Roeder not fearful of the Shearer factor

Paully

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article1572767.ece

He has loomed over Newcastle United’s recent history in much the same manner as St James’ Park dominates the Tyneside skyline, but Alan Shearer is regarded as an ally by Glenn Roeder, the manager, not a threat. As the club conclude a difficult campaign engaged in navel-gazing, the name of their record goalscorer figures prominently, but Roeder is embracing his position as a “long-term” project.

There is something irresistible about Shearer returning to manage his home-town side. Since his retirement as a player last summer, he has combined television punditry for the BBC with the process of acquiring his coaching qualifications, but while he has spoken enthusiastically about the prospect of life in the dugout, the timing, as yet, does not seem comfortable.

As striker, captain and talisman, Shearer effectively enjoyed a power base at Newcastle to rival most managerial incumbents he worked alongside. Ruud Gullit tendered his resignation after banishing Shearer to the substitutes’ bench for a game against Sunderland, while the odd bout of tension in his relationship with Sir Bobby Robson was interpreted as destabilising.

Theoretically, something similar could apply to Roeder, who is working on a one-year rolling contract, but the Londoner takes an opposing stance. “It never crosses my mind,” he said. “Alan texts me before every single game, wishing me all the best and he has been very supportive. I don’t think I’m just keeping the seat warm for Alan; I see myself here long-term, very much so.

“I see him as my friend. He understands the problems we have had. He has endorsed that during the season, saying how difficult the job has been. I don’t believe anyone could have done better.”

Roeder is not only coping with heightened expectation — albeit doused by a crippling injury list — but also a cult of disappointment. Without a domestic trophy since 1955, hope and disillusion have long been married, from Newcastle’s implosion under Kevin Keegan to tame performances in recent cup competitions.

The trend continued in their listless departure from the Uefa Cup, when AZ Alkmaar were allowed to recover from a two-goal deficit to reach the quarter-finals. “Nobody wants to win more than me,” Roeder said. “Nobody wants to change Newcastle more than me. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change the culture of Newcastle United. That result against Alkmaar is Newcastle.

“It’s not just about this season or last season, it’s the Newcastle which threw away a 12-point lead at the top of the Premiership, which you would have thought was impossible. It’s engrained in that badge.”

At such a tempestuous club, managers can rarely afford to look beyond the immediate, but Roeder took a calculated risk when he found his leading transfer targets unavailable last January and refused to sign inferior alternatives. “There are managers out there whose philosophy is to keep surviving for the next six months, but what do they achieve for their clubs?” he said. “Not a lot.

“I’ve been prepared to gamble on my job here for the good of Newcastle, so that in the summer I can hopefully get the signings I want. There is no reason to think at this particular time that we won’t. We can go into next season with a better squad. The mould will be broken and what will break it is the squad of players we have.

“I will be judged on the quality of player I will get into this club. That is why anyone who comes in here will be my signing. I will be judged on that player. I’m happy to be judged on [Obafemi] Martins, [Antoine] Sibierski and [Damien] Duff, but three signings is not my squad.”

This article misses out the best line: from teamtalk.com

" "Now, anyone who comes here will be my signing. I am happy to be judged on (Obafemi) Martins, (Antoine) Sibierski and (Damien) Duff, but three signings is not my squad.

"If we can get another four then half the squad will be mine."  "

So it looks like a squad is now 14 players, well at least it'll keep Freddy happy with the wage bill

So, basically he's saying that everything in this history of the club prior to his taking over has sucked, including the players that are currently in the squad that he didn't sign.

Nice one. I'm sure that's going to instill a lot of confidence in the players.

Can someone please show him the door.

Happy to be judged on his three signings?

Martins - Done very well, but still not convinced he was Roeder's 'first choice'.

Sibierski - Tried hard, got a few goals against Euro-shite. Quite clearly stop-gap only.

Duff - Utter shite.

The less said about Rossi and Bernard the better.

Not looking so great is it Glenn?

Journal Sport News

Glenn rejects talk of job threat

Mar 27 2007

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Glenn Roeder last night rejected suggestions that he is doing nothing more than keeping the manager's chair at St James's Park warm for Alan Shearer.

Glenn Roeder

Roeder has been put under more pressure than at any other period of his managerial reign at Newcastle following the back-to-back defeats by AZ Alkmaar and Charlton Athletic, which put United out of Europe and well off the pace to qualify for next year's Uefa Cup through the league.

But Roeder is confident he has nothing to fear regarding his future in the job, at least not from the man who would arguably be the overwhelming favourite to replace him.

