Owen back in FULL TRAINING a week on Monday

Guest hindu times

PSG wanted about £4m iirc, but went to Man City for more wages. He's also got that wanker of an agent Willie Mckay, another reason to stay clear.

Oh, and he's French.

Guest BooBoo

I still think we could do with another mid priced striker. Carrol is unproven and probably going on loan, Sibierksi staying isnt a positive step IMO and Shola is Shola.

Distin wanted the same wage as Robert (perfectly reasonable to me), we wouldn't give it to him...so we instead paid £6m for Bramble and gave him probably more than we offered Distin.

Probably did the same with Bernard. "You want 30k per week? Fook off, we can get Babayaro for only 5k per week more, ya fat wanka Olly."

As for why Distin left in the first place...

SYLVAIN DISTIN'S agent has rebuffed suggestions from Newcastle United, that his client is a mercenary and blamed the North East club for the failure of the transfer.

The French defender joined Manchester City earlier this week, after rejecting a move to Newcastle - where he has been on loan for most of last season.

Newcastle supremo Freddy Shepherd attacked Distin as a mercenary and blamed the player's agent Pape Diouf for engineering him away from Tyneside.

"Sylvain Distin has turned his back on the elite European competition and the reason is purely mercenary," said Shepherd. "When we brought him to England no other club was interested. We agreed a fee with PSG and the agreement was that we had first refusal on him.

"That's when his agent got involved. We made him a very generous offer, but we weren't going to be held to ransom."

However, the French agent has told planetfootball.com that Shepherd was somewhat hasty in his desire to lay the blame elsewhere.

"The player has been on loan at Newcastle for the last year and if they really wanted him, they would have made sure they got him," said Diouf.

"It is not my mistake, they had the chance and to call him a 'mercenary' is completely wide of the mark.

"He had the chance to join a number of other Premiership sides last year, but he chose to move to Newcastle on loan - if he was a mercenary he would have signed for Bolton for £3.5 million instead.

"Myself and my partner Willie McKay have acted correctly."

Shepherd tried to calm the water when Souness bid for him in January 2005 by saying that Sir Bobby wanted to sign Bramble instead iirc.

Isn't this thread meant to be about Owen...?... I'm really looking forward to having him back. The brief spell of games he had for us in 2005 showed what a great player he is.

i'm looking forward to seeing him back, to see if he has anything of the old Owen left or not. I'm not convinced he'll stay, but hope he does (assuming he still has it). But i'm not fussed for this season - i'd rather increase the chance of him coming back under a competent manager, not Roeder.

Distin is better than any defender we currently have on our books.

Take away Taylor and you could say that about absolutely loads of defenders. Doesn't mean we should buy them though.

We wouldn't be buying him, he's available on a free.

Unless you think we're going to have 10's of millions to spend in the Summer to buy 3 top class CB's we can't look down on our noses on players who would improve both the squad and the starting 11.

Just dont get why Roeder would rule Distin out. Granted hes not a top calibre centreback, but hes in between "decent" and "good" for me, and on a free would be absolutely perfect for us, because it gives us alot of freedom when signing other defenders.

We could bring Woodgate back, a world class defender who it seems the top teams dont want to take a risk on. We arent going to get anywhere near as good a centreback as Woodgate, we also have an utter shiite defence, and Taylor has the potential to be a star but needs to be playing alongside someone he can learn from, and hence theres every reason for us to take a gamble on Woodgate. The risk of him becoming a perma-crock again could be offset by bringing Distin in on a free. Those two signings alone would transform our defence and give us so many options - Woodgate Distin in the centre, Taylor Distin if Woody is injured, Taylor Woody with Distin at left back if we needed it.

Hence, we could look to spend less on the left back position, a non-household name who has potential could become an option, because if they flopped, wed always have Distin to provide strong defensive cover in that area of the pitch.

Hes fast, comfortable on the ball with adequate distribution, experienced, a leader, relatively solid defensively, and probably a good professional if hes captain at City. Everything our defence could do with.

Makes sense on all levels, except of course his personal demands. Wouldnt be suprised to see him going to Portsmouth or Villa on inflated wages. But that doesnt mean we still shouldnt be interested, especially since we can offer him the chance to play with arguably bigger names (Owen, Martins, Shay, Duff, Emre, Dyer etc).

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=star-shay-waves-off-criticism%26method=full%26objectid=18818810%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Glenn Roeder will keep a close eye on Given's performance. The Irishman suffered an injured knee in a collision with Craig Bellamy at the weekend but, having missed Monday's training, he has been passed fit to face the Slovakians.

Obafemi Martins has returned from Nigeria, with sources in Lagos claiming the striker required treatment at the weekend for an unspecified injury. Oguchi Onyewu has also returned from the United States.

First-team training will resume tomorrow morning and Steven Taylor will play a prominent part. The defender missed the latest England Under-21 international with a calf complaint but has declared himself fit for this weekend's Premiership game against Manchester City.

"I've been training this week and thankfully there has been no reaction," he said. "I will be okay (for Saturday's game). It's a massive game given our recent results and we need to win if we're going to push for Europe."