Roeder has brung us down to his level

Stevie

When I was a kid, I grew up accepting the fact that we were shit. We sold our best players, were delighted to avoid relegation, and replaced stars with mediocrity. From top to bottom we accepted the fact we weren't ever going to get much better, all most of us had ever known was mediocrity and destroyed dreams, so we didn't expect anything. The loser mentality went through the club from top to bottom. I don't blame McFaul or Jack Charlton or Jim Smith for this, they didn't have the tools or the means of making us any better, and why bother anyway when mid table is seen as achievement. We bought players occasionally who were good but never the best, we signed players the top teams would turn their nose up, because in truth it's all we could get.

In 1992 Keegan came in, and changed everybodies mindset about who we are, and what we should expect. Keegan indirectly questioned the very expectations of the fans.

Why should we feel inferior to anyone? Why have we accepted we're not good enough? Why can't we be like Liverpool? Why don't we at least attempt to buy the best players? These are all questions which in my opinion sum up Kevin Keegan's reign at the club. He gave us the self esteem as supporters, and as a club on the whole, that we hadn't known for generations.

Even after Keegan left, we've maintained the self-esteem. How often do you hear the words "Newcastle are a massive club."? What does that mean? It can mean many things, but Keegan's reign at the club made us realise that we should be proud, and we didn't win anything during his time but I think we have fond memories to look back on. We went from being delighted with signing John Robertson and Mick Quinn, to being delighted with signing Ferdinand, Tino and Shearer. Our expectation was now, we can get the best.

Freddie Shepherd, continued this mind-set. Yes he has made catastrophic errors, some might say he's well past last chance saloon, he probably is, but he kept the self esteem going. Maybe it's embarrassing listening to him say we're the 8th biggest club in the world, but the fact he even utters this myth shows however ridiculous it is we are a big entity, with big ambitions. The fact we bid for Rooney, and were bold enough to sign Michael Owen, no matter what anybody says, shows the club at the top, have high standards and high expectations, even though work on the defence has been needed for a long time.

My worry is now with Glenn Roeder, he is lowering the bar month by month. We've went from being linked with Ronaldinho, to our manager coming out and announcing he is an admirer of Kenny Miller, and sees him as a potential target. Would Keegan or SBR or even Souness employed Antoine Sibierski? Would they have signed a centre half with little or no top class experience from a club who aren't even amongst Belgium's elite? Would Keegan have told someone who has consistently let the club down over a 5 year period, that he still has seven games to win a new contract? Would Keegan have announced on the radio that he's going to set his team out to get a draw away at a small Dutch club?

I desperately want Roeder to do well, but the club, without doubt is in free-fall. Five years ago, or even under Dalglish, I never seriously entertained the idea of relegation. "Newcastle United RELEGATED pfffft" We're in a situation now where in my opinion the only reason we're not potential candidates for relegation is because there's so much shit in the league. Since Robson left in 2004, I think without doubt we have been overtaken by Bolton, Tottenham and Everton, I can't even believe I'm typing these words, that clubs such as the above are in a better position in every way than ourselves, but the three of them are. They have players who want to play for the club, they have managers with the personality to make big decisions, and not let their errors (i.e never dropping Parker), stop them from correcting their mistakes.

In many ways, our position right now paralells the position of global climate. We've fucked it up quite badly. People at the top have made vital errors which are causing cataclysmic problems, things are getting worse, and they will become almost irreversable if things aren't changed now. We need to get our self-esteem back. It's a cliche, but we have 52,000 fucking people, who have put up with this shite for 3 years, we deserve a manager who at least has a clear vision of how to make us great. Defending 1-0 leads, when it's the worst aspect of our play, is small time. Chasing Kenny Miller is small time. Blaming opposition spoiling tactics as the key reason for home defeats is small time. Even hinting the fans are to blame, is a disgrace. I want to stay as loyal to Roeder as I can, but he's not big enough to do the job, and he's gradually bringing us down to his level. I will never think of Newcastle United as a run of the mill club, like an Everton or Bolton, but that's exactly what we have become, it won't change while Glenn Roeder is manager of Newcastle.

Aye but sadly it doesn't look like the club has got any long term plan at all. How many times are we gonna have to put up with Shepherd appointing managers, giving them millions of our money to spend then sacking them and repeating the same mistake?

Who can turn us around though?

Thats what I fear the most.

Thats the thing. I don't think any manager who is good enough to make us into one of the top teams again would be interested in going anywhere near the job at the minute.

