Shay Given

gazzaA2

Best keeper from Britain and Ireland, but all are currently lacking due to bad, outdated coaching. Foreign keepers arethe way forward in my opinion.

Sweeper keepers, its the only way to go.

Best keeper from Britain and Ireland, but all are currently lacking due to bad, outdated coaching. Foreign keepers arethe way forward in my opinion.

That's not Shay Given though is it?

Guest Sniffer

Shows how little there is to get excited about, or even interested in, when this old topic is churned out again.

That's not Shay Given though is it?

It was a joke about how the Liverpool fans were banging on about Reina being a "sweeper keeper" shortly before his excellent display of this attribute at SJP :lol:

Guest BlueWhiteMonkey

He isn't good enough. Constantly rooted to his line. One of the reasons why the defence is so shite .

He isn't good enough. Constantly rooted to his line. One of the reasons why the defence is so shite .

:lol:

I love how certain players arent good enough for us as if we are Barcelona* or someone. Honestly Shay has his faults but anyone who thinks he isn't good enough for us needs some help.

*Well aware they don't have the most consistant keeper in the world.  :D

Guest Mantis

One of the few good things about the Team.  Deserves a dutbin lid size medal for staying all these years and risking his life behind our defence.  Only time will tell whether all the wear and tear he's picked up gives him some for of repetitive strain injury.

shay is a good keeper, the best we have had in years, but he is nothing outstanding imo, and this is why he hasnt been cherry picked by the worlds elite.

he is a very very good shot stopper, but imo this is a given (pardon the pun) for any top flight goalkeeper, or certainly should be (paul robinson the obvious exception).

however, his distribution drives me mental, it puts us under pressure all of the time, and with our back four that doesnt help.

someone else should take his goal kicks tbh.

Don't think he's in the same league as your Cech's and Buffon's but a very good keeper nonetheless

I agree with that, I think Given is a better shot stopper than the pair of them however he does have weaknesses, Cech and Buffon on the other hand are excellent at everything.

shay is a good keeper, the best we have had in years, but he is nothing outstanding imo, and this is why he hasnt been cherry picked by the worlds elite.

he is a very very good shot stopper, but imo this is a given (pardon the pun) for any top flight goalkeeper, or certainly should be (paul robinson the obvious exception).

however, his distribution drives me mental, it puts us under pressure all of the time, and with our back four that doesnt help.

someone else should take his goal kicks tbh.

Shay is a lot better shot stopper than most in the league tbf.

Guest Ridzuan

Shay is probably one of the best in the league,if not the world.But of course,there are still room for improvements.

Guest Stephen927

My only problems with him are he isn't very commanding of his area and his distribution. Other than that I'm delighted with what he has done for this club over the years. Would be interesting to see how many points we would have dropped without him in the team.

Most under-rated keeper ever tbh. My only beef with him is that his kicking is his most inconsistent part of his game. I get annoyed when people harp on about Cech, it's alot easier being a great keep behind chelseas back four. He is fantastic but lets not go overboard.

Given is the better shot stopper IMHO.