Krul, Edgar, Huntington, Pattisson and Carroll to be loaned next season

James

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=plans-to-farm-out-young-stars%26method=full%26objectid=18809862%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Plans to farm out young stars

Mar 26 2007

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Having been forced to speed up their football development due to injuries, Glenn Roeder plans to get rid of Newcastle's youngsters next season - but only on loan.

In a difficult and disappointing season, the arrival of so many of United's young players in the first team has been a rare plus point, with Paul Huntington, David Edgar, Matty Pattison and Andy Carroll all making their senior debuts.

Roeder has also involved James Troisi, Alan O'Brien and Kazenga LuaLua in the Premiership, as well as cup games, but the former head of United's Academy admits he has a different plan for them next season as he attempts to protect their long-term progress. While Roeder, as his Academy background suggests, is committed to youth development, he also knows he needs a stronger set of senior players if he is going to bring the improvements the club's supporters, as well as chairman Freddie Shepherd, will demand.

"We're in talks with David Edgar, all the young lads, (Paul) Huntington, Andy Carroll and Matty Pattison," said Roeder, whose willingness to discuss new contracts with his young players is in contrast to his caution in handing extensions to senior players like Titus Bramble, Nolberto Solano, James Milner and Antoine Sibierski.

Nevertheless, while the youngsters will be rewarded for their fast-track rise this season, Roeder believes they might have to take a step backwards to take another one forward at St James's Park. He explained: "All that group of players, had we not had that injury crisis they would all have been out on loan. I'm a big believer of what we did at West Ham. Harry Redknapp did it, I agreed with him and did it myself. Get the kids out on loan. Joe Cole was the only one who didn't, he went straight into the first team.

"Rio (Ferdinand) went to Bournemouth, Frank (Lampard) went to Swansea, Michael Carrick went to Swindon and Birmingham for one game before being called back, (Jermain) Defoe went to Bournemouth and smashed the goalscoring record down there. I sent Glen Johnson to Millwall for 14 games. We used to watch them, mind you they never played particularly well because the football wasn't conducive to the way they had been taught at West Ham. But they were in a man's environment, a man's dressing room. I'll be looking to do that with the youngsters here at Newcastle next year."

One of those will be Tim Krul and the Dutch goalkeeper, who made a match-winning debut in Newcastle's 1-0 Uefa Cup win over Palermo last November, has a great chance of making in the grade in the Premiership.

However, the 17-year-old has Shay Given and Steve Harper in front of him at United and Roeder knows he needs to find the right club, preferably within easy reach of the North-East, for him to play first-team football at next season if he is to maintain his progress.

He said: "Tim Krul falls into that category, big time. He is a keeper I hold in the highest regard. He had the most wonderful debut imaginable in Palermo but he now needs games.

He is being brought back slowly from injury, he doesn't need to play again this season, but we're looking to farm him out on loan next season, probably for the whole year.

"But you have to be very careful of the club we choose because he has been very well coached by Terry Gennoe and is working with two fantastic keepers who he is learning from. It may be the case we do not want him to go too far away so we can have him in on a Monday and Tuesday so he can still be coached by Terry."

Good decision I think. Also, Roeder seems determined to beefen up our squad to the extent that none of these players will get a look in next season.

I agree, good on two fronts if he can pull it off, they need games under their belt elsewhere and we have to have a bigger squad, so we aren't reliant on them a key stages of next season.

Its a good plan but that does mean Fred will have to do a lot of buying, some of the young lads need regular games so they can improve. Problem is this season they are gaining experience at out expense.

luke edwards has a fine way with words "Having been forced to speed up their football development due to injuries, Glenn Roeder plans to get rid of Newcastle's youngsters next season - but only on loan"  also "We're in talks with David Edgar, all the young lads, (Paul) Huntington, Andy Carroll and Matty Pattison," said Roeder, whose willingness to discuss new contracts with his young players is in contrast to his caution in handing extensions to senior players like Titus Bramble, Nolberto Solano, James Milner and Antoine Sibierski. bit strange that milner and solano are mentioned in that way .

Guest teepee

wise words from glenn there

i do, however, not see the point in keeping pattison - his age and talent considered he will never be good enough for nufc!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That is possibly the most optimistic article I have seen regarding Newcastle's future development.

It will leave a big hole in the squad numbers, which weren't huge to start off with.  Maybe a succession of Bosmans/last year in contract reductions/players with modest fees will be the way to fill the gaps.  After a succession of 'trophy signings' it would be a major shift in strategy, but a better strategy imo all the same.

