Problems solved at last!!

Optimistic Nut

Story

Ramage ready to help Toon's quest

Mar 27 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Peter Ramage told Newcastle United that he's ready to come back into battle and help salvage something out of a season that is in real danger of turning into a major disappointment.

Ramage would love to play some part in the clash with Manchester City and he certainly gave a watching Glenn Roeder food for thought with a steady shift in the reserve clash with Liverpool last night.

The Geordie defender has been missing since January 20 when he went off with a hamstring injury against West Ham, but is back once again after playing 74 minutes against Liverpool.

Glenn Roeder had a close eye on Ramage at Kingston Park last night and the Academy product impressed despite the 3-0 defeat.

Indeed, United looked to have weathered the storm despite plenty of Liverpool chances, but Ramage's withdrawal coincided with a late Toon capitulation.

Looking ahead to Man City, Ramage told the Chronicle: "It's up to the manager and the physios to decide if I am ready.

"But all I can do is keep chipping away and play like I know I can.

"It is out of my hands but I am ready if I am needed.

"It has been a long and frustrating time out for me and probably the worst period of my career.

"I hate being injured, and being out for so long has been hard.

"It is the first time in my career I've had any kind of substantial period out.

"But it's great to be back playing again and, hopefully, push on from here until the end of the season."

Despite United's average 11th place position in the Premiership, Ramage still feels there is plenty left to fight for this term, and is hoping use last year's run-in as an inspiration to claw something out of the fire.

He added: "There is a lot left to play for and it is a massive eight games. We put a lot into last year to get into the InterToto Cup and this has to be repeat performance.

"People are saying our season is over - it's far from over.

"The Premiership this season sees us at the other end, the wrong end.

"But two or three wins on the trot and you are back up there, and teams are looking up at you rather than you looking down.

"Hopefully we can pick up some points and put a stop to the bad run."

Ramage was as disappointed as anybody to lose last night, but three goals in the final 16 minutes paved the way for victory against a young Liverpool side that could easily have won by more than their 3-0 scoreline.

Ramage, though, was grateful to be back and said: "You miss it when you are out injured.

"You are in the stands and heading every ball for people or making that tackle.

"It's great to be able to get out there and do it myself again, I felt good and strong.

"In the first half we did OK, but it was nice to get back out there, despite losing."

Huzzah! ;D

In the bigger picture: by Saturday we might only have two injured players and by Monday, both of them could be back in full training.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

The sad thing is that I think Roeder could be tempted to use him :(

When Roeder has to make a decision about the team selection we struggle - FACT!

Don't know why people are laughing at Ramage. It may well be the general concensus that he isn't up to desired standard but here you have someone who gives his all, someone who is eager to offer his service.

Welcome back Ramage.

Guest JamesD

to add to what delima said, he's not as bad as most people on here make him out to be.  Not spectacular, but decent enough to be in the squad.  One of our best periods this season was with him and taylor at CB.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/how-to-score-past-newcastle-parts-29-of-a-plausible-38/

BLAME COUNT - Season 06/07

Responsible For 6 Goals Conceded

Peter Ramage

Responsible For 5 Goals Conceded

Stephen Carr

Responsible For 4 Goals Conceded

Celestine Babayaro

Nicky Butt

Scott Parker

Responsible For 3 Goals Conceded

Steven Taylor

Shay Given

Responsible For 2 Goals Conceded

Nolberto Solano

Steve Harper

Craig Moore

Responsible For 1 Goal Conceded

Titus Bramble

Paul Huntington

Matthew Pattison

Damien Duff

Kieron Dyer

Who the hell put Bramble in that category? Madness.

Somebody who obviously studies the game for faults so he can then write about it for the front page.  Not that hard to work out is it ? Is it hindering your ability to blame Bramble for everything. 

Funny thing is before the away leg at AZ he had been our best CB for 5 games consistantly with Taylor taking the flack. He made that superb tackle everyone was going on about. Then he is fault for one of the goals at AZ in what was a bad team display by everyone, dropped against Charlton where we still conceed 2 goals and its all his fault.  Agreed he is not top 6 class but who is in our team ?

Guest Gemmill

Rebellious not at all biased in his defence of Bramble then. ;)

I think blaming him for only one goal conceded ignores the fact that he returns possession to the opposition CONSTANTLY with his aimless punts up field, inviting pressure on us.

Who the hell put Bramble in that category? Madness.

Somebody who obviously studies the game for faults so he can then write about it for the front page.  Not that hard to work out is it ? Is it hindering your ability to blame Bramble for everything. 

Funny thing is before the away leg at AZ he had been our best CB for 5 games consistantly with Taylor taking the flack. He made that superb tackle everyone was going on about. Then he is fault for one of the goals at AZ in what was a bad team display by everyone, dropped against Charlton where we still conceed 2 goals and its all his fault.  Agreed he is not top 6 class but who is in our team ?

Guess you missed the game at home to Fulham then?

Ramage is a better left back than Huntington, be good to have him back tbh. He's shite, but our best option while Babayaro is out.

I look forward to seeing that crab like running style. :D

I think blaming him for only one goal conceded ignores the fact that he returns possession to the opposition CONSTANTLY with his aimless punts up field, inviting pressure on us.

Surely your talking about Shay Given there ?

Ramage is a better left back than Huntington, be good to have him back tbh. He's shite, but our best option while Babayaro is out.

I look forward to seeing that crab like running style. :D

Agreed Ramage has got to grips with the LB position out off all the CB`s tried there, doesn`t make it any less painful to watch.

Guest Gemmill

Given and Bramble.  As bad as one another in terms of distribution, but there's little doubt as to who makes the more positive overall contribution.

Given and Bramble.  As bad as one another in terms of distribution, but there's little doubt as to who makes the more positive overall contribution.

I would say the only 2 players that havn`t been aimlessly punting it to no one this season are Nicky Butt and Keiron Dyer. Parker and others play worse balls closer to our goal that gives away possession closer there fore putting us under more intense pressure.

Guest Gemmill

I would say the only 2 players that havn`t been aimlessly punting it to no one this season are Nicky Butt and Keiron Dyer.

Seriously mate, Bramble's long aimless punts are one of our biggest problems imo.  Which is why I can't understand why no one on the coaching staff has bothered to tell him to stop.  Saying "well other people are doing it too" is firstly not a defence, and secondly, NO ONE is doing it to the extent that idiot boy is. 

I know you're mates with him, but I just the lad is bereft of any brain power at all.  If I kept pumping the ball long like that, and every time I did it the cries of derision came from the crowd, I'd think "You know what, I might stop doing that."  Not Titus.  HOOOOOOOF!  Goal kick.  HOOOOOOF!  Throw in.  HOOOOOOF!  Defender heads clear.  Rinse.  Repeat.

Dyer hasn't been punting it because he doesn't have the ability to kick the ball hard and in the air. ;)

Titus reminds me of a school defender. The teachers used to pick the centre halves based purely on how hard and far they could clear the ball. :lol:

Feel free to write your own article for the front page Rebellious, anyone can do so as a guest. All the articles are obviously opinion-based.

Yes it is opinion based and I will side with SBR on this one. I feel because of the expected progression that didn`t happen, as with most youngsters at our club he gets more critisised. The same in time will happen to Taylor. People are right and I agree he is not top 6 material and never will be but I can`t help but get pissed off with the over exageration compared to ther players. Its his own fault tbh he should have moved on 2yrs ago.