I want battlers, not bottlers

BottledDog

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder has warned Newcastle United that he will not tolerate having any "bottlers" at St James' Park.

And the United boss has threatened that players not showing bravery or pulling their weight will be shown the door.

This is in reply to a point put to Roeder during the Chronicle's exclusive question-and-answer session, with Matthew of Northumberland asking: "What are you going to do to instil some bottle throughout the team?"

And it's certainly a fair question after some United heads most definitely went down when Charlton went ahead in their 2-0 victory at The Valley a week past Sunday.

Indeed, Roeder says: "Generally speaking, since I became manager of this club last February and bearing in mind the number of injuries we have had, I have been delighted with the response from our squad of players.

"This was shown in our results from February to the end of last season when, considering the position we were in, we managed to finish seventh in the Premiership.

"However, in our last two games in Alkmaar and at The Valley I was particularly disappointed with the attitude of two or three of our players - not all of them - when we went a goal behind.

"This is something I just will not accept. I know who these players are and it will not matter to me whether they have contracts or not - they will not feature in my long-term plans for this football club."

Glenn Roeder answers your questions exclusively in the Evening Chronicle tonight!

"However, in our last two games in Alkmaar and at The Valley I was particularly disappointed with the attitude of two or three of our players - not all of them - when we went a goal behind.

"This is something I just will not accept. I know who these players are and it will not matter to me whether they have contracts or not - they will not feature in my long-term plans for this football club."

Blaming the players yet again, even though it was his decision making, selection, tactics, substitutions, coaching, motivational abilities, that were the main reason for our defeat against Alkmaar. He bottled it, but guess what, he gets to stay.

And who was it who spent 5mill on the most invisible player that night in Alkmaar, a player who needed to be replaced after 55 or so mins? Who failed to sign the players required to achieve our goals this season?

For sure, its all the players' fault. Two or three of them have no bottle, thats why we lost against Alkmaar. Absolutely nowt wrong on Glenn's part.

Were not going to get anywhere with this fool.

He's confusing me, was he not at the time pleased with the 'response of the players' after the Charlton game despite the loss?

As for two or three players being disappointing, I think you would be hard pressed to suggest two or three players who were not disappointing imho. And as you suggest tmonkey, the direction of those players was probably the most disappointing aspect of the lot.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Speaking of bottlers, he is the biggest one, shit scared to drop either Parker or Butt or Taylor or Bramble

Guest shaun11177

Which players are been referred to though-he is clearly pointing the finger to at  least 2 players.

I don't get why everyone has to have such a negative response to what is a mainly positive article. A lot of people on this forum strike me as the kind that decide they don't like someone and then try and turn everything into a reason not to like them.

I personally don't have a problem with Roeder.... and this article sounds good to me.

Quoted for truth.

Guest teepee

i also want battlers - and i think that one as left back and central defence would make a world of difference for us.

but we also need a bit more quality and leadership - remember the times of lee, shearer, speed - their attitude and leadership qualities ment a so much!

I don't get why everyone has to have such a negative response to what is a mainly positive article. A lot of people on this forum strike me as the kind that decide they don't like someone and then try and turn everything into a reason not to like them.

I personally don't have a problem with Roeder.... and this article sounds good to me.

Spot on.

Spot on Hindu.....but there'll always be forum muppets who just breathe negativity. Something in their lives may not be going their way so they need to vent their frustrations on something.

I, like you, have faith in Roeder. I know hes not the best but as long as hes moving the club forward, no matter how slow it seems, I'm fine with that.

Spot on Hindu.....but there'll always be forum muppets who just breathe negativity. Something in their lives may not be going their way so they need to vent their frustrations on something.

I, like you, have faith in Roeder. I know hes not the best but as long as hes moving the club forward, no matter how slow it seems, I'm fine with that.

That something being the clubs results, and the other something being the manager responsible for the team possibly?  :lol:

Yes, the criticism is overwhelming, but it comes in the main as a reaction to the slew of negative displays and confused comments coming from SJP. It can be helped though, and I hope you're right about Roeder. Wouldn't it be great if  he can, through performances on the pitch and sensible words off it, turn things around and give us an overwhelming sense of positivity for the future. Fingers crossed eh, you obviously have more faith that that will happen than me.

i don't get why people take so much notice of any interviews.he'll not tell what he really thinks,just what he thinks we want to here,every manager is the same,and rightly so.

Nice to know that you dont have a problem with Roeder, but care to explain what is specifically wrong with the "negative" responses?

Dont you agree that its a tad daft to to label two or three "bottlers" when the entire team as a whole bottled it, and none more so than the manager with his ultra negative tactics and zero motivational skills in Alkmaar?

