BBC / SKY lose FA Cup and England rights

Sparks

BBC 'caught napping' in TV rights battle

By David Bond

Last Updated: 1:45am BST 30/03/2007

The BBC were accused of being "caught napping" last night as rivals ITV and Setanta snatched the television rights to FA Cup and England games from them in a £425 million raid.

Sources in the media industry claimed the BBC and Sky had been complacent as ITV chairman Michael Grade, working in conjunction with the Irish pay-TV broadcaster, pulled off one of the most audacious coups in recent sporting memory.

The BBC, who currently share the rights to FA Cup and England games in a £300 million four-year deal due to expire next summer, fiercely denied the claims with insiders insisting the FA had simply opted for the bigger offer on the table.

It is also understood that, in a last-ditch attempt to persuade the FA to stick with their current partners, the BBC's director general, Mark Thompson, and Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker fronted a joint presentation with Sky's Richard Keys at the BBC's White City headquarters on Monday.

However, it did not convince the FA to reject ITV and Setanta, whose bid is thought to be worth £50 million more than the one submitted by the BBC and Sky.

The new deal, due to start in August 2008, will give Setanta 17 live FA Cup matches, with ITV showing 13. But ITV will get the first- choice game in each round plus the majority of England qualifiers and friendlies

I like how they think sending Richard Keys and Lineker along would sway the FA.

"Ooh, a smug looking ex-pro with dubious presenting skills, and the 2nd hairiest man in football.....quick, lads, cancel that contract with the ITV, we're staying with these fellas".

I'm getting more and more pleased that I signed up to Setanta last year. I was unsure whether it would be worth it just for the Ice Hockey and foreign football but since then they have acquired the right to the Australian Rugby League, Premiership for next year and FA Cup for the year after.  :coolsmiley:

oh dear must admit i like bbc for the cup stuff but itv piss me off with there presenters and studio guests and how good is the coverage by setanta and who are the studio gits on there.

means more time spent at the pub watcing the footy...

reckon it's a cost saving exercise by the BBC, cut the funding for that to invest in more top quality programs like Eastenders  mackems.gif...and BBC3 (waste of space that channel).

Disastrous news tbh.  I thought John 'Hehe' Motson was bad but I can't stand Clive 'Man Utd are great aren't they  :smitten:' Tyldesley.  ITV are bloody woeful at football coverage.  The only real thing BBC1 had going for it was the FA Cup games as well. 

That has got to be the shittest news I have found out this year ! ITV and Shitanta great. Could some one please let me know what I have to spend now on Setanta to get what ? I take it I have to keep Sky Sports and also pay my TV licence for BBC regardless of them now not showing football.

Shearer will have less work now won`t he ?