Assessment of current squad and what needs to be done!

Mr. Slugworth

Glenn has come out and stated the obvious and told us that the first team squad needs rebuilding, something we were all more than well aware of.  So here is my attempt to sort through the current squad and honestly assess what we've got, and what we need to do in the summer:-

Goalkeeper:-

Shay Given: World class 'keeper (one of Glenn's 'big-hitters'). Deserves so much more and would be immense behind a half-decent defence.  Verdict: Keep forever!  ;)

Steve Harper: Was side-by-side with Shay back around 99/00 but inevitably, his lack of games has allowed Shay to pull away. The best back up keeper in the league. Verdict: Keep him.

Pavel Srnicek: It's been great having him about, but your times up big-man! Verdict: Release as a player / Involve him in the (youth?) coaching set-up? The guy bleeds black and white and is a legend.

Tim Krul: Haven't seen too much of him but by all accounts (based on Palermo) the lad looks like he could be a major player in years to come. Verdict: Loan out to Darlington/Hartlepool/Carlisle etc.

Defence:-

Right Back

Stephen Carr:  He's lost his heart and his way, not good enough to wear the shirt and needs to move on for everyone's benefit. Verdict: Get rid of him!! 500k-1.5m??

Nolberto Solano:  Has done magnificently this season and has looked the part at right-back. Shocking against AZ Alkmaar imo but hardly his fault. Should be competing for the right back slot next year.  Verdict: 2-year contract.

Centre Back

Oh dear...

Craig Moore: How many games in 2 years? Not really good enough and he doesn't really want to be here anyway now Souness is gone. Verdict: He was free, release him for free and draw a line under it!

Titus Bramble: As i've discussed on another thread, Titus is at the very centre of our problems and he causes uncertaintly which spreads through our defence like a cancer. We'll never get anywhere with Titus in our squad, let alone playing every week. Verdict: He NEEDS to go!!

Peter Ramage: He's a nice lad but really, he just doesn't have it. Remember Stevie Caldwell? Verdict: Get rid, he'd look the part in the Championship.

Steven Taylor: I think he's overrated tbh.  He's got huge potential and is a cracking player, but he's still only 21 and needs to learn his trade under some experienced, solid defenders.  I reckon he'd perform a lot better if his was fighting to get into the team.  Verdict: Keep him, though not as first choice (yet!)

Oguchi Onyewu: I think the guy's worth bringing in tbh, he has the mental toughness and he's a fucking beast.  Playing alongside better players, I reckon he'd look a very good player. Verdict: For £1.8 million, he'd be a good addition to the squad.

Paul Huntington: Shown enough to suggest he could have a future, though he's obviously been thrown in too soon and playing him at left-back wasn't fair to him.  Good attitude. Verdict: Send him out on loan for the whole season.

David Edgar: Never seen him at centre back tbh, but looked composed and confident at left-back. A few years older than Hunty though tbh. Verdict: Send him out on loan to get some competitive experience.

Left Back:

OH DEAR!!!

Celestine Babayaro: I don't know what's happened to him but he obviously has a few problems. Used to be a good player and we've seen occassional glimpses of that, but the bottom line is, we can't rely on him.  Verdict: Keep for 1 more season as second choice back-up, then release.

Olivier Bernard: Joke signing, get rid of him a.s.a.p. Wish someone would pay me a year's wages for fuck all. Seriously though, did they not give him a medical before resigning him??  ???

Midfield:-

Right Wing:

James Milner: He may not be blessed with a lot of attributes, but he's tricky, can cross a ball and is committed. Underrated imo, i'd pick him over Wright-Phillips. Verdict: Keep him, great squad player.

Centre Midfield:

Kieron Dyer: Love him or hate him, he's a hell of a player on his day. Could be the difference for us and imo he's a very important player for us. Verdict: Play to his strengths.

Belozoglu Emre: Not sure if he'll still be at the club come the summer, but I reckon he's a good player to have in the squad for the next few seasons, hopefully untill we're back up amongst the big boys. Again, in a better team, I think we'd see a lot more from him. Verdict: Aim to keep him.

Antoine Sibierski: Deserves a new contract tbh. Good to have in squad for next season. Verdict: 1 year contract, spend season pushing for first team.

Matty Pattison: Haven't seen anything in him which suggests he's going to make it. Verdict: Sell him!! Glenn seems to want to put him out on loan.

Holding Centre Midfield:

Scotty Parker: Suffered from being in and out of very poor team/no consistency, but I do think that if used properly, he's a very good if not excellent player. Verdict: Keep him.

Nicky Butt: He's had an immense season and deserves his place in the team. Has the experience and toughness needed and sets an example to other players. Verdict: Keep him as a squad player.

