Two Questions.................may need Macbeth's help

Martin Lol

1.  Does anyone know how much was paid out in dividends in the last Annual Accounts?

2.  If that money had been used to improve the defence instead of the shareholders' bank accounts, how many places higher in the league do you think Newcastle would be now?

I reckon roughly where Spurs are now, maybe just above, maybe just below.  Bearing in mind the Premiership pay out £500k per place, that would be an extra £2/2.5m coming in to improve the squad further.  Personally, I think it's a false economy to pay dividends, what does everyone else think?

1.  Does anyone know how much was paid out in dividends in the last Annual Accounts?

It was nothing !!! (There's a little part of me that woudl like to believe it was my web-site that prompted this, but really they just ran out of cash having taken so much out in previous years)

2.  If that money had been used to improve the defence instead of the shareholders' bank accounts, how many places higher in the league do you think Newcastle would be now?

They did invest the same amount in improving the defence as they did in the share dividends :)

I reckon roughly where Spurs are now, maybe just above, maybe just below.  Bearing in mind the Premiership pay out £500k per place, that would be an extra £2/2.5m coming in to improve the squad further.  Personally, I think it's a false economy to pay dividends, what does everyone else think?

:rolleyes:

Think he means this season, where they're 7th and we're 11th. But frankly I couldn't give a shit about Spurs.

We have invested in the defence, that we haven't is a bit of a myth. Boumsong for  £8m and Bramble for £4-5m are obvious examples - just we signed bad players!

Guest Invicta_Toon

It was nothing !!! (There's a little part of me that woudl like to believe it was my web-site that prompted this, but really they just ran out of cash having taken so much out in previous years)

They did invest the same amount in improving the defence as they did in the share dividends :)

I reckon roughly where Spurs are now, maybe just above, maybe just below.   Bearing in mind the Premiership pay out £500k per place, that would be an extra £2/2.5m coming in to improve the squad further.  Personally, I think it's a false economy to pay dividends, what does everyone else think?

"ran out of cash"?

but hang on, isn't this the same NUFC plc that you claim pays out dividends whether there was a profit or not?

(a) Can't find anything on the final numbers from 2006 - but in the prelim (i.e. not signed by auditors) accounts no dividuend was proposed for the year.

In terms of cash dividends I don't believe that any have been paid for a few years now, they took additional shares in lieu of dividends a couple of years back.

(b) Depends on how they are paid/how the club structures transfers - i.e cash up frot or installments.

If you've got surplus cash, why not. As a plc its expected no matter how a company could put the cash to better use

I reckon roughly where Spurs are now, maybe just above, maybe just below.   Bearing in mind the Premiership pay out £500k per place, that would be an extra £2/2.5m coming in to improve the squad further.  Personally, I think it's a false economy to pay dividends, what does everyone else think?

"ran out of cash"?

but hang on, isn't this the same NUFC plc that you claim pays out dividends whether there was a profit or not?

Vic, Profit and cash are not the same thing.

Profit (or loss) includes depreciation/ammortisation etc which have nil cash impact.

Admittedly in the long term profit is realised as cash, but looking at it in a 1-5 year span wold mean that it is the cash position (and accumulated profits) that dictate a dividend - hence the shares taken as divi a couple of yers back

Guest shaun11177

There were no dividend payments as the club couldnt afford it, not this season or last season.

The Directors took out more shares so that when the dividends resume they get even more money too make up for the 2 years missed.

(a) Can't find anything on the final numbers from 2006 - but in the prelim (i.e. not signed by auditors) accounts no dividuend was proposed for the year.

In terms of cash dividends I don't believe that any have been paid for a few years now, they took additional shares in lieu of dividends a couple of years back.

(b) Depends on how they are paid/how the club structures transfers - i.e cash up frot or installments.

If you've got surplus cash, why not. As a plc its expected no matter how a company could put the cash to better use

2002 £4.5m cash, on loss of £3.1m

2003 £4.1m cash, on profit of £4.2m

2003 £4.5m share buy back to one shareholder

2004 £3.95m cash, on profit of 4.2m

2005 £1.3m cash, £2.6m shares, on breaking even

2006 no dividend on loss of £12m.

5 year total

£13.9m in cash, £2.6m in shares, and £4.5m to buy back shares, total of £20.9m given to shareholders on top of nett loss of £6.8m

Think he means this season, where they're 7th and we're 11th. But frankly I couldn't give a shit about Spurs.

We have invested in the defence, that we haven't is a bit of a myth. Boumsong for  £8m and Bramble for £4-5m are obvious examples - just we signed bad players!

precisely.

I agree about not giving a shit about spurs too.

Think he means this season, where they're 7th and we're 11th. But frankly I couldn't give a s*** about Spurs.

This isn't, nor ever was it intended to be, a thread where Spurs was on the agenda.  It was simply relating to what the dividend was last year and could it have been spent better.  In fact, as there was no dividend, the second question automatically became irrelevant.