Solano

Nate
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There's no doubt Nolberto has been somewhat of a revelation at right-back this year, but do you think he's good enough to keep the position next season? Right-back has seemingly slipped down the list of priorities in the Summer and with Roeder continually talking up Carr i suspect he thinks we already have enough strength in that area. I am undecided wether we need to spend a share of our supposedly limited budget on someone of Lucas Neill's ilk, or take a gamble on a young full-back from the lower leagues to shadow Solano for a couple of seasons and eventually takeover from him.

Thoughts?

Even if Carr were to go, which won't happen, we'd have cover in the area anyway with Taylor and Ramage - albeit fairly shoddy. But Nobby is very accomplished in that position, and although he's getting on a bit now, he doesn't get that many injuries. I'd be happy to see him installed as the first choice right-back, so that we can focus the cash on more pressing defensive needs. It's the other wing that needs serious investment.

If i were to bring in a right-back though, my first pick would be Glen Johnson, although i can imagine he'd have quite a few suitors after a good season with Portsmouth. Justin Hoyte from Arsenal will be available, i think. Don't know an awful lot about him but he's fairly highly rated. A lot of developing to do aswell so might be a decent investment.

Nobby's a very clever player and clever players can do a job in most positions, but that's what he's doing: "a job", he's nowhere near a top-class right-back and is quite easily found out by quality players. Having said that, he's infinitely preferable to Carr, so for me it'd be a toss-up between him and Taylor for the slot at the moment. However this doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for a new right-back as a matter of priority, we need at least two full-backs bringing in, one for each side.