Left Wing:

Damien Duff: Like Parker, has suffered a bit and would perhaps have looked a lot better if he'd gone to say, Spurs. Not the player he was but you don't lose class and he's a very talented player to have in the squad. Verdict: Keep him to compete with the Zog for the left wing berth.

Chales N'Zogbia: We forget how young the lad is, he's had a shit year with his father passing away and him losing his 'mentor' in Boumsong (???). He'll come back, the future of NUFC! Verdict: Keep him!

Alan O'Brien: Very fast, but so was Linford Christie!! Verdict: Loan him out to see what he can do.

Attack:-

Obafemi Martins: Still young and naive, but clearly he has immense talent and he knows where the goal is!! With good coaching (Shearer, anyone??) could be world-class. Verdict: KEEP HIM!!!  :cheesy:

Michael Owen: Hasn't worked out, has it? I hope he knows that he owes us a spot of loyalty and a lot of goals.  If he gets back to pre-injury form, should be immense.  Verdict: KEEP HIM!!! Don't care what people say, where are we going to find a more natural goalscorer??

Shola Ameobi: As long as he's not first choice, he doesn't bother me. Good enough to have in the squad. Verdict: Keep him. Squad player, no more.

Albert Luque: Already pre-determined. Doesn't belong here anymore and needs to move on. He may well still be a good player, but it ain't gonna work out for him here, it's too late. Verdict: Has to go!! Not on loan, permanently. 1-2 million?? What a fucking waste!!  :rant:

Andy Carroll: Haven't seen enough of him, sounds promising. Verdict: Send him out on loan.

Thus, we'll be getting shot of Carr, Bramble, Moore, Ramage, Bernard, Luque permantly (hopefully) and Krul, Huntington, Edgar, Pattison, O'Brien and Carrol on loan.  That's -12 players.

In conclusion, I feel that we need new players in the following positions:-

1 x Right Back: This Nelson fella sounds good to me!! Not a priority though...

1 x Left Back: Urby Emmanuelson? Gareth Bale? I'd settle for Leighton Baines.

2 x Centre Back: Not Anton Ferdinand, please. Curtis Davies plus say, Luisao?? Metzelder, Ben Haim and Distin are all better than what we have and are available for nothing!!

1 x Centre Midfield: Steve Sidwell. I reckon we're one short and he's free. Great potential.

1 x Attacker (Target Man): Not for playing long ball, but just to be a physical presence and put it about a bit. We've got Oba and Owen, we need something a bit different. Ashton/Crouch/Zigic??

This leaves us with just about 2 solid players in each position i.e. Jose's 'ideal squad size.' I reckon this is the way to move forward with the squad and if we get the recruitment right this summer, we'd have a strong chance of a top-6 finish next season (the bare minimum requirement for this club). Thoughts?

In:

LB: Maxwell/Heinze/Baines/Bridge - Maxwell and Heimze have proven themselves numerous times. Typical european full backs.

RB: Someone who has proven theselves and can be relied on.

CB: What Slugworth said

CM: If Emre leaves, we need a european style creative midfielder. Butt, Parker and Sidwell (if) arnt exaclty playmakers. Would like to see Landon Donovan in newcastle, or maybe Quaresma (Yes he's expensive, yes he's a right winger, but i want him  :rolleyes:)

ST: Santa Cruz/Tuncay Sanli/Berbatov - Players who are fast, good in the air and also have great technique and creativity.

Left over cash (if we have any): Talents who can play in the first team and are decent enough as backups. Like Hunty and Edgar, but different positions

In:

LB: Maxwell/Heinze/Baines/Bridge - Maxwell and Heimze have proven themselves numerous times. Typical european full backs.

CM: If Emre leaves, we need a european style creative midfielder. Butt, Parker and Sidwell (if) arnt exaclty playmakers. Would like to see Landon Donovan in newcastle, or maybe Quaresma (Yes he's expensive, yes he's a right winger, but i want him  :rolleyes:)

ST: Santa Cruz/Tuncay Sanli/Berbatov - Players who are fast, good in the air and also have great technique and creativity.

Left over cash (if we have any): Talents who can play in the first team and are decent enough as backups. Like Hunty and Edgar, but different positions

How much do you reckon Newcastle have to fund transfers?

In:

How much do you reckon Newcastle have to fund transfers?

about 50p.

In the cold light of day, the only players at the club who are good enough for what I would want are Given, Zoggy, Owen, Butt, Taylor and Solano.

Dyer if he stays fit.

On his past performance for his old clubs. Duff, but not the player we have seen here. Ditto Parker, the player he was at Charlton, but maybe it is too long ago for him to recover himself again.

Martins, probably, but I'm not totally convinced.

Milner, possibly. He lacks pace but can overcome that like Beckham did if he improves his crossing.

