Bramble or Gooch

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Darth Toon

According to today's Journal, Glenn is going to keep one of either Titus or Gooch for next season - which do you think it will be?

Gooch for me - Titus has proved unreliable over a number of seasons now, while the Gooch could get a lot better once he settles in.

Link:

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=onyewu-left-in-limbo%26method=full%26objectid=18832214%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

If I had to make the decision now it would probably be "shambles" Gooch hasn't really looked any better and would cost us another few million.

Bramble or Distin/Ben Haim though....

Guest NIToon

According to today's Journal, Glenn is going to keep one of either Titus or Gooch for next season - which do you think it will be?

Gooch for me - Titus has proved unreliable over a number of seasons now, while the Gooch could get a lot better once he settles in.

Link:

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=onyewu-left-in-limbo%26method=full%26objectid=18832214%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Gooch hasn't totally impressed but hasn't really had a regular back four to line up with, maybe with a true leader at the back, that may change.  Bumble has to go, no question. 

If it was a choice at the moment I would rather bring in two new CB's but if it is a choice between the two, I keep Gooch

Thing is people defend Gooch with the "not had a regular back 4" or "Needs a leader to play with" when has Bramble ever had these things? When he played with Woodgate he looked a good player. He has his faults and isnt good enough but as said Gooch has shown his flaws and costs us an extra £2m+?

the fact we are gonna keep one of them shows where this club is going in the next few years...

it'll be Bungle we keep, and we'll sign Sib... just medioce players for a mediocre club.

if they had any balls, they ship the lot out and start again.

the fact we are gonna keep one of them shows where this club is going in the next few years...

it'll be Bungle we keep, and we'll sign Sib... just medioce players for a mediocre club.

if they had any balls, they ship the lot out and start again.

Balls = Shit loads of money

??

Gooch. He isn't that error prone as Shambles, as he has enough strength and height to perform in premiership.

As least, he seems to have to best future among all our defenders currently having, except Taylor.

Christ, Gooch everytime. We've not seen a lot of him, but to keep Bramble will be a huge mistake. If anything, its a signal of us accepting mediocrity by offering him a new contract.

If we're planning on signing 2 centre halves anyway (as the Journal 'understands' ;)), Gooch wouldn't be bad as 3rd choice.

Christ, Gooch everytime. We've not seen a lot of him, but to keep Bramble will be a huge mistake. If anything, its a signal of us accepting mediocrity by offering him a new contract.

If we're planning on signing 2 centre halves anyway (as the Journal 'understands' ;)), Gooch wouldn't be bad as 3rd choice.

Would Gooch be included in the 2?

Gooch, providing he finally gets used to the pace of the game over here. Got the attributes to be a success.

Got the same as Bramble from what I have seen.

Yeah - but Bramble is English and has had years and years at the highest level to draw on his attributes and get rid of his flaws, and he's pretty much failed to do so. Gooch is a bit younger, from another country, from a far poorer league, and has only been here a month or two. I don't think Bramble will ever get rid of his flaws, whereas I feel Gooch has the determination to do so and as soon as he gets used to the game over here I think we'll see a far better player.

In my opinion.

Gooch, providing he finally gets used to the pace of the game over here. Got the attributes to be a success.

Got the same as Bramble from what I have seen.

Yeah - but Bramble is English and has had years and years at the highest level to draw on his attributes and get rid of his flaws, and he's pretty much failed to do so. Gooch is a bit younger, from another country, from a far poorer league, and has only been here a month or two. I don't think Bramble will ever get rid of his flaws, whereas I feel Gooch has the determination to do so and as soon as he gets used to the game over here I think we'll see a far better player.

In my opinion.

Fair enough, good post. Although I will say if Gooch struggles to adapt he could turn out worse than Bramble. At least Bramble has good games/spells (awaits someone coming along saying he has never had a good game ever and their 3 legged cat would be better)

Absoltuely no contest - Onyewu. Melan's post was a very good one - it was spot on. We've watched Bramble, for the past five years here 'develop' into nothing, and not fulfilled any potential that we may have had. He's not going to get any better - he's the same player now as what he was in 2002. Shit. If he was going to improve, and turn in to this player that so many people claim is sublime, then he would have done it by now. He's going to be 26 next season, he's hardly a whippersnapper.

Gooch on the other hand, has a similar potential to Bramble, and he's a bit younger. He's come from other shores, and he hasn't been especially bad. He's been a bit ropey but then he's played with a different backline in every game, and he's never played in the Premiership beforehand.

No-brainer for me, but i know that Roeder will keep Bramble on. It's inevitable.

Bramble has never been able to play football. He's average, average, average. What makes it worse is that he is prone to errors and quite a few injuries.

Still haven't see enough of Gooch to get a reasonable impression but seems to pretty solid in the air in particular (thats no suprise).

There is only 1 year between them isnt there? Some are talking like Gooch is 18!

As said before the whole "never had a same back 4" argument is also a bit unfair, how often has Bramble? When he has he has been partnered with the likes of Andy O'Brien!!

If it continues the way it has I would rather spend the £2m elsewhere even if that means a £2m signing on fee to Ben Haim or Distin as although they are far from world class they are a lot better than what we already have and are already proven in this league.

I wouldn't keep Bramble under any circumstances.  He is a poor player and has had ample chances to prove otherwise.  But I wouldn't automatically keep Onyewu either.  Setting up a choice like that doesn't make sense.  Either one or both of the players are good enough, or are they aren't - in which case we are compelled to buy replacements for both.