Guest Stephen927

Brilliant if we can get the numbers in. Would speed up their development a lot and they could get away from the pressures of first team football here. Should toughen them up also as it's a completely different game in the lower leagues.

Another reason why we have to allow Roeder to see out his contract. He really does have the clubs best interests at heart and will do the right things for our long term success. Unfortunately, it means short term we have not looked great, but we have to give him time i.e. nexts eason at least.

Well done Glenn. I've still got some faith in you.

Guest NIToon

Definitely a move in the right direction but that is going to mean some serious beefing up of the squad in the summer.  Krul will be a top class keeper in years to come if his performance in Palermo is anything to go by.  The potential for Huntington and Edgar is plain to see.  Pattison should definitely be moved on permanently though, he's never going to make it as anything other than  a fringe player.  He's had injury problems in the past and I'm glad he appears to be through them but he isn't going to make the grade.  I think it was GR in the past who described him as one of the most natural players he had seen - It's not natural, it's supernatural we need at the moment.

Ideally we want a squad close to 40 players. We currently have a squad of 29.

Remove Krul, Edgar, Huntington, Pattisson, O'Brian and Carroll for the season, or extended periods. Remove Srnicek, Carr, Bramble, Moore, Babayaro, Sibierski?, Onyewu, and Luque possibly/hopefully.

That leaves a squad of 15.

Blimey, that would mean Roeder is bringing in 20 or so player this summer. Exiting times ahead lads. :cheesy:

Guest Ridzuan

I believe that this is a good decision and that when they return,they will be a much better players.However,I will only think we need to loan them if we are able to get more new faces before the new season starts or else,we are committing suicide by loaning them with our small squad.If the injury crisis happens again next season,then we will be in a deep trouble.

Guest Darth Toon

I think ideally we need a squad of around 22 senior players (2 for each position), especially as it looks like no Europe next season, which means 14 fewer games than we've played this year, which is quite a significant difference.

So if we're letting these youngsters go out on loan, then I think the gaps in the squad are obvious:

GK : Given, Harper

RB: Solano, Carr

CB: Taylor, Ramage, Gooch?

LB: Babayaro

RM: Milner, Dyer

CM: Butt, Parker, Emre

LM: Duff, N'Zogbia

ST: Owen, Martins, Ameobi

Top priorities: A top class left back, and at least 1 new centre half, preferably 2 (especially if we don't keep Gooch)

Also needed: 1 centre-mid, one striker and preferably better cover for right back.

So I make it an absolute minimum of 4 new players in, and ideally 6. Of course, if we also sack off the likes of Carr and Babayaro then they'll also need replacing.

Roeder can't afford to let them all out on loan and he knows it..

he made a similar comment in the summer i think.. only to do the exact opposite at the start of the season when apparently he turned down loan offers for Pattison and O'Brien, cause of our thin squad, despite that they have hardly ever featured this season even during the worst injury crisis. glenn just talking the talk again.

West Ham loans usually only consisted of 3-6 months with options to recall players.

I suspect we'd follow that pattern, so these departures are unlikely to have too large an impact on squad depth.

The only one Roeder mentioned going out on loan for the season is Krul. It's probably more likely that Huntington might go out on loan for half a season, and Edgar for the other half. I would like to see Carroll loaned out for the season though. Only heard good things about him. He's only 18 isn't he? Maybe a season in League one then if he does the business hopefully someone in the Championship will take him for another year. Very positive stuff from that article though and i agree with Roeder.

The article does gloss over the fact that Pattison played a few games last season, and looked a lot sharper than he has this term.

True that, he actually looked pretty decent in those few games. There was one in particular, might have been West Brom where I was quite impressed. Was absolute dogshit this season though.

The article does gloss over the fact that Pattison played a few games last season, and looked a lot sharper than he has this term.

True that, he actually looked pretty decent in those few games. There was one in particular, might have been West Brom where I was quite impressed. Was absolute dogshit this season though.

Played two games last season i think. One against West Brom, coincidentally the second worst team in the league, and did well. The second against Birmingham, coincidentally the third worst team in the league, and was awful.

---

Agree with the idea about the loaning out of players. But with out ability in the transfer market? And with our injury record? Wishful thinking i reckon.

is fairly easy to put a recall clause in a loan deal should we need said players so squad numbers shouldnt be a problem.

The first thing I thought when I read that story was that we had better put a 'can be recalled at any time' clause in the loan deal. Loaning the players out is a good move but we all know Newcastle are an injury magnet.