True Faith poll on Rodent.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest Invicta_Toon

Roeder isn't good enough

Fat Fred can't attract a better manager

put the two together and you get an irrelevant poll from the muppets at True Faith

Guest Mantis

I seem to recall there was no shortage of Toon fans saying he deserved the job last year, despite little evidence he was capable. 

I seem to recall there was no shortage of Toon fans saying he deserved the job last year, despite little evidence he was capable. 

Exactly! and where are they now, bandwagon jumpers.

Guest Invicta_Toon

ignoring comments from Fat Fred and the club site, that's total bollocks

Christ. I'm afraid I'll to agree with Vic. I can't remember a single person on here or in real life who actually wanted Roeder. At least no one sane. All that 'the fans picked him' stuff was bollocks.

I can't remember any of my mates wanting him and plenty on here didn't want him to become manager.

Roeder is a good bloke, an average manager, had done a good job but will never be major success at this club.

We are more likely to see the benifits of his reign after he has gone.

The True Faith Poll shows that 82 % of fans who voted think that Roeder is not capable of managing Newcastle succesfully.

I am amazed that there are still 18% who still have faith in him.

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/html/main.htm

I'm amazed that there are adults, regardless of their thoughts on GR,  who refer to him as "Rodent" - we need a wanker smilie on this board admin like the  ONE ON TOONTASTIC

Exactly! and where are they now, bandwagon jumpers.

I'm still here, and I'm still of the opinion that he can do a good job for us. But then again, I've never been one who thinks that because we're newcastle united, we should be in the top 4 every year... I'd be very happy with Top 10 finish this year, Top 7 next year, Top 6 the year after.... and I think Roeder, providing he's given the backing, can do that job. It's got nothing to do with me being "happy with mediocrity" as plenty of people call it... i just think we need the stability that all of the top clubs have.

Fair enough, he's been a bit tactically naive at times, and there have been a few odd team selections, but I think he talks a lot of sense, and would much prefer us to persevere with a capable if not spectacular manager (which he is) than rush out for another "proven" manager and start this whole process again.

I think he's spending the little money he does have wisely (Duff has been dissappointing but will surely get better), and should be given the chance to take us to the next level. I don't think spending the majority of the season with between 10 and 15 first team regulars missing is "a fair crack at the whip".

I think there are an awful lot of people on this and other message boards who can't tell the difference between "poor decisions" and "decisions that I don't agree with, but aren't neccesarily wrong". For instance, when the team was announced for the AZ home game, the majority of posters were saying Roeder was clueless because he brought Carr back into the team... we then went on to play our best football of the last year, and people spent the rest of the night trying to get their heads out of their arses.

As people say, Football's about opinions. You have one, I have one, Roeder has one, and none of us are wrong.

I'd largely agree with that.

We hired Keegan with no previous experience as a manager.  Glenn showed he had the ability to be a manager at the end of last season (honeymoon periods don't last that long and no player expected him to be full manager).  Imagine if we hadn't employed Roeder for this season and we ended up with a poor manager (was anyone available?).  How would people feel looking back at how Roeder rescued the club from Souness.  He deserved that chance to continue imo.

And before anyone says Glenn was a failure in management beforehand... he didn't do that bad.

We hired Keegan with no previous experience as a manager.  Glenn showed he had the ability to be a manager at the end of last season (honeymoon periods don't last that long and no player expected him to be full manager).  Imagine if we hadn't employed Roeder for this season and we ended up with a poor manager (was anyone available?).  How would people feel looking back at how Roeder rescued the club from Souness.  He deserved that chance to continue imo.

And before anyone says Glenn was a failure in management beforehand... he didn't do that bad.

Glenn Roeder didn't do that bad?

1992-93 Gillingham, 2nd bottom of the football league.

1993-94 Watford, finished 6th bottom of the second division or whatever it was called.

1994-95 Watford, finished 7th in the old second.

1995-96 Watford, finished 2nd bottom of the old 2nd and relegated, he was sacked.

2001-02 West Ham, took over from Redknap and finished 7th.

2002-03 West Ham, finished 3rd bottom and relegated, quite funny that he thought that Don Hutchison was worth £5 million.

2003-04 West Ham, sacked.

Good job we didn't appoint somebody with a poor record.

I'm still here, and I'm still of the opinion that he can do a good job for us. But then again, I've never been one who thinks that because we're newcastle united, we should be in the top 4 every year... I'd be very happy with Top 10 finish this year, Top 7 next year, Top 6 the year after.... and I think Roeder, providing he's given the backing, can do that job. It's got nothing to do with me being "happy with mediocrity" as plenty of people call it... i just think we need the stability that all of the top clubs have.

Fair enough, he's been a bit tactically naive at times, and there have been a few odd team selections, but I think he talks a lot of sense, and would much prefer us to persevere with a capable if not spectacular manager (which he is) than rush out for another "proven" manager and start this whole process again.

I think he's spending the little money he does have wisely (Duff has been dissappointing but will surely get better), and should be given the chance to take us to the next level. I don't think spending the majority of the season with between 10 and 15 first team regulars missing is "a fair crack at the whip".

I think there are an awful lot of people on this and other message boards who can't tell the difference between "poor decisions" and "decisions that I don't agree with, but aren't neccesarily wrong". For instance, when the team was announced for the AZ home game, the majority of posters were saying Roeder was clueless because he brought Carr back into the team... we then went on to play our best football of the last year, and people spent the rest of the night trying to get their heads out of their arses.

