Vegetarianism Or Meat-eating?

BlufPurdi

Which are you?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you?

• Meat-eater?
    • Vegetarianism
    • Or worse... Vegan?

I've nothing against veggies and the likes, but I've never once had a convincing argument from them.  Not even one for why they prefer to not eat meat, or why we shouldn't eat meat.  Well, this is your chance.  I understand moral decisions, to an extent, but those that try to peddle the Veggies = healthier crap put a big grin on my face.

For the record, I go through meat like a fucking bear.  :banana:

I've nothing against veggies and the likes, but I've never once had a convincing argument from them. Not even one for why they prefer to not eat meat, or why we shouldn't eat meat. Well, this is your chance.

For the record, I go through meat like a fucking bear. :banana:

I've had an arguement with one. He didn't convince me. Don't know what i'd do without meat actually :s

Guest ChickenKiev

I was a vegetarian until I started leaning toward the sunlight.

Rita Rudner

US comedian

I'm one, purely on moral grounds though, it's actually more healthy to eat meat, fish etc. though (obviously in moderation). I don't actually have a problem with others eating meat/fish. I think people should give more of a shit about where there food comes from though and the welfare of those animals.

Famous veggies include Hitler, Buddha and Jesus btw ;)

Veggie here for moral reasons, too. Also, I can honestly say I wouldn't eat meat even if I didn't give a shit about the animals. I fail to see why you'd eat the stuff for pleasure. That said, it'd make life easier, not having to check yoghurts for gelatine and things...

I'm a vegetarian out of choice. I wouldn't wish to convince anyone else or impose my preference upon anyone else though, if that's what this thread is about. I just don't want to eat dead or living animal flesh. :)

I think i'd rather be immoral, and not eat rabbit food ;)

Funnily enough, I was just about to make a second post on that. You're right, some vegetarians do eat Rabbit food... why? I eat pizzas, macaroni cheese, normal things. I hate vegetables and pulses and all that shite, and avoid them at every opportunity. Truth be told, you've probably got bigger, floppier ears than me.

Funnily enough, I was just about to make a second post on that. You're right, some vegetarians do eat Rabbit food... why? I eat pizzas, macaroni cheese, normal things. I hate vegetables and pulses and all that shite, and avoid them at every opportunity. Truth be told, you've probably got bigger, floppier ears than me.

bluelaugh.gif I'm not that hot on pulses or too many  vegetables either. Truth be told, i'm probably going to drop down dead at around 40 whilst your going to be there long after me (without other factors of course  :winking:). The fact i'm a fussy eater doesn't help either mind. So i'd be murder if i was a veggie, i think i'd be more or less a bone. I tried the macrobiotic stuff for a while, but it just tastes like shit and is far too expensive to keep up.

On the other hand for you though, i suppose it's quite hard to keep up with being a veggie? I mean not many places cater for veggies. Not in my experience with veggie friends anyway. Your bound to be not getting all of the minerals and stuff you need if that's the case.

Iron deficiency, Vitamin B12 deficiency and calcium deficiency , Vitamin D deficiency, Amino-acid balance and protein content, lower blood levels of some minerals such as copper, zinc and selenium.

I happen to think veggies are hypocritical, do fish not live, breathe yadda yadda? (Those that aren't vegans of course). Weak arguement i know  tongue3.gif. People are always going to eat meat, so a certain amount of people not eating meat aren't ever going to stop it, it's obviously personal choices though. I'm dead against cruelty to animals and poor rearing, mainly because i want to know what's going in my body, but i just love meat. I made one step to vegetarianism in a roundabout way. I won't buy or eat a chicken with Hockburn!

Vegetarians don't eat fish (I don't), those that do aren't vegetarians (by the dictionary definition and morally as far as I'm concerned). Vegans also abstain from all dairy products.

Vegetarians don't eat fish (I don't), those that do aren't vegetarians (by the dictionary definition and morally as far as I'm concerned). Vegans also abstain from all dairy products.

Do you do that, or are you just a veggie? I think Vegans have the right idea personally, if a cow is badly treated, and you drink it's milk, that's in a sense un- ethical milk, therefore probably shouldn't be drunk by a veggie. Or is that the wrong way to think about it?

