The recommend an album thread

Nicos Papavasiliou

I thought now that the initial music lull at the start of the year is over, we could have a thread to recommend albums that come out this/next week/month?  I love the "What you listening to" thread, but it seems to revolve around 70's - 90's rock.  There's LOADS of good stuff coming out, so what are you personally liking/anticipating? 

for me.....

The new DJ Format album Fabriclive27 is out on the 17th.  If anyone knows where it's 'available' sooner, I'd love to know.  Cheers.  And if you haven't heard of him, if you like the Beastie Boys or Jurassic 5 type stuff give it (and his other albums) a whirl.

Ghostface Killah(of Wu Tang Clan)'s new album Fishscale as available on import.  I didn't like what I'd heard of him before, but rather enjoyed this one.

Super Colossal is the new Joe Satriani album.  He's been canny shit recently but guitar buffs (who'll all know him anyway) should all get it.  He's the tip-top technical twiddler.

Tool - 10,000 Days is coming out later this month, promises to be amongst their best shit.  Certainly one to look out for.

I've NEVER listened to tool.  Are they as bad as Linkin Park and Evanescence?  I always lump them in with the shittest of Nu Metal, but i did that with System of a Down too and they're so much better than I ever imagined.

What album should I get to give them a chance?

Tool - 10,000 Days is coming out later this month, promises to be amongst their best shit.  Certainly one to look out for.

Might give it a try. Ive never listened to them but they are coming to this festival im going in the summer.

I've NEVER listened to tool.  Are they as bad as Linkin Park and Evanescence?  I always lump them in with the shittest of Nu Metal, but i did that with System of a Down too and they're so much better than I ever imagined.

Aenima is my personal favourite.  To be fair, I had to get used to them myself, and it was my friend's influence that pushed it on me.  However, if they heard you likening them to Linkin Park and Evanescence, they'd be truly horrified.  :lol:

I can see where that assumption comes from, but they're a lot darker, very poetic, and very deep.  I'm probably not the best person to ask about Tool in the world.  They came about around 93ish, and Aenima came out in 96, so I'd say they were way before the Nu-metal lark.  I can't stand the likes of Linkin Park myself, either, although I did have a soft spot for Amy Lee (Evanescence).  That said, I downloaded their stuff, only to like a few songs.

You'll enjoy them Kassu, I've never seen them either, but will be this year at Download. 

Is that Ghostface album better than Ironman? which i think is by far his best solo effort

I think so.  But then, I've only heard the MF Doom remix (Operation Ironman).  Either way though, Fishscale is class.  I didn't really like The Pretty Toney album so it's the best I've heard of his.

Just heard "Sigur Ros- Takk". It was good enough that I have started acquiring their other stuff.

In particular, I like Hoppipolla and Untitled IV {from the album ()}.

Saw them live last week. *swoon!*

I've NEVER listened to tool. Are they as bad as Linkin Park and Evanescence? I always lump them in with the shittest of Nu Metal, but i did that with System of a Down too and they're so much better than I ever imagined.

If you found System of a Down to be a cut above, then Tool may well suit your direction - very thoughtful, complicated time signatures and patterns - the kind of band that takes two months to write a 30 second riff! Inaccessible and progressive - awesome.

If you like a bit more 'hook' to your music (but not too much!), Maynard James Keenan's (Tool vocalist) other band A Perfect Circle, are the finest band on the planet, IMO.

Guest Hand in Glove

The new Mogwai album, "Mr. Beast".

And I'm going to see them at Northumbria Uni tomorrow night.  :banana:

The new Mogwai album, "Mr. Beast".

And I'm going to see them at Northumbria Uni tomorrow night.  :banana:

Good shout. Also:

The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics (if only for the Yeah Yeah Yeah song, class)

Calexico/Iron & Wine - In The Reins

and Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

Top stuff.

Guest Hand in Glove

I agree on all counts Elric.

Also check out The Research album. A bit of disposable indiepop, but when did that do anyone any harm?

This year has been fairly crap music wise.

I bought Sway-This Is My Demo which is an independant release I believe. A good album although I had already heard half of the album last year.

Last week I got T.I.'s and Ghostfaces' new albums which are both pretty good.

I might check for some of the stuff suggested on here.

Guest ticaL

AphexTwin - I Care Because You Do

Claude Debussy - Piano Works (Performed by Walter Giesking)

Eric Satie - Piano Works

Alarm Will Sound - Performs AphexTwin

About it really, any other AphexTwin album (with the exceptions being 26 Mixes for Cash and Richard D. James Album.)

Frederick Chopin also, any of his stuff.

And who can forgot Nobuo Uematsu.

AphexTwin - I Care Because You Do

Claude Debussy - Piano Works (Performed by Walter Giesking)

Eric Satie - Piano Works

Alarm Will Sound - Performs AphexTwin

About it really, any other AphexTwin album (with the exceptions being 26 Mixes for Cash and Richard D. James Album.)

Frederick Chopin also, any of his stuff.

And who can forgot Nobuo Uematsu.

You sir, are a man of taste.

Aenima is my personal favourite.  To be fair, I had to get used to them myself, and it was my friend's influence that pushed it on me.  However, if they heard you likening them to Linkin Park and Evanescence, they'd be truly horrified.  :lol:

I can see where that assumption comes from, but they're a lot darker, very poetic, and very deep.  I'm probably not the best person to ask about Tool in the world.  They came about around 93ish, and Aenima came out in 96, so I'd say they were way before the Nu-metal lark.  I can't stand the likes of Linkin Park myself, either, although I did have a soft spot for Amy Lee (Evanescence).  That said, I downloaded their stuff, only to like a few songs.

You'll enjoy them Kassu, I've never seen them either, but will be this year at Download. 

Re: the bold section.... quoted for truth.

Linkin Park, Evanesence, Nickelback and many other new-age rock bands are nothing more than piss-poor whingefests, whereas Maynard's lyrics are often cryptic and generally non-specific. On the part of the listener there's plenty of room for interpretation. With their elaborate riffs and musical arrangments Tool are the modern day Pink.F imo, and alot of their arrangments - without the vocals, especially some of the arrangements from Lateralus - would be well suited to the big screen ie. film music scores.

Nikos - also worth checking out, and this is a very accessible track, is "Opiate" off their debut album of the same name.

Nikos - also worth checking out, and this is a very accessible track, is "Opiate" off their debut album of the same name.

also "Prison Sex" - one of the best song opening riff/sequences ever.

"Sober"

" 4' "

"Intolerance"

"Undertow"

*all from the "Undertow" album.

If you can, download some of their old music vids. A couple of them - namely "Sober" - i'm pretty sure were made by Seven & Fight Club's David Finch during the early stages of his directorial career.