Shearer for manager?

wor jackie

i think we can all agree that the title is inevitable at some point in the future, but perhaps the sooner the better it would benefit us? last season, if i am correct, it was shearer who was appointed as no.2 to roeder and the run of results was nothing short of champions league form following this. of course, sir al has since left and this season hasn't exactly been great, prompting me to wonder whether he had a bigger influence tactically than previously thought? this season, i have seen no evidence of game plans, tactics or just about anything on the pitch for that matter. contrast to the end of last season where we were attacking and scoring plenty goals. so, whether this has been plain coincidence or not, i hadn't contemplated the possibility that shearer was such a major factor behind the scenes. as a manager, he would get respect from all players, has an excellent understanding of the game and the club and is never outspoken! furthermore, if roeder were to get the boot, would you be hesitant to hoy shearer in or would you prefer a more experienced bloke?

last season, if i am correct, it was shearer who was appointed as no.2 to roeder and the run of results was nothing short of champions league form following this.

Nah, man. It's because Parker wasn't playing.

just the way i look at it, the scum have appointed keane and in all honesty i was relishing their demise. however, they have rocketed up the fizzy pop league which by all accounts is a hard league to get out of. now, if keane has the mental toughness to do it, surely shearer is just as capable?

just the way i look at it, the scum have appointed keane and in all honesty i was relishing their demise. however, they have rocketed up the fizzy pop league which by all accounts is a hard league to get out of. now, if keane has the mental toughness to do it, surely shearer is just as capable?

We're not in the fizzy pop league.

but with his resources in that league, he has done very well considering. put shearer in our position with more money and better players. could he do a job? that's what am getting at.

Better players but against better players. Souness and McCarthy both did well in the Championship and got promoted, sunderland walked away with it under McCarthy. We can't afford to hire a manager based on fuck all.

Of course we all want a better manager than current, and we all want someone with proven quality, but fact of the matter is, GR is about right for a club dying on its arse, and with no sunny immediate future ahead financially, he'll plod along trying his best with what trash he has.

Nobody of any real quality would want to manage the shower of shite on the books bar a couple of decent players & deal with the constant harassment from the fans and the media.

Shearer would at least get a break from the majority of fans rightly or wrongly, and he'd demand backing from the board. He'd also bring a much needed personality to the club, something GR is lacking, and is killing the connection the club has to its fans even more so than ever with his boring pre & post interviews and constantly banging on about injuries yet isn't making excuses for them. Most fans just think he's a clown now and cringe everytime he opens his mouth.

I think we need Shearer back at the club, we do, but i'm glad we took a break from him as well. We needed to move on emotionally and we have i think, still haven't replaced him on the pitch, but you could say that is waiting to happen with Owen & Martins. I was carrying a lot of angst by the end of last season towards Shearer, the fact he was not doing his job on the pitch and was still being picked was really pissing me off for someone who is supposed to love the club so much, but thats done and dusted now, i think its time for his return, as a manager i dont know, maybe as a figurehead or as a coach, but then GR will know he's been fazed out, and players would quickly lose confidence, so he's either here and in charge, or not at all.

Guest Invicta_Toon

but with his resources in that league, he has done very well considering. put shearer in our position with more money and better players. could he do a job? that's what am getting at.

so let's get this straight. A different person has had success in a different league at a different club with different players. So let's try Shearer?

What do we need from our next manager, and what can Shearer provide?

For me, we need a manager with plenty of knowledge, contacts, links, etc, in foreign countries where good players can be purchased for cheap - not another man with little knowledge outside these isles where player values are hugely inflated. We also need the manager to be capable of bringing his own backroom staff with him, as well as having the ability and vision to improve the framework of the club in terms of fitness, training, coaching, tactics, drilling - essentially, the basics plus an "identity". For example, Arsenal play short, slick football, ManU play with great movement, Liverpool with organisation and discipline (similar for Chelsea and Bolton) - all traits of the respective manager and the style, coaching methods, philosophies, etc, that the manager implements. Bringing in another nothing manager, with no real vision other than to "get good players in all positions and go from there", isnt going to stand up to the competition and get us where we want/need to be.