Not the point. Roeder has to go, that is step 1, and its vital. He's not even worth the paper and ink we used giving him his job offer. The fact that no-one is knocking on the door for the job is NO reason to keep a feckless, pathetic, lying little cunt in the job.

Not the point. Roeder has to go, that is step 1, and its vital. He's not even worth the paper and ink we used giving him his job offer. The fact that no-one is knocking on the door for the job is NO reason to keep a feckless, pathetic, lying little c*** in the job.

If that happens then i can see the same thing happening again though. Shepherd will give someone within the club the job until the end of the season (or probably try his best to get Shearer), then they'll get some good results like what always seems to happen when a new manager comes in and he will "win the job".

Guest Invicta_Toon

Everton are one of only 6 clubs NEVER to be relegated from the top tier

What I am amazed at is where some cunts get off deriding the fact we are now below Everton

no fucking sense of history, no sense of humility, no sense of pride, no fucking clue

We can forget about a big name manager, especially foreign, only the greedy ones would take this on now, that could end this club if it didn't go right, and it would have to from the off.

We need someone like Paul Jewell, someone who's an all rounder, up and coming himself and would see us as the next step in his career.

Not saying Jewell is the man for it, but that type of person.

Not the point. Roeder has to go, that is step 1, and its vital. He's not even worth the paper and ink we used giving him his job offer. The fact that no-one is knocking on the door for the job is NO reason to keep a feckless, pathetic, lying little c*** in the job.

If that happens then i can see the same thing happening again though. Shepherd will give someone within the club the job until the end of the season (or probably try his best to get Shearer), then they'll get some good results like what always seems to happen when a new manager comes in and he will "win the job".

So you think we should keep Roeder???

No, my point is i just do not trust Shepherd at all when it comes to appointing another manager. I can see the same mistakes happening over and over again and the only thing its doing apart from pissing the fans of is making the job less attractive with each manager who comes and goes.

No, my point is i just do not trust Shepherd at all when it comes to appointing another manager. I can see the same mistakes happening over and over again and the only thing its doing apart from pissing the fans of is making the job less attractive with each manager who comes and goes.

Bit fundamentally, Roeder CANNOT be allowed to damage us any further. He HAS to go, now. Whoever we get, its likely he'll be better than Roeder, who is an absolute cretin.

What I am amazed at is where some cunts get off deriding the fact we are now below Everton

no f****** sense of history, no sense of humility, no sense of pride, no f****** clue

Ye naa what mate ye a ******** **** yee.  Everton are a club who have finished in the top four once in 15 years, they don't sell their little ground out and are "a selling club" (Rooney, Speed, Ferguson in recent years).  Of course I know football history you mug, I know we were the most succesful club in this country in the 20th century up to 1960, Everton had a few spells of success in the 60's and 80's, so f***.  Am I not allowed to voice an opinion that with our infinitely superior resources we should strive to be f****** better than them.  Am not ganna say what a think o yee because I'll get banned again.  Fuckin support Hibs.

Bit fundamentally, Roeder CANNOT be allowed to damage us any further. He HAS to go, now. Whoever we get, its likely he'll be better than Roeder, who is an absolute cretin.

Is that good enough though? A manager who is just "better than Roeder"? Any manager who comes in is expected to have us in the top 6 in his 2nd season at the longest. If we appoint an average manager then he might get us in a bit of a better position but that won't be good enough for most of the fans and he will be drove out of the club. We need to identify a manager who we could realisitcally get who would be capabale of getting us back amongst the top 5. I can't think of any of the top of my head who would really want to come though. Its catch 22 really. We cannot afford to make the next appointment a bad one though.

no f****** sense of history, no sense of humility, no sense of pride, no f****** clue

Ye naa what mate ye a ******** **** yee.  Everton are a club who have finished in the top four once in 15 years, they don't sell their little ground out and are "a selling club" (Rooney, Speed, Ferguson in recent years).  Of course I know football history you mug, I know we were the most succesful club in this country in the 20th century up to 1960, Everton had a few spells of success in the 60's and 80's, so f***.  Am I not allowed to voice an opinion that with our infinitely superior resources we should strive to be f****** better than them.  Am not ganna say what a think o yee because I'll get banned again.  Fuckin support Hibs.

We aren't a bigger club than Everton, though. Resources mean fuck all, its about achievement.

Getting mug punters through the turnstiles, and wasting money on cuints like Dyer, Bramble and Boumsong means fuck all without some tangible return.

As it happens, i think both we and Everton are medium sized clubs. But they have a better histroy than us.

