Tonights Ronnie Gill

Skirge

Two stories from tonights Chronicle

I won't go psycho if we win

Mar 29 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Antoine Sibierski today revealed that he won't rub Stuart Pearce's nose in it if he scores against his old club Manchester City on Saturday.

The French striker was shown the door at Eastlands on transfer deadline day after Pearce decided he had no future at the club for whom he signed under Kevin Keegan in 2003.

Newcastle's 11th-hour approach for Sibierski left many Premiership observers open-mouthed, while City fans questioned the judgement of United and why they wanted to sign a player who had stagnated since making an initial impact at the Citizens.

United fans' expectations of Sibierski were non-existent when he arrived at St James' Park.

But with eight goals to his name, some of them important strikes in Europe and the Premiership, during a season without Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi, the Frenchman has proved to be a bargain freebie for Glenn Roeder.

And despite proving many City fans wrong by showing he has plenty to offer the Magpies, he won't let temptation get the better of him with over-zealous celebrations in front of ex-England man Pearce should United come out on top..

The former Newcastle defender goes into the game under immense pressure, with his Sky Blues deep in the mire.

But Sibierski said: "Stuart Pearce has shown he is human by getting on with his job.

"He is the same as us - we are under pressure and we have to do the same as him.

"Of course I want to do well against my old club.

"The first thing, though, is we need to win for our team and for our fans to be happier.

"Personally, though, I will be very, very happy to beat them, but Newcastle comes first."

Sibierski was in the United side dumped out of the UEFA Cup in Holland during the last-16 tie against AZ Alkmaar and featured in the dire 2-0 defeat in the capital against Charlton.

Sibierski said: "We have now lost the last two games, so it is not a good run for a club like this.

"We have to train very hard and concentrate.

"I am sure with the qualities we have we can succeed. We must have a bit more communication, though."

French striker Sibi is in line to sign a one-year extension to his current deal which expires this June, with Roeder looking to have Michael Owen, Oba Martins, Shola Ameobi, Andy Carroll and Sibierski all vying for frontline slots next term.

Sibierski, though, is only focused on the immediate future and added: "We have to work hard collectively and individually.

"It is always hard when you lose as a group but that is the way it is.

"Even if you do some good things as an individual, you are usually judged as a group.

"That's frustrating, but for players, staff and for the fans the situation isn't easy.

"We understand that the fans feel bad and we know we aren't doing well.

"We have to keep working and prepare very well for the Manchester City game."

AND

Moore issues Toon rallying call

Mar 29 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Craig Moore has pledged to the Toon Army that NewcastleUnited will be ending the season with a roar and not a whimper.

The Aussie defender returned to the fray in United's last Premiership encounter against Charlton and could retain his place in the home clash with Manchester City.

World Cup star Moore has endured a torrid time in the treatment room this term after a hamstring injury decimated his season.

Moore hasn't been alone at St James' Park in the injury stakes, with the quota up to double figures for long painful periods.

But with just Stephen Carr, Celestine Babayaro and more significantly strikers Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi out injured at the moment, Moore feels there is enough quality to repeat the finish to the season achieved last term by Glenn Roeder.

And after defeats in the last two games against AZ Alkmaar and Charlton, he told the Chronicle: "Going out in Europe was a major disappointment, but you need to pick yourself up for the home fans.

"If we didn't do that our fans wouldn't be happy.

"They cannot see us moping about and we need to get back to business and do that as quickly as possible.

"That is all you can do in this situation."

United, of course, won six of their final seven games in the Premiership last term to achieve an unlikely but extremely welcome seventh place and a European slot - albeit the InterToto Cup.

Moore appeared in all six of those wins and put in a solid performance in the 0-0 draw at Birmingham City before doing his country proud in the World Cup by helping guide them to the last 16.

Now the former Rangers man wants to put his injury troubles firmly behind him.

And the 31-times capped Australia defender also underlined how important the professional attitude of United will be in the last eight games.

He added: "We need to try to get back to winning ways immediately.

"That has to be our mentality in the last few games of the season..

"We are professional footballers and you have to go out to try to win games.

"Although we are coming to the end of the season, it is still important for Newcastle United to finish in the best possible way.

"We need to look to win as many games as we can."

Sibierski to score against a decent defence?

hmmmm

Rang one off the woodwork vs. Chelski.  He can do it, he's the super sib!

the phrase 'even a broken clock is right twice a day' springs to mind

and Sib has been hit a sledgehammer and run over by a Hummer H2

I was absolutely convinced he was going to score in the reverse fixture after the stick I'd given him had been thrown back in my face when he played against Estonian postmen every other week...But since then, my opinion of his shiteness has been recornfirmed...so I'm convinced we'll keep him out. Therefore he's certain to score.  :weep:

Guest Mantis

The Chronicle is on its knees, gasping for breath, reaching out for someone to take them seriously.  Sadly, the same rubbish is spouted in the sports pages each week.

'X promises to fight to finish'

'We've got to give a performance for the fans after getting beat'

'X looking to return to the side before season ends'

'Roeder interested in X' (enter random name)

Followed by Alan Olivers 'I understand X is not part of Roeders plans.'

'Shepherd assures fans of club ambition, blah, blah'

If the club wasn't run like a soap opera, the Chronicle would have folded years ago.