Shearer has sensibly decided to take a break from football following his retirement as a player and appears to be enjoying life as a pundit for the BBC. But while the 35-year-old has refused to reveal his long-term plans, Newcastle's talismanic former captain is still believed to want the manager's job at some point.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

"It never crosses my mind," insisted Roeder, when asked whether Shearer's shadow hanging over him was difficult to deal with. "Alan texts me before every single game wishing me all the best. I don't think I'm just keeping the seat warm for Alan. I see myself here long-term, very much so.

"I see him as my friend. He texts me with little messages and has been very supportive to me. As a football person he understands the problems we have had. He has endorsed that during the season at times in the media saying how difficult the job has been. I do not believe anyone else could have done any better. People will imagine this or that, but when you're in the melting pot, no one could have done any better.

"There are still eight games to go and we must finish the season on a high. Every game is three points. No one has been more disappointed than me when we have gone a goal down in the last couple of games and the reaction we have had."

In a problematic present, Roeder has clearly tried to move the focus forward in recent days and he is adamant he has behaved in the best interests of Newcastle's long-term health and vitality this season. Both chairman Freddie Shepherd and Roeder failed to sufficiently strengthen the side in the two transfer windows since the end of the previous campaign, but United's manager argues that will benefit them in the summer as they look to build a new-look side.

He explained: "There are managers out there whose philosophy is keep living for the next six months, keep surviving. But what do they achieve for their clubs? Not a lot. They end up with a squad with an average age of 36.

"I've been prepared to gamble my job here for the good of Newcastle, so that, in the summer, I can hopefully get the signings I want. There is no reason to think, at this particular time, that there is any reason we won't get them.

"I'm quite happy to be judged by sensible people, by football people, on what has happened this season. Sensible people, football people, think I've done more than okay this season.

"I've got brought up by Terry Venables at QPR and he said the only people you should worry about when they criticise you are the people you respect. Everyone else? Don't even think about it, let it go over the top of your head.

"The criticism I've had this season doesn't bother me, it doesn't give me sleepless nights. Compared to what has been thrown at me at West Ham, I think people have been fair this season.".

well imho he is getting a bit of a bunker mentality about him ,always on the defencive and name dropping to vindicate himself .bit worring about this "my squad " stuff and i wonder if milner has a future the way has been treated

in recent times considering how he was pissed about with in the summer.

Guest elbee909

This article misses out the best line: from teamtalk.com

" "Now, anyone who comes here will be my signing. I am happy to be judged on (Obafemi) Martins, (Antoine) Sibierski and (Damien) Duff, but three signings is not my squad.

"If we can get another four then half the squad will be mine."  "

Also I'm sure Souness said a very similar thing too.  Sigh. 

I hate the way he keeps using injuries as an excuse now, its getting very tiresome. Obviously its been awful, especially with Owen out, but if we'd signed a couple of defenders in the summer we'd have never struggled like we have.

Dont see why Shearer would want the job until Shep was well out of the way (if it ever happens) otherwise he'll just be another part of the nufc managerial merry-go-round, steps in, does a decent job, shep helps him sign some crap, loses his rep, gets sacked...

Sorry, he's lost the plot now, he's full of shit. :rant:

"I'm quite happy to be judged by sensible people, by football people, on what has happened this season. Sensible people, football people, think I've done more than okay this season.

The same "sensible people, football people" also told us that Souness was doing a good job and should be given more time, absolute horse shit.  He's starting to look worse than Souness now, somebody said that he was arrogant the other day, I've got to agree.  He's never going to change until the "sensible people, football people" tell him he's doing something wrong.

Jesus wept, I really couldn't imagine putting myself in his position and coming out with this.

Sorry, he's lost the plot now, he's full of s***. :rant:

The same "sensible people, football people" also told us that Souness was doing a good job and should be given more time, absolute horse s***.  He's starting to look worse than Souness now, somebody said that he was arrogant the other day, I've got to agree.  He's never going to change until the "sensible people, football people" tell him he's doing something wrong.

Jesus wept, I really couldn't imagine putting myself in his position and coming out with this.

I noticed this too, what he's basically saying is those criticising him (the fans mainly, press have actually been pretty easy on him considering) know nothing, he doesn't respect them he only respects his fellow managers.

So if we liken that to the real world, My customers think I'm doing a really bad job but my mates at work think I'm fine so there's nothing to worry about really.

Love to see a national paper pick up on this with the header "Roeder has no respect for the fans"

Guest Invicta_Toon

the amount of ridiculous shite he gets on here, why the fuck should he respect the fans?

fuck em I would say, I'll just get on with the job till I'm told otherwise

Guest hagler

in the winter when roeder wears that long black coat he looks like one of the bee gee's...not the dead one or the one with the beard that was shagging dolly parton...but the gay looking one..its not realy a image that goes down well at sjp.....whats that bee gee song....tradedy