Pheeweee - VAT was a close call

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

NUFC VAT Appeal Successful

Newcastle United's appeal against the decision of the Manchester VAT Tribunal, given on 21st August 2006, was heard before Mr Justice Mann in London during February 2007.

The Judgment was handed down this morning and the appeal was successful.

This means that the Decision of the Tribunal no longer stands.

Guest smoggeordie

That thread title is megacringetastic.

I thought it was quite good :lol:

Not a clue what it's about though.

Basically, Inland Revenue wanted the Premiership clubs to pay more VAT, so the Premiership asked us (who had the best kept books) to stand against Inland Revenue in court as a test case.

Basically, Inland Revenue wanted the Premiership clubs to pay more VAT, so the Premiership asked us (who had the best kept books) to stand against Inland Revenue in court as a test case.

Are you absolutely sure about that?

Yes, or at least one of the best. I remember being suprised, but that was definitely the reason for us going through the court as the test case.

Yes, or at least one of the best. I remember being suprised, but that was definitely the reason for us going through the court as the test case.

Now I might be wrong about this, but didn't the auditors refuse to sign off on the accounts a number of times?

Now I might be wrong about this, but didn't the auditors refuse to sign off on the accounts a number of times?

Definitely not recently.

In fact the Premier League described our books as 'transparent' iirc. I know this kind of contradicts what everyone believes about shepherd cooking the books, but people do come up with theories that aren't true about him, but become considered truth.

I don't like him much as a football chairman either, but he deserves credit rather than falsehoods in this instance.

Definitely not recently.

In fact the Premier League described our books as 'transparent' iirc. I know this kind of contradicts what everyone believes about shepherd cooking the books, but people do come up with theories that aren't true about him, but become considered truth.

I don't like him much as a football chairman either, but he deserves credit rather than falsehoods in this instance.

Can you provide me with a link to back up what your saying, please?

I can't back up what I've said at the moment, by the way.

Seems that they did in fact sign off on the 2005 accounts:

Opinion

In our opinion:

the accounts give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the Company and the Group as at 31 July 2005 and of the loss of the

Group for the year then ended; and

the accounts and the part of the Directors’ Remuneration Report to be audited have been properly prepared in accordance with the

Companies Act 1985.

Definitely not recently.

Can you provide me with a link to back up what your saying, please?

I can't back up what I've said at the moment, by the way.

I am trying to find a link, right now

Wouldn't be a very good test case if the clubs admitted that the majority of them had books that were a lot worse than ours, the tax man would just go after the clubs with dodgy accounts, wouldn't they?

Wouldn't be a very good test case if the clubs admitted that the majority of them had books that were a lot worse than ours, the tax man would just go after the clubs with dodgy accounts, wouldn't they?

Arsenal were next on their list. Tax men always go for the people that are going to provide them with the most money.

Arsenal were next on their list. Tax men always go for the people that are going to provide them with the most money.

Hang about, you just said that NUFC were chosen by the Premier League to be the test case, not that they were targeted by the taxman, which is it?  :knuppel2:

Guest Brazilianbob

This is all about us claiming back VAT off money paid by the club to agents involved in transfers.  The Inland Revenue (IR) say we can't claim the VAT back because the agent is acting for the player not the club or something along those lines.

We took our case to a tribunal, but the tribunal agreed with the IR.  We then appealed against that tribunal decision and a High Court Judge has ruled that the tribunal decision was erroneous in law, and the Judge has remitted the case back to a fresh Tribunal hearing where the process will begin all over again.

However, if the fresh tribunal finds against us again, that won't necessarily be an end to it, because we will have the option of appealing the decision  to the High Court Judge again. 

If he then agrees with the tribunal and finds against us, we will have the further option of appealing to the Court of Appeal (CoA).  If the CoA finds against us, we can take our case to the House of Lords (HoL).

After that the only remaining avenue of appeal is to go to the European Courts of Justice (ECJ) based in Strasbourg.

Conversely, if either the tribunal, CoA, or HoL finds in our favour, the IR has the same rights of appeal and can appeal against those decisions all the way to the ECJ, and given the financial implications for the IR, with most football clubs claiming back substantial amounts of VAT, I would imagine the IR will fight this case all the way to Strasbourg.  In other words "it ain't over until the fat lady sings".