John Arne Riise -BANKRUPT

Skirge

How on earth with his kind of wage, can he ever be classed as bankrupted.

Liverpool defender John Arne Riise has been declared bankrupt by the courts for an unpaid debt of around £100,000.

The Norway international, who earns around £50,000 a week, was declared bankrupt at Liverpool County Court.

Riise is listed as a bankrupt on the government's Insolvency Service website at www.insolvency.gov.uk. Legally a bankrupt is a person who has debts they cannot pay.

It names John Arne Riise, gives his address, but fails to list his occupation, giving the status as 'Currently Bankrupt'.

Riise, 27, is involved in a legal battle with his former agent, Einar Baardsen, over how his fortune has been invested. Baardsen stopped representing the player in 2005.

The case is reported to be linked to an alleged £3 million fraud investigation currently going through the courts in Riise's native Norway. It is understood Riise may be liable for debts incurred from failed business enterprises, including a hotel.

Sources say the player may not even have been aware he was being taken to court at the time - as he was away on international duty with Norway.

It is understood the bankruptcy order was made after a debt of around £100,000 was not paid.

The debt was liable to be paid by him out of the legal dispute in Norway.

The footballer's solicitors are understood to be preparing to go back to the court as early as Monday to have the bankruptcy order annulled.

A source close to the player said: "There was a bankruptcy order issued at Liverpool County Court but it is an oversight that the issue even came to court and the matter is now in the hands of his solicitors treating it as a matter of urgency.

"They are confident the issue can be resolved in the near future."

Riise left Monaco to join Liverpool for £4 million in the summer of 2001. He signed a new contract last January that keeps him at the club until 2009.

A spokesman for Liverpool FC said: "We are unable to comment as this is a private matter."

Guest teepee

How can you be Bankrupt for a debt that costs you 2 weeks wages! He must be paying a hell of a lot out on other things!

40% straight to Gordon Brown.

consider the upside - in denmark that would have been closer to 70%  :rolleyes:

How can you be Bankrupt for a debt that costs you 2 weeks wages! He must be paying a hell of a lot out on other things!

40% straight to Gordon Brown.

Needs to speak to the Arsenal players more then, still a months wages!

Guest Sniffer

I'd have a word with my accountants I think. There are some really, really bad ones out there I understand.