Can Shearer provide any of this? Doubtful. Maybe hed be as influential as Keegan, who knows, but why should we take the risk? Its not like we are a tiny Division One club with nothing to lose like we were when we appointed Keegan, a man with alot more passion and charisma than Big Al.

Can Big Al even manage a team? We dont even know that. His role as assistant manager, by his own admission, was merely a case of Roeder running a few decisions by him and asking for his opinion on what we have no idea about. The team had a few early bright performances when Souness left, but we went pretty quickly on a poor run where we looked exactly the same as we have done this season. Remember the Charlton defeat? After that, there was a decent result against Spurs - who were awful on the day, especially without King, and dominated the second half despite playing with 10 men - and a handful of decent results against some piss poor opposition, despite the actual performances being pretty poor themselves. Eg, losing 1-0 at half time to Sunderland after looking even poorer than the worst team to have graced the Premiership in ages, playing a Wigan side who had 2 fullbacks at centreback due to injures and then had further injuries in defence during the game, scrappy win against Chelsea who we beat regularly at St James' when the season is over and they have nowt to play for (which we also did under Souness), blowing the opportunity to get to 6th after some extremely negative tactics against an extremely shiite Brum side, etc etc.

The point being, last season's team under the caretaker Roeder was essentially just as s*** as this one, with the difference being an easier run-in. The passing and movement was as non-existent as it is now, the tactics nothing but basic and poor, no drilling or organisation. Not sure how anyone can be judged to be a potentially good manager based on that period.

Fuck it. Get it over with. Until he manages this clubs these threads will continue, and I for one have limits. Fine you fuckers give him the job. I dont't disagree because there is nothing for me to base an opinion on, he may well do well, but who the ferk knows. Sentiment rules.

Hopefully he will lead us to glory upon glory and his statue shall be encased in gold. A legend he maybe, but tomorrow he shall be.... a God! Blah blah blah.

/fingers farking crossed.

Guest smoggeordie

I'm actually talking to a relative of his now and he's not even in the process of taking his coaching badges.

i think we can all agree that the title is inevitable at some point in the future

are you pissed? thought it was only me on a sunday night

Think he means the title of manager for Alan Shearer.

i think we can all agree that the title is inevitable at some point in the future

as i said "im pissed"

as i said "im pissed"

I certainly feel more pissed now for reading the last few posts.  :lol:

as i said "im pissed"

I certainly feel more pissed now for reading the last few posts.  :lol:

lightweight

Much as I'm not keen on giving Shearer the job, I do feel that it's a case of the sooner it happens the better.

It's obvious Shepherd has his eye on Shearer as a future manager, and while that remains the case I just can't see us appointing a top European manager, one with a proven track record and with the qualities tmonkey listed.

I firmly believe its why Souness and particularly Roeder were appointed, as they'll be very easy to get rid of when Shearer decides he wants the job.

So the sooner the better IMO, shite a situation as it is. Maybe he'll succeed, or more likely he'll not fo a whole lot. Either way, it'll be over and done with.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Get him in, get us relegated, get the fat man out, new board, new players, Shearer never mentioned again, kneejerk tosser knownowt fans fuck off, develop some new local talent, get promoted, win the Premiership

my idea of heaven tbh

Guest NIToon

I think it is inevitable in the future but not in the near future, it would be a brave move for someone who is a legend at the club to come in as an untried manager, under perform and lose the credibility he has.  I know you need to start somewhere but is one of the most demanding clubs in the country the place to do it.

Shearer would be better building a reputation away from SJP before returning.  He could have stayed on at the end of last season as No. 2 but would probably have been seen by GR as a stalking horse waiting to take over when he fell on his sword, I'm sure Al realised this as well and that may have been a factor in him not taking the job full time.

Yes it will happen but now is not the time.