Plenty of players had stinkers, some should be moved on because theyve had too many nights like that, but exactly who "bottled" it other than "all of them"? For me, it reads like hes just pinning the blame on two/three players who he knows will be shipped out in the summer.

Yes, all managers talk shiite, but when a manager is particularly shiite at the job hes supposed to be doing, and on top of this comes out with bullshit that deflects all blame from himself, there should be no suprise when it pisses people off more then they get pissed off when a top manager talks shiite.

i don't get why people take so much notice of any interviews.he'll not tell what he really thinks,just what he thinks we want to here,every manager is the same,and rightly so.

So in his interviews he is spouting shite because he thinks it is what we want to hear, not what he believes?

Christ, he clearly has even poorer judgement than I could possibly have imagined. You have just convinced me that the man is an utter fraud as well as an arrogant, disillusioned, and thoroughly cowardly manager. Well done.

Guest eyeball_tickler

GLENN ROEDER has launched a blistering attack on Newcastle’s bottlers and raged: “You don’t have a future here.”

The Toon manager is fuming with his under-achieving stars after the nightmare UEFA Cup defeat at AZ Alkmaar and their slump in Premiership form.

The outburst appears to be directed straight at Titus Bramble and on-loan American stopper Oguchi Onyewu, who will be booted out of Tyneside at the end of the season.

Defender Bramble, who is out of contract in the summer, came under fire after his Euro stinker in Holland.

And Standard Liege’s Onyewu has failed to impress enough to bag a deal at St James’ Park.

Roeder is also frustrated with the form of Damien Duff, who has failed to live up to his superstar billing following his £5million arrival from Chelsea last summer.

Roeder said: “Generally speaking, since I became manager last February and bearing in mind the number of injuries we’ve had, I’ve been delighted with the response from our squad.

“However, in our last two games in Alkmaar and at Charlton I was particularly disappointed with the attitude of two or three of our players when we went a goal behind.

“This is something I just will not accept. I know who these players are and it will not matter to me whether they have contracts or not.

“They will not feature in my long-term plans for this football club.”

A Toon source said: “Bramble and ‘Gooch’ knew they had it coming. They have had their chances but not taken them.

“Duff has been a disappointment but Glenn is hoping he recaptures his form for a real push next season to show just what a top player he can be.”

Roeder also hit back at Sunderland boss Roy Keane for his astonishing blast at Shay Given.

Keane accused Toon keeper Given of playing too much for the Republic of Ireland just so he could break Pat Bonner’s appearance record.

Given was set to equal Bonner’s tally of 80 caps by lining up against Slovakia at Croke Park last night.

Roeder rapped: “Shay is the perfect professional.

“I just wish every player I managed had Shay’s enthusiasm to play in every game.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007140532,00.html

poor gooch. he's hardly had a game and he's in the firing line.

Bramble and ‘Gooch’ knew they had it coming. They have had their chances but not taken them.

:lol: Absolute bollocks that article. That he's talking about Gooch is total supposition.

Blaming the players yet again...

Big bad Glenn the bully picking on our poor multimillionaire players who can't string together a pass against Charlton or maintain a 4-2 advantage in Holland.  FFS.

Roeder has made some stupid decisions and done nowhere near enough in the transfer market, but a new manager won't change the fact that some of them just aren't good enough. 

A good manager wouldn't stand by players like Bramble & Carr or magically transform them into Premiership quality....he'd sack them and replace them with better ones. 

Blaming the players yet again...

Big bad Glenn the bully picking on our poor multimillionaire players who can't string together a pass against Charlton or maintain a 4-2 advantage in Holland.  FFS.

Roeder has made some stupid decisions and done nowhere near enough in the transfer market, but a new manager won't change the fact that some of them just aren't good enough. 

A good manager wouldn't stand by players like Bramble & Carr or magically transform them into Premiership quality....he'd sack them and replace them with better ones. 

But a good manager wouldn't pretend they were top class. Neither would a good manager be as tactically woeful as Roeder.

He talks a load of shite, and isn't good enough. Simple as that.

A manager should be able to improve the players in his squad. He shouldn't have to just spend money to bring in his "own" new players.

Presumably Roeder (and Souness before him) would have been totally unable to ever manage a national team as they would be limted to a pool of players that they couldn't go about and imrpove through buying.

A manager should be able to improve the players in his squad. He shouldn't have to just spend money to bring in his "own" new players.

Presumably Roeder (and Souness before him) would have been totally unable to ever manage a national team as they would be limted to a pool of players that they couldn't go about and imrpove through buying.

what does that make mourinho

what does that make mourinho

what does that make ranieri...