Is that good enough though? A manager who is just "better than Roeder"? Any manager who comes in is expected to have us in the top 6 in his 2nd season at the longest. If we appoint an average manager then he might get us in a bit of a better position but that won't be good enough for most of the fans and he will be drove out of the club. We need to identify a manager who we could realisitcally get who would be capabale of getting us back amongst the top 5. I can't think of any of the top of my head who would really want to come though. Its catch 22 really. We cannot afford to make the next appointment a bad one though.

True, and i was being a bit simplistic there. But Roeder HAS to go, asap. Regardless of how hard it will be to find the RIGHT man, it is unfeasible to let the WRONG one continue and fuck it up worse. Which he will.

I'd love us to sign an up and coming manager from somewhere in Europe. Someone bold who dares to "rest" the big names and doesn't feel like he has to blame anyone else and most importantly, wants the team to play football!

We aren't a bigger club than Everton, though. Resources mean f*** all, its about achievement.

Missing the point completely.  Obviously the more money you have the more you can spend.   The more you spend the better the player, so in theory we should be able to build a far better team.  It's like talking to a computer program this.

Top post Stevie, always enjoy what you write on here.

I agree with everything you said. I've wanted to be patient, I've constantly supported Roeder but reality seems to be catching up with me now. Its like we're already half way down a slide and theres no way of climbing back up that slippery slope unless BIG changes are made.....

I'm just scared yet another new manager will take a good 2 years to get "settled".

Not a good time to be a toon supporter right now.

Guest Invicta_Toon

you could if that was what you said in the first place but you and I know that's not what you said and that's not what you meant

you're like a wee bairn who's started losing at a game and is now stamping his feet demanding his ball back

Success in footbal is earnt, it's not down to fucking resources, what are you some kind of Chelsea supporting flag waver?

support Hibs? I'd rather fucking die, my second team are Hearts, so you will understand how I can see that NUFC have a long way to fall yet before they can feel hard done by by the footballing gods

Ye naa what mate ye a ******** **** yee.  Everton are a club who have finished in the top four once in 15 years, they don't sell their little ground out and are "a selling club" (Rooney, Speed, Ferguson in recent years).  Of course I know football history you mug, I know we were the most succesful club in this country in the 20th century up to 1960, Everton had a few spells of success in the 60's and 80's, so f***. Am I not allowed to voice an opinion that with our infinitely superior resources we should strive to be f****** better than them.  Am not ganna say what a think o yee because I'll get banned again.  Fuckin support Hibs.

you could if that was what you said in the first place but you and I know that's not what you said and that's not what you meant

you're like a wee bairn who's started losing at a game and is now stamping his feet demanding his ball back

Success in footbal is earnt, it's not down to f****** resources, what are you some kind of Chelsea supporting flag waver?

support Hibs? I'd rather f****** die, my second team are Hearts, so you will understand how I can see that NUFC have a long way to fall yet before they can feel hard done by by the footballing gods

Mate honest, I learned a long time ago you're a mong of epic proportions, so I'm not even going to get embroiled in putting you right.

As for second teams  ;D  For all the good of the Keegan era, there is a significant baggage that came with it.  HTT makes a good point about relegation, and how it would get rid of these hangers on, it would definitely be the only positive demotion would bring.

Top post Stevie, always enjoy what you write on here.

I agree with everything you said. I've wanted to be patient, I've constantly supported Roeder but reality seems to be catching up with me now. Its like we're already half way down a slide and theres no way of climbing back up that slippery slope unless BIG changes are made.....

I'm just scared yet another new manager will take a good 2 years to get "settled".

Not a good time to be a toon supporter right now.

Thanks Willow.  I know what you're saying about going back to the drawing board, but the fact is to go forward, that is what we have to do.

Guest Invicta_Toon

whatever Stevie. I appreciate it's a hard concept for your xenophobic mind to grasp, but there are some people on this planet with mixed ancestry. And when is the last time Hearts played NUFC btw? TBH I wish I could disown the club if you were a representative majority, but thankfully I know for a fact you are just a wierd little anomoly. Granted most have your same deluded idea about deserving to be better then Everton for fuck all decent reason, but you son are a class apart

aligning yourself with HTT pretty much illustrates where you stand with respect to level headed opinion

as if I'm going to take lessons on football support from a bloke like you. mad

I'd love us to sign an up and coming manager from somewhere in Europe. Someone bold who dares to "rest" the big names and doesn't feel like he has to blame anyone else and most importantly, wants the team to play football!

That's all well and good, but there's also the small matter of fitting the right man into our club... For instance 12 months ago your description would have fitted Paul Le Guen, but who'd have him now?