Not counting the youngsters who have only came into the team, because Edgar most definitely looks promising. Huntingdon maybe. Not impressed with Pattison at all.

The rest are all expendable. For the right price.

Fair enough, he's got a long way to go to be even close to the finished article, but I still find it hard to believe people are yet to be convinced by him. New club, new country, new style of football, new philosophy (i.e. hes our main striker now whereas he was almost always just seen as a sub at Inter). Scores 16 goals in his first season and will probably score a good couple more before the end of the season.

And most significantly, he's playing for us. Tactically clueless, long ball obsessed NUFC. What does he have to do to convince you?

Fair enough, he's got a long way to go to be even close to the finished article, but I still find it hard to believe people are yet to be convinced by him. New club, new country, new style of football, new philosophy (i.e. hes our main striker now whereas he was almost always just seen as a sub at Inter). Scores 16 goals in his first season and will probably score a good couple more before the end of the season.

And most significantly, he's playing for us. Tactically clueless, long ball obsessed NUFC. What does he have to do to convince you?

A fair question. I think he blows hot and cold, he is inconsistent. However this may be improved playing alongside a decent partner or better still a midfield player who can support the front players quickly, and I mean both these things.

I don't like the way he doesn't lift his head up and restricts his vision, I think this is a SERIOUS flaw in a player. Put against that, I love the way he fights to win back possession if he loses it through doing the above.

He may be small, but gets up well. However, not well enough. Its no good saying he's gets up well for his height, no 6ft plus defender is going to feel sorry for him, if he misses these opportunities through being small, then he misses them !!! End of.

As for his goalscoring, a few spectacular goals dont' hide the fact that he misses a lot of close in opportunites. The best strikers, the real quality ones, don't score spectacular goals, they score goals from close in, they hit the target, they force the keeper to work, they are the best strikers BECAUSE THEY SCORE THESE GOALS. Because the majority of goals are scored in these areas, close to goal.

Put against that, he has gone missing but still has a good attitude, he likes to score, he is a bit greedy, which is good, but I don't like the fact he goes missing, too much. Again, better players around him may cure that, because he has other good points. We will see. I wouldn't write him off or sell him, I would want to see him playing before deciding. If I was watching him I would think he is worth a try and buy him on this basis but consider it slightly risky, and so far as you say he is now our main man and Roeder did well to spot him, however that position could easily change if someone better comes along or Owen committed himself to Newcastle and we find they are not compatible playing together.

Steve Harper: Was side-by-side with Shay back around 99/00 but inevitably, his lack of games has allowed Shay to pull away. The best back up keeper in the league. Verdict: Keep him

mackems.gif

Oh dear.

Harper is gash. Might aswel bring Budgie back.

Decent assessment, Slugworth - wouldn't disagree with much of that. All players to bring in are pretty much the same as what i'd like aswell.

Though wanted to comment on this...

Pavel Srnicek: It's been great having him about, but your times up big-man! Verdict: Release as a player / Involve him in the (youth?) coaching set-up? The guy bleeds black and white and is a legend.

Is Glenn Roeder a good manager? Is Terry MacDermott a good assistant manager? Is Lee Clark a good coach? No. They just 'know the club'. Bored of the sentiment. Get rid.

---

Would get rid of the following:

Stephen Carr

Craig Moore

Titus Bramble

Olivier Bernard

Matty Pattison

Albert Luque

The priority for me is left-back, absolutely no doubt about it. If i was to select one area of the team that is the weakest, and has been for years, it would be wing-back every time - but i feel that we now have a more than adequate solution for the right hand side, in Nobby. On the left however, for years we've paid little money and got nothing players. This needs to be sorted out now - we can't be pissing away silly little sums for rubbish players anymore. Time to sort this out.

LB - Leighton Baines. £6-8m

The next priority for me, after left-back, is undoubtedly centre-back. If we're going to be bringing in one very good defender, we need to bring in another, because one just won't sort us out. With the departures of both Moore and Bramble (with a bit of luck) inevitable, ideally we'd like to see two centre-halves come in, which is more than possible what with the freebies floating around. I agreed with Roeder's sentiment about loaning Edgar and Huntington out next season, but i think that's wishful thinking given our recent transfer window failures. Bramble will probably end up staying aswell.

But it would be possible to bring two in - pay for one and snap up another. This, ideally, is what i'd like to see. Plus, someone to bring on the likes of Taylor and Ramage aswell.

CB - Luisao. £5-6m

CB - Sylvain Distin. Free

Now, the striker situation comes into play. For me, the strike department isn't the number one priority, whereas for many others it is. Not forgetting that we're expecting Sibierski to sign on for another 37 years, but Shola and Owen will be back and i think Dyer should firmly be considered as a forward, and a forward only next season. One other striker would be handy, but if we so typically go and splash away another big bulk of cash, on a 'big name' striker that we simply don't need - i'll be frustrated. Spend the money where it's needed to be spent.

