Champions League Qualification - Cup or League?

Martin Lol
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UEFA are to consider a proposal that would see cup winners qualify for the

Champions League.

The radical idea will go before representatives from clubs, leagues and

national associations in June before a final decision is taken by UEFA's

executive committee in September.

If the proposal wins support it will see the FA Cup winners take the place of

the team that finishes fourth in the Premier League and would apply to any

country who have more than one team qualifying for the elite European

tournament.

UEFA's communications director, William Gaillard, told PA Sport: ``This is one

of many, many ideas that are being discussed. It will go before our new

strategic council in June and a final decision will be taken in September.

``Many ideas are circulating of contrasting views and this one is that the cup

winners from countries with more than one qualifying team for the Champions

League would go into the tournament.

``Many people like cup competitions and feel that the end of European Cup

Winners Cup has been a raw deal for the cup winners.

``It would need the agreement of the clubs, leagues and national associations

so if they support it, it will go forward or it might just disappear.''

UEFA new strategic committee will have representatives from European's

football governing body, the players' union FIFPro, the leagues and the clubs.

It will also be asked to look at an idea put forward by UEFA president Michel

Platini that would see the lowest qualifying teams from England, Italy, Spain,

Germany, France and Portugal playing off against each other for three places in

the group stage of the Champions League.

Interesting thought.  The FA Cup would all of a sudden become hugely popular again!

great idea bring it on .pity it takes so fookin long to get the go ahead though.

one question though if the winner of the fa cup has already qualified for the champions league would that meen the loser would get in instead i wonder.

great idea bring it on .pity it takes so fookin long to get the go ahead though.

one question though if the winner of the fa cup has already qualified for the champions league would that meen the loser would get in instead i wonder.

I would welcome the FA Cup winner qualifying over the 4th place club, but if they already qualified, for it to fall back on 4th place, and not the runner up. I also agree that the UEFA Cup winner should automatically go to the Champions League the following year, even if it means a lot of clubs from a single country are in it.

I think this is aimed at the mainland europe leagues, in the main their prime domestic cup ranks way lower than the carling cup here....I think there have been some strange winners of the German one in the past.

FA and UEFA cup winners should get Champions League football I reckon  :clap: to them if they do go ahead wth it.

I totally agree.  It would also add a bit of spice to the Premiership with (presumably) the Big 4 chasing just 3 CL places based on league position.  With, for example, the Emirates stadium funded by expected CL participation to the group stages for the next 10 years, the possibility of no CL involvement at all would be a huge black cloud on the horizon for Arsenal.

Is it not right that the 'big four' have a virtual monopoly on the FA cup over the last decade or so anyway? And this is even when they supposedly dont take it seriously.

Pretty well true but the team that comes 4th can't necessarily expect to win the FA Cup to continue their participation in the CL.  Under the FA rules the losing finalist takes the European spot if the winners had already qualified.  Having said that, I'm inclined to agree with Alex, the G14 will close ranks and it won't happen.  Shame really.

Guest NIToon

FA and UEFA cup winners should get Champions League football I reckon  :clap: to them if they do go ahead wth it.

I totally agree.  It would also add a bit of spice to the Premiership with (presumably) the Big 4 chasing just 3 CL places based on league position.  With, for example, the Emirates stadium funded by expected CL participation to the group stages for the next 10 years, the possibility of no CL involvement at all would be a huge black cloud on the horizon for Arsenal.

Surely Mr Jol, you wouldn't wish ill will on Arsenal?? ;D ;D ;D

In the interest of the underdog, I think it would be good to see the place going to the runner-up in the FA Cup if the winner has already qualified.  Outside the 'Big 4' in the past ten years that would have thrown in the spammers, Milwall, Southampton, Villa, Us and the smoggies.  Maybe some of the teams are going to look like whipping boys but there's always the possibility of the giant killers mentality that exists in the FA Cup.

stupid idea.  wont happen imo, will just result in a load of weak teams getting knocked out in the qualifying rounds.

maybe thats good though for 3/4 placed prem teams, as they will waltz through the qualifiers like a hot kniffff tru dog turd.

Guest smoggeordie

I reckon all those who were eliminated in the last 16 of the Uefa Cup should automatically qualify for the CL.

So all the little clubs that get on a lucky run and end up in or around the final should get into the CL? Stupid idea. I'm all for smaller clubs doing well (as long as we do better), but it's the same as the whole 'minnow' debate regarding Andorra etc - it's just a poorer level of competition and thats not what the CL is all about.

Guest smoggeordie

So all the little clubs that get on a lucky run and end up in or around the final should get into the CL? Stupid idea. I'm all for smaller clubs doing well (as long as we do better), but it's the same as the whole 'minnow' debate regarding Andorra etc - it's just a poorer level of competition and thats not what the CL is all about.

Imagine if Millwall had got CL a few years ago :lol:

It would be great to have a CL place for the FA Cup winner, but is this supposed to work for the various other national cups around Europe? Most of them are pretty worthless. Then again, with a CL spot for the winner, that might change.

I would welcome the FA Cup winner qualifying over the 4th place club, but if they already qualified, for it to fall back on 4th place, and not the runner up. I also agree that the UEFA Cup winner should automatically go to the Champions League the following year, even if it means a lot of clubs from a single country are in it.

100% agree with this

Guest optimistic nit

brilliant idea imo. at the moment: the fa cup is losing reputation. there is 0 competition in the league. the same teams will qualify for the CL every year, increasing the gap between them, football as a whole is more boring.

your forgetting that even irish teams have teams entered for the champions league, so how would the winner of the fa cup be worse than say, shelborne. its not as if they get automatic qualification, they would have to qualify depending on their seeding which if it was, say millwall, would make it very likely that they would get knocked out. all for it imo, and when you see some of the teams getting into the last 32 (mid table prem teams or even worse) it wont bring it down one iota.

also: if the team doesn't win then it should fall back to 4th place, with the runner up going into the wafa instead (maybe even possibility of cl for winner, wafa for loser and increase the amount of qualification spots available for the wafa in the big leagues by 1. (its not like there aren't a gazzillion qualifing rounds already).

wafa winners should also get cl footie.

Guest optimistic nit

by the way imo every league club in every nation that this is applicable deserves to be able to vote on this. if it goes to the g14 then its a bad sign for football.

brilliant idea imo. at the moment: the fa cup is losing reputation. there is 0 competition in the league. the same teams will qualify for the CL every year, increasing the gap between them, football as a whole is more boring.

your forgetting that even irish teams have teams entered for the champions league, so how would the winner of the fa cup be worse than say, shelborne. its not as if they get automatic qualification, they would have to qualify depending on their seeding which if it was, say millwall, would make it very likely that they would get knocked out. all for it imo, and when you see some of the teams getting into the last 32 (mid table prem teams or even worse) it wont bring it down one iota.

also: if the team doesn't win then it should fall back to 4th place, with the runner up going into the wafa instead (maybe even possibility of cl for winner, wafa for loser and increase the amount of qualification spots available for the wafa in the big leagues by 1. (its not like there aren't a gazzillion qualifing rounds already).

wafa winners should also get cl footie.

How is the FA Cup losing it's reputation considering since 1988, only two teams outside the "big 4" have won it? (Spurs in 91 & Everton in 95).