Do you do that, or are you just a veggie? I think Vegans have the right idea personally, if a cow is badly treated, and you drink it's milk, that's in a sense un- ethical milk, therefore probably shouldn't be drunk by a veggie. Or is that the wrong way to think about it?

No, I'm just a veggie rather than a vegan. I agree with you though but I don't think I could hack it as a vegan. I tend to buy organic dairy products in the hope this means the animals have been treated and fed better though, although I'm sceptical as to whether this is always the case.

bluelaugh.gif I'm not that hot on pulses or too many  vegetables either. Truth be told, i'm probably going to drop down dead at around 40 whilst your going to be there long after me (without other factors of course  :winking:). The fact i'm a fussy eater doesn't help either mind. So i'd be murder if i was a veggie, i think i'd be more or less a bone. I tried the macrobiotic stuff for a while, but it just tastes like shit and is far too expensive to keep up.

On the other hand for you though, i suppose it's quite hard to keep up with being a veggie? I mean not many places cater for veggies. Not in my experience with veggie friends anyway. Your bound to be not getting all of the minerals and stuff you need if that's the case.

Iron deficiency, Vitamin B12 deficiency and calcium deficiency , Vitamin D deficiency, Amino-acid balance and protein content, lower blood levels of some minerals such as copper, zinc and selenium.

I happen to think veggies are hypocritical, do fish not live, breathe yadda yadda? (Those that aren't vegans of course). Weak arguement i know  tongue3.gif. People are always going to eat meat, so a certain amount of people not eating meat aren't ever going to stop it, it's obviously personal choices though. I'm dead against cruelty to animals and poor rearing, mainly because i want to know what's going in my body, but i just love meat. I made one step to vegetarianism in a roundabout way. I won't buy or eat a chicken with Hockburn!

And again, a tenner says I'm a fussier eater than you :D If you like pretty normal food, as I say, pizzas, pasta, sandwiches and whatever else, you're sorted. There really is no need to eat all the other stuff.

It can be difficult eating out occasionally, but most people would get along easily enough. Most of the trouble I have relates to me being me, not being a vegetarian. Probably most annoying is the little things, chips being picked up with the bacon... grasper(?(can't think of the word :D)). Whilst I don't pay a massive amount of attention to vitamins, whenever I've checked I've been getting plenty of all. I'm a cheese-fiend which makes protein a doddle. I do take one vitamin tablet, but it's something that everyone should take, it's not related tomy diet. If you saw a picture of me, you'd know that the small skinny stereotype is rubbish :D

Feel free to laugh in the face of anyone who calls themself a vegetarian and eats fish, as alex says, they aren't.

I gave up on the idea of everyone stopping eating meat a long time ago. If there was one thing I could stop, it would be eating pigs. They're more intelligent than half the posters on this forum and it's really not on. They really do know they're gonna die, and they get terrified.

No, I'm just a veggie rather than a vegan. I agree with you though but I don't think I could hack it as a vegan. I tend to buy organic dairy products in the hope this means the animals have been treated and fed better though, although I'm sceptical as to whether this is always the case.

You're right, Testa, about the treatment of the animals we get milk, eggs etc. from. Thing is, I really couldn't live without dairy products :lol: I do my utmost to get the best, most ethical stuff, though. In fact, the eggs I eat I get from some well-off friends of the family. They keep loads of birds in a huge back garden, as free-range and well-cared for as you can get. The eggs are absolutely superb - Happy Hens = Good Eggs :D

The good point I've heard made about why Veganism (and/or trying to get ethical milk/eggs) is so difficult is that whilst you can avoid the direct source (like I am with eggs), you can't account for produce used in the process of making other iteams - eggs used to glaze bread sold in super-markets, for example. This is where factory-farming is making an increasing share of it's profits.

im a veggie, and have been since i was 6 years old. The idea of a pile of steaming dead animal flesh on my plate disgusts me, and so does the smell of burning flesh. i chose to be a vegetarian for many differetn reasons, mainly the way it made me feel, thinking about the animal it had once been, and the moral side of the eating a dead animal.

a vegetarian doesnt eat fish, someone who eats fish but not meat is called a pescatarian (something french, anyway)