ST - Mark Viduka. Free

I'm putting this one as the last priority, but when the transfer window opens, we should immediately be snapping this player up. With Parker enigmatic, Emre's future uncertain, Butt getting on and Dyer erratic - i reckon we could do with a centre-mid. A box-to-box centre-midfielder is just what we need for our first team, i reckon. This player would fit in to our set-up i reckon, and atleast would be an excellent squad player.

CM - Steve Sidwell. Free

Five signings, three freebies. Three very good frees i reckon. Those five there is the minimum that i would be on the lookout for. If the funds/time/awareness from manager is available, then a right-winger and a right-back would be handy aswell, because we'll need cover for Milner and Nobby cannot play every game in two positions. Personally, if we were to go for those two other positions, i'd like to see us go in for Glen Johnson and Giles Barnes. Two young but quality right-sided players.

Guest Invicta_Toon

out of interest, does anyone actually know the maximum number of signings we have made in one window so far?

Put against that, he has gone missing but still has a good attitude, he likes to score, he is a bit greedy, which is good, but I don't like the fact he goes missing, too much. Again, better players around him may cure that, because he has other good points. We will see. I wouldn't write him off or sell him, I would want to see him playing before deciding. If I was watching him I would think he is worth a try and buy him on this basis but consider it slightly risky, and so far as you say he is now our main man and Roeder did well to spot him, however that position could easily change if someone better comes along or Owen committed himself to Newcastle and we find they are not compatible playing together.

Agreed, but I'm convinced he has proven himself and will continue to get better. I think a lot of his problem is the rest of the team and the coaching.

Sell: Parker, Carr, Duff

Release: Moore, Bramble

Buy: Fernandes, Mendes, Baines

Pick up on Frees: Distin, Ben Haim

Keepers - Given, Harper, Krul

RB: Solano, Edgar

LB: Baines, Babayaro

CB: Distin, Ben Haim, Taylor, Huntington

RM: Milner, Dyer

CM: Mendes, Fernandes, Emre, Butt

LM: N'Zogbia, Dyer, O'Brien

CF: Martins, Owen, Sibierski, Ameobi, Dyer

Team would line up like below. Attacking full-backs, two hard-working, defensive, creative, ball playing central midfielders covering - one of them acting like a deep seated playmaker (carrick, alonso, riquelme, pirlo) and another as an energetic worker (Essien, Hargreaves, Gattuso), Butt can come in for either player and slot in quite easily. Zoggy and Dyer act as wide forward cutting inside a la Pires and Ljungberg/Cole and Robben, Owen staying in and around the box. Big question over this line-up working is the effectiveness of Martins in the hole, using his pace to stretch defences. He'll need to improve his link-up play and first touch, he's shown he can do this in flashes, he just needs to do it consistently. Dyer and Emre can also play in this position if needed. The players named are just examples, but those are the types of player we should be looking at if we want to play that system., ie Aerially proficient centre-halves, playmaking midfielder, powerful energetic midfielder, attacking left-back:

Owen

N'Zogbia    Martins    Dyer

Fernandes Mendes

Baines                        Solano

Ben Haim Distin

Given

Also the possibility to switch to an orthodox 4-4-2 in case of injuries or for tactical reasons, using Milner out wide, replacing one of the central midfielders with Emre and perhaps bringing Ameobi into the side.

Guest NIToon

Good assessment Mr Slugworth  :clap:, time to ship the deadwood and also rans.  the flaws in the squad would be obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse.

I hope that there is a radical overhaul in the summer, particularly with the defence and a play making midfielder.

It's worth mentioning that 'Bosman frees' aren't totally free. The players usually get a hefty signing on fee and huge wages on the account that the club did not have to pay a fee for them.

Players know that we're always going to pay above the odds anyway.  Shipping some of the deadwood already mentioned should free up a good chunk for wages

It's worth mentioning that 'Bosman frees' aren't totally free. The players usually get a hefty signing on fee and huge wages on the account that the club did not have to pay a fee for them.

As do big money signings.

£8m + signing on fee + wages

or

Signing on fee + wages

... which one would you prefer?

Distin is shite imo, agree with the other signings though. (Yorkie)

Don't think anyone can deny he's a better player than Onyewu though. I also like the fact that he gives us proper cover at left back. Two for the price of nothing. Only downside is his age and he may be considered 'over the hill' and 'looking for his last pay package'.

Unusual for a Bosman signing on fee to go over £3m though so, more often than not, it still works out significantly cheaper than buying on the open market.