in place. Couldn't possibly use the laptop as it should be i.e. mobile. Doesn't happen when overheated though, it's just permanent.

I'd like to buy a new adaptor, but I don't know where I would get one because Sony don't make mine anymore, so it would have to be a universal one, they cost a fortune and I don't even know if that's the problem, one shop said it could be some sort of problem with the motherboard.

At the moment, I'm stuck with it, so, erm, that's probably no use to you, but it could well be the same problem. What laptop is it? Mine's a Sony Vaio PCG-GRV616G.

One thing, I'd say the one place you do not want to take it is PC World, you might as well take it into McDonald's and ask them to take a look at it.

:shock:

I have a similar problem, I'm at my wits end with it. I've had the problem for a good year now, first of all the power input started going on and off, so the screen would basically be flashing and flickering then I started having further problems where it would actually be off unless in a certain position, I'd really have to fiddle with the cable in the back of the computer to get it right.

It's now developed to a point where I can't move the laptop because the slightest movement will knock the cable out of position and it can take hours to get back in and working properly. Currently I have to wrench the cable as far in one direction as it will go and jam it under the computer to hold it in place. Couldn't possibly use the laptop as it should be i.e. mobile. Doesn't happen when overheated though, it's just permanent.

I'd like to buy a new adaptor, but I don't know where I would get one because Sony don't make mine anymore, so it would have to be a universal one, they cost a fortune and I don't even know if that's the problem, one shop said it could be some sort of problem with the motherboard.

At the moment, I'm stuck with it, so, erm, that's probably no use to you, but it could well be the same problem. What laptop is it? Mine's a Sony Vaio PCG-GRV616G.

One thing, I'd say the one place you do not want to take it is PC World, you might as well take it into McDonald's and ask them to take a look at it.

Try looking at your AC adapter if you can it will have a model number on the back, all i did was type it into ebay and i got lucky. though it cost me around £40.

I still cant figure out the problem, but i have came to the conclusion that it must be either the power pack, a loose connection somewhere or possibly a fan not working inside the laptop, ive had it three years and its still a fecking brilliant machine like.

I have an Acer Travelmate 240, Ive had no problems with it at all up until this point. My battery is ****ed but to be honest i dont mind plugging my laptop in whilst i use it.

I agree with you with PC World like ive had a hell of a problem with them in the past. Though im not sure where else i would trust with my laptop, especially around boro. Thing is with Laptops its not like they can be fixed easily like a normal desktop computer, if a fan is bust inside the laptop a replacement part could take weeks to get etc.

Funny thing is before i started this post the power was flickering on and off like described above but it seems to have stopped now. fingers crossed.

Guest Lazlo

I recently bought a new AC adapter for my laptop as the old one broke down on me. And up until yesterday i have had no complaints with it.

But yesterday it has started playing up and doing exactly the same as what my old power pack did, After about an hour or so when the AC adapter is hot it will start shorting out (quickly turning off and on). Now Yesterday i also bout a wireless network card and im wondering if this (or anything else) is drawing too much power from the AC adapter causing it to over heat or something?

Ive also thought of the possibility that it could be something else, What would you think is my problem? do you think the power pack is dodgy or do you think that it is too much of a coincidence that this is happening?

I was thinking of possibly taking it to PC World they have a pc clinic place there and they should be able to have a look at it, though they will probably rip my eyeballs out with the price.

The only way you're going to get any joy is by having your laptop tested under load. If you don't know someone who's savvy enough then taking it to a shop is the only real alternative.

Most power supplys contain a thermal cut-off, it protects the varnish/insulation in the transformer if it becomes too hot. The thing is, even if it is this it could be caused by your computer drawing too much current from the supply, which makes the prognosis almost impossible.

I'd bite the bullet and take it in, unless it's a known issue with the supply that they cut off when hot. There is a good possibility if you have added new hardware then this cut-off is happening because of that

Im not sure if the problem is battery based, tonite i took out the power lead when the power started cutting on and off, and i let my battery run the laptop, for all of 3 minutes before it needed recharging, I have noticed that whilst charging the batter the powerpack doesnt cut on and off, but as soon as the battery is charged then it does.

I'm wondering if there is a connection, surely it must be I dont really want to fork out £50 on a new laptop battery though! :(