As people say, Football's about opinions. You have one, I have one, Roeder has one, and none of us are wrong.

What's that proverb about words and action, and one being louder than the other?

Yes, he talks sense, but his interviews are too rarely matched by his deeds. When Roeder opens his mouth expect well-meaning soundbites, when Roeder acts, expect very little.

One positive from the AZ match was that he was moved enough to drop Bramble - it was about the first time he has acted with any ruthlessness, which is the mark of all successful managers

1993-94 Watford, finished 6th bottom of the second division or whatever it was called.

1995-96 Watford, finished 2nd bottom of the old 2nd and relegated, he was sacked.

2002-03 West Ham, finished 3rd bottom and relegated, quite funny that he thought that Don Hutchison was worth £5 million.

That has to be the worst record of any manager in PL history.

,Mick what yee naa aboot footbaal isn't worth taakin aboot, yee withoot google = Scott Parker withoot unnecessary twirls.

The record of our manager didn't need looking up in Google, it's been done many times on here, I did check the dates but that's all.

Guest Knightrider

From the main site:

Is Roeder the right man to turn Newcastle around?

* No (52%)

No -> 52% (598 Votes)

* Yes (48%)

You Have Voted For This Choice - Yes -> 48% (558 Votes)

Total Votes: 1,156

Mind the poll was started before the AZ debacle...

Edit: And so was my vote ;)

a) Gillingham fans didn't want him sacked.  That must tell you something?  Maybe that they expected to get relegated and he did well to save them?  Or they thought he was taking the club itself in the best direction he could?

b) In 2 seasons he took a rubbish Watford to just outside the playoffs (in the equivalent to the championship) from a recent history of not getting near them.

c) he didn't relegate Watford.  He was sacked in the February when they were near the bottom.  Graham Taylor had 3 months or so to help and he couldn't stop them being relegated.  But yeah, it was all Roeders fault.

d) he took West Ham from 15th to 7th (in the Premiership!).  He made some good signings (David James for 2 mil, Englands goalkeeper) at times, got hit by bad injuries and had a brain tumor, he didn't do that great though to be fair.

Although in his defence, they're now pretty much relegated from the Premier league by 2 different managers, with players like Tevez in the team, etc.

e) he took NUFC from 15th place with a devestated team and morale, plus injuries to a respectable 7th and into Europe. 

I'm not saying he's a great manager but a failure?  Not really.  What you seem to forget is that facts like you've posted are meaningless unless you have an accurate view on the ability of those clubs, their recent history and what the fans expected.

Guest Invicta_Toon

a) Gillingham fans didn't want him sacked.  That must tell you something?  Maybe that they expected to get relegated and he did well to save them?  Or they thought he was taking the club itself in the best direction he could?

b) In 2 seasons he took a rubbish Watford to just outside the playoffs (in the equivalent to the championship) from a recent history of not getting near them.

c) he didn't relegate Watford.  He was sacked in the February when they were near the bottom.  Graham Taylor had 3 months or so to help and he couldn't stop them being relegated.  But yeah, it was all Roeders fault.

d) he took West Ham from 15th to 7th (in the Premiership!).  He made some good signings (David James for 2 mil, Englands goalkeeper) at times, got hit by bad injuries and had a brain tumor, he didn't do that great though to be fair.

Although in his defence, they're now pretty much relegated from the Premier league by 2 different managers, with players like Tevez in the team, etc.

e) he took NUFC from 15th place with a devestated team and morale, plus injuries to a respectable 7th and into Europe. 

I'm not saying he's a great manager but a failure?  Not really.  What you seem to forget is that facts like you've posted are meaningless unless you have an accurate view on the ability of those clubs, their recent history and what the fans expected.

he's current manager of the 5th best club in the last decade. He must be fucking awesome tbh

I have to agree Koven.......What pedigree Roder has.. :idiot2: mackems.gif

How much is he paying you btw? ^-^

he's current manager of the 5th best club in the last decade. He must be f****** awesome tbh

Err yeah, cheers for that.

I have to agree Koven.......What pedigree Roder has.. 

How much is he paying you btw?

Where did I mention he had pedigree?  Or that he was anything other than not a failure?

Chance for another soundbite though right?  Lowest form of wit and all that... ;)

Can't say how much i'm getting paid, soz.

He also signed Thomas Repka and Don Hutchinson for £10 million.

Repka was a good enough buy.  He spent 5 years at the club through 2 managers.  All for 1 mil a season?  Not bad.

I don't know enough about Hutchinson but Glenn could never play him since he got injured with a similar injury to Owen didn't he?

Repka was a good enough buy.  He spent 5 years at the club through 2 managers.  All for 1 mil a season?  Not bad.

I don't know enough about Hutchinson but Glenn could never play him since he got injured with a similar injury to Owen didn't he?

That's like saying Bramble was a good enough buy because he spent 5 years here through 3 managers, all for £1 million a season.

Hutchinson was never worth anywhere near £5 million in the first place.

If you think Roeder can do a job here then that's your opinion, however by trying to put a positive spin on things that are clearly fuck ups does your credibility no good whatsoever.

Guest Knightrider

At the time Hutchinson was considered one of the best box to box midfielders outside of the top top midfielders like Scholes and err, Bowyer, after a few good seasons with the mackems, Roeder signed a good player at the time. Remember Seth Johnson went for 7.5m and Jenas 5m, so fees were kind of inflated too.