Toon join Rat race

lovejoy

insert glenn roeder rat joke here -

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=toon-join-rat-race%26method=full%26objectid=18807152%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Toon join Rat raceMar 25 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Newcastle are eyeing boys from Brazil - and hunting a Rat - as they draw up their summer spending plans.

United boss Glenn Roeder has revealed the Magpies scouted players from SIX countries on international duty yesterday.

And Brazil were among them.

While Roeder watched Portugal play Belgium, Newcastle were also watching would-be buys in action for Holland, Romania, Chile and Brazil.

And Romanian left-back Razvan Rat has emerged as a potential United target.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Roeder went to Lisbon after telling the Sunday Sun that he has an interest in players on both sides.

But he also revealed: "We're also out to see Holland and Romania. There are targets in those two teams.

"And (chief scout) David Mills is off to see Brazil and Chile. There are one or two targets in those two teams."

Roeder took in the Portugal game having already had midfielder Joao Moutinho, wingers Nani and Simao and defender Marco Caneira watched in Sporting Lisbon's defeat of Porto last Saturday.

Newcastle scouts have been busy in Portugal for weeks, watching Benfica's right-back Nelson and their Brazilian centre-back Luisao several times.

United's interest in the Holland side was focused on left-back Urby Emanuelson and strikers Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Ryan Babel - all confirmed Roeder targets.

But 25-year-old Rat, currently with Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk, would be a cheaper left-back option.

Nani and Simao, exactly what we need, HUGELY expensive wingers.

Just because he was at the Sporting/Porto game doesn't mean he was looking at wingers. Roeder said nothing in terms of watching wingers and I would presume Farrington has just clutched those names out of thin air.

Just because he was at the Sporting/Porto game doesn't mean he was looking at wingers. Roeder said nothing in terms of watching wingers and I would presume Farrington has just clutched those names out of thin air.

I was talking about the article not Roeder, the same way I would if someone on here said we should spend £15m on SWP or something.

Guest NIToon

Maybe he was watching the ball boys as he had heard they were good!!!!

I agree just pulling the names out of a team sheet

Guest elpapi

As a Belgian I'm quite curious to know who he was watching at Portugal - Belgium (4-0). We got battered in the second half, thanks to a sloppy goal caused by Daniel Van Buyten, and that's supposed to be our best player...  :undecided:

on the portugal side, I've no idea who he was tracking actually, they all seem out of our reach. Defence was Carvalho, Andrade, Ferreira and Miguel. As much as I like to have Miguel at right-back, that's just wishful thinking. Perhaps Andrade, although he will have better suitors I guess... Moutinho is a very good young holding midfielder but not what we need. Then they've got Ronaldo, Quaresma (what a goal!), Nani (impressive sub, not in our league) and Simao, they have no strikers of decent quality (nuno gomes was very poor)

on the belgian side, there's not much to say. 3 players stood out: goalkeeper Stijnen although a bit at fault for the second goal, Mudingayi (holding midfielder a la Makalele, best game I've seen from him, Lazio) and Fellaini (18year old huge strong midfielder fromp Standard, good potential)... that's it

Guest elpapi

btw seeing young "good" players like Ronaldo, Quaresma, Nani, Moutinho only highlights the fact we paid £8.5m for fucking Viana... :uglystupid2:

I thought it was Under-21 games that he was watching... oops!

Was picking out the names he could have been looking for, having already seen which countries he was taking in. Was thinking, Brazil - Luisao, Netherlands - De Cler/Emmanuelson, Babel, Portugal - Miguel (prays), etc. No real surprises i don't think.

Certainly nice to see him out there scouting the less well known players, though. As has been said - like Sir Bobby. Good going, Glenn. I have faith in him this summer window.

I thought it was Under-21 games that he was watching... oops!

Was picking out the names he could have been looking for, having already seen which countries he was taking in. Was thinking, Brazil - Luisao, Netherlands - De Cler/Emmanuelson, Babel, Portugal - Miguel (prays), etc. No real surprises i don't think.

Certainly nice to see him out there scouting the less well known players, though. As has been said - like Sir Bobby. Good going, Glenn. I have faith in him this summer window.

Portugal is Marco Caneira, no? Says so in the article and he's the only realistic one anyway. The likes of Miguel, Andrade and Carvalho would only play for a Champions League club.

Caneira is pretty average btw, flopped at Valencia and was sent back to Sporting. Can play centre back and full back

This Rat guy has only played 65 games in 4 years at Shakhtar.

Unless he only emerged as a Shakhtar player last season (unlikely as he's 25), I wouldn't be interested.

Seen him play then? Fucking hell

Versatile attacking midfielder/forward Nani will be the next Cristiano Ronaldo! I was very impressed with him in his full int.nat debut against Finland in Euro qualification match. Huge talent and I think he won't have any problems adapting to English game but won't come cheap. We have had bad experiences with Viana before but he is different type of a player. Really hard to see Nani signing for us as there are plenty of better clubs after him as well...

This Rat guy has only played 65 games in 4 years at Shakhtar.

Unless he only emerged as a Shakhtar player last season (unlikely as he's 25), I wouldn't be interested.

Seen him play then? Fucking hell

I wouldn't be interested anyway tbh!

Get someone in that is proven quality. Sick of us signing shitty crap wing-backs for nothing money; that turn out to be exactly that. Shitty and crap and worth nothing.

Get wing-back sorted properly for once.