I dont feel that as one person i am saving the life of a cow by not eating its buttock, because there will always be another fat bastard out there ready to eat the steak i left behind in the supermarket.

its not a hippie thing, its morals and my consience telling me:

"this has probably been killed in an abbotoir (forgive the spelling errors) surrounded by hundreds of other animals, shitting themselves for the last hours of their lives, just so I could have a cheaper chop of meat"

does make me feel a bit ill, especially after seeing those undercover documentaries about battery hens etc.

i dont judge others who do eat meat though, and I would have less aversion to meat if the person eating it had caught it and killed it for themselves.

on a new line of thought; how many people would be happy eating meat from a cow they had just seen alive minutes before? like in the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

I eat meat, and I love it. Bacon, Sausages, Pork Roast, Chicken, mmmmmmmm. I couldn't stand not eating meat.

The thing is, the human digestive system is designed to eat meat. We're omnivores, so we eat both meat and vegetables.

Vegetables are living things too you know, you veggies are plant murderers!!!!! Just because they don't have any reactions that we know about doesn't make it OK you know. They're living things just as animals are, and ultimately we have to eat living things to survive, and as we do so, I might as well not discriminate, and eat animals as well as plants eh?  You think you were on the African Savannah and a Lion had a chance of killing you and eating you it would think, oh no I can't, the thought of eating another animal is awful? No, no, no, you would be Dish of the Day at Le Bistro de Leon.

In all seriousness though, ultimately, each to their own. I like meat. I enjoy it and don't want to be lectured about it (and most veggies I know don't).

If people want to be vegetarian or vegan, then that's their right as well.

I was going to say something, but I can't really think of much to add to what you lot have said already.

erm

erm

erm

A fish is not a vegetable, people who say they are vegetarian and eat fish are morons,....erm

erm

erm

Why do meateaters always want veggies to justify themselves? And why do they always think you're going to try and convert them, I couldn't give a shit what anyone else eats, why do they think I would? They say things like, "Oh I suppose what I'm eating disgusts you?", to which I reply, "Not unless you're going to try and shove it down my throat." Half the time when you tell them you don't  care what they're eating it's like they get offended that you don't care and start talking as if you tried to tell them what to do regardless!?! 8)

Tell you what does piss me off though, food labeling. Particularly on things that are supposedly "obviously" free of animal products, like sugar. You pick up some sugar, spend way too long trying to read some microscopic print on the back, to see if it's veggie, only for some shop assistant to come up to you and ask if you need any help. So you say, "alright then, can you tell me if this is vegetarian, please?", they look at you like you're a moron and say "It's sugar", to which I want to reply "I fucking know that!! You twat!! Has it got any glycerine in it!?! Do you know what glycerine is? No? Well fuck off then you useless sack of shite and don't come and ask me if you can help, when you're quite obviously not mentally capable of helping anyone!!"

Anyway, bored of this now, thought of something in the end, but it was bollocks.

Actually, a lot of the problems Humans have relate to us not really being geared to eat meat. That said, even if we were intended to eat it, we're also set up to kill and I'm always seeing people whinging on about "murderers".

Meanwhile, fruit feels like it's fulfilled it's purpose in life when it's eaten.

Why do meateaters always want veggies to justify themselves? And why do they always think you're going to try and convert them, I couldn't give a shit what anyone else eats, why do they think I would? They say things like, "Oh I suppose what I'm eating disgusts you?", to which I reply, "Not unless you're going to try and shove it down my throat." Half the time when you tell them you don't  care what they're eating it's like they get offended that you don't care and start talking as if you tried to tell them what to do regardless!?! 8)

I reckon it's guilt or "status anxiety" or something. They seem to take massive offense at the idea that you don't do something that they do on principle, therefore that you consider yourself above it, thus you consider them beneath you.

Humans are omnivores.

yup, eat as much as possible and then rest.

om·niv·o·rous Pronunciation (m-nvr-s)

adj.

1. Eating both animal and vegetable foods.

2. Taking in everything available, as with the mind: an omnivorous reader.

[From Latin omnivorus : omni-, omni- + -vorus, -vorous.]

om·nivo·rous·ly adv.

om·nivo·rous·ness n.