Roeder : I will wield the axe

Newcastle Fan

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icnewcastle/apr2007/4/3/AC70D880-E970-751B-67591E57635E2D62.jpg

Glenn Roeder last night vowed there will be no more Mr Nice Guy as he sets about delivering success to Newcastle next season - and wielding the axe this summer.

The United boss's mild-mannered image has survived a rollercoaster first full year at St James's Park.

But the quietly-spoken Cockney is promising to get mean and moody as he begins the serious business of putting together a squad with top six potential.

"Being ruthless is easy for me, though that might come as a surprise to some people," insisted Roeder, who has warned EVERY Newcastle player that their futures are on the line between now and the end of the season.

"People think I am nice-natured, and I am. But I have another side.

"I don't have any problem whatsoever in letting people go. It's not a problem for me to tell players they aren't good enough to play for Newcastle.

"If I can't do that, I am letting the club down. If players need to go, they will go - and it will be me who tells them."

Roeder added: "Everyone is fighting for their place here next season. Everyone.

"If they don't show me that they really are up to the challenge of playing for this club then they will be made available in the summer.

"They have to show desire and motivation."

Stars such as Shay Given, skipper Scott Parker and Kieron Dyer had been regarded as untouchable as Roeder planned his summer clear-out.

But Newcastle's capitulations against AZ Alkmaar and Charlton riled him to the extent that he will now assess all players equally.

"It's about time we made changes. It does everyone good," added Roeder. "A few players here need a new challenge.

"We need to slide a few out and slide a few in."

Despite Roeder's latest comments, Celestine Babayaro, Titus Bramble, Steve Carr, Emre, Albert Luque, Craig Moore and on-loan Oguchi Onyewu are the players likely to be moved on.

But with Emre the only of those set to command a substantial fee, and United making a £6.9 million operating loss in the last six months, it remains to be seen what funds will be put at Roeder's disposal.

"I haven't sat down with the chairman . . . but he has always backed and supported his manager, and I would like to think he would do the same this summer.

"I need a few more players to be able to say this is now Glenn Roeder's squad.

"At the moment, it is not."

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=i-will-wield-the-axe&method=full&objectid=18842117&siteid=50081-name_page.html

er... link?

Edited..

sorry its just... april fools people will make up anything and everything whether its beyond the realms of possibility or just slightly odd. Glenn showing some sack = probably the most extreme suggestion we've had all day.

i'll print that article and carefully wipe my ass with it

Reminds me of a note Noel Coward once sent to a hostile critic:

"I am sitting in the smallest room in the house.  I have your review before me;  it will shortly be behind me"

This is worrying because Roeder will only go and get rid of the wrong players.

Our problem with scoring goals clearly stems from the midfield of Parker and Butt but Roeder won't change that!

He will probably get rid of the likes of Emre, N'Zogbia and Dyer or something ridiculous like that!!! and leave us with the most uncreative and unexciting team ever!!!

Roeder out...

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/3433742

Considering he's always standing around with his hands in his pockets, this is either one small axe we're talking about, or Roeder means something entirely different.

How long has Swiss Toni been on the coaching staff?

I didn't want Roeder to get the job, but I've always felt until recently that he's made a good fist of it in difficult circumstances. It's seemed that we've had a united squad and that the players have been playing for him, whatever their limitations.

It sounds now like that solidarity and mutual faith has been broken, and that's a real worry. We're not out of danger yet.

Cock and bull tbh. Most will stay because he won't be able to bring much else in.

Wrong - most will stay because nobody will take them off our hands, or the players won't take the step down in wages...

Besides which, it's not like we've ever sold players without replacing them... :rolleyes:

I didn't want Roeder to get the job, but I've always felt until recently that he's made a good fist of it in difficult circumstances. It's seemed that we've had a united squad and that the players have been playing for him, whatever their limitations.

It sounds now like that solidarity and mutual faith has been broken, and that's a real worry. We're not out of danger yet.

Pretty much sums it up for me aswell.

Only until the Man City game really, i wanted him to stay. But the recent run of results and pitiful performances from the manager have got me thinking otherwise. We're not going to go anywhere with him in charge. A few weeks ago i said he had the strengths and i thought he would get better, especially with his own squad, but i just don't think he's up to it. Like i say - we'll go nowhere with this man in charge. Give the money to someone competent to spend.

I like how he's now turning from getting something out of this season, to looking to succeed next season.

He's an absolute tosser, a liar, and a fraud as a manager. He should never have been given the job in the first place, and the number of people on here who defended him - and those who defender fucking morons like Moore, Bramble, Babayaro and Ameobi, etc -  makes me ashamed.

Pretty much sums it up for me aswell.

Only until the Man City game really, i wanted him to stay. But the recent run of results and pitiful performances from the manager have got me thinking otherwise. We're not going to go anywhere with him in charge. A few weeks ago i said he had the strengths and i thought he would get better, especially with his own squad, but i just don't think he's up to it. Like i say - we'll go nowhere with this man in charge. Give the money to someone competent to spend.

I think Roeder needs to get a grip. Our net spending over the last three transfer windows has been £10 million, so the idea that he'll be able to clear out half the side and replace them with better players is just daft.

I was a bit concerned at his reaction to the Alkmaar defeat, with the players locked in the dressing room whilst presumbly he had a go at them. They must have been feeling shitty and that was probably the last thing they needed. The problem that night wasn't a lack of effort, it was a lack of organisation. Then Bramble gets scapegoated, despite having put in some good performances in the games leading up. Nothing can break a team's faith in their manager more than a feeling that someone, or some players, are being victimised.

Basically, I think Roeder's reaction has been all wrong. The players need a lift, but I think he's making them feel worse.

Guest NIToon

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=458199&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=2&title=Roeder+readies+the+axe

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder will use the rest of the season to weigh up which of his squad he wants to rely on next term.

A recent spell of poor form has seen Newcastle crash out of the Uefa Cup and struggle to produce anything like top form in the Premiership, with Saturday's home defeat to Manchester City not sitting well with the St James' Park faithful.

Several of Roeder's squad are out of contract in the summer and it is likely to be somewhat of a revolving door at Newcastle, with exits and arrivals in equal measures.

It is expected a major overhaul could be in evidence in the North East and Roeder has warned he will be ruthless, with possible big name casualties.

"Whether they have contracts or not, they are all playing for their future in the squad next season," he told the Sunday Mirror.

"If they don't perform between now and the end of the campaign - even if they have a contract - they are not going to feature in my plans in the summer.

"If they do not show me they are really up for the challenge of playing for this club then they will be made available. It's up to them.

"It's about time we made changes. It does everyone good. To get money in we need other clubs to buy players we do not want."

I think the last line is as much an indication as anything.  Where is the money going to come from when we release those that are out of contract anyway.  Who are we going to sell to raise the money needed for an entirely new squad????

Does this mean that nobody's moving if there is no money coming in?

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=458199&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=2&title=Roeder+readies+the+axe

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder will use the rest of the season to weigh up which of his squad he wants to rely on next term.

A recent spell of poor form has seen Newcastle crash out of the Uefa Cup and struggle to produce anything like top form in the Premiership, with Saturday's home defeat to Manchester City not sitting well with the St James' Park faithful.

Several of Roeder's squad are out of contract in the summer and it is likely to be somewhat of a revolving door at Newcastle, with exits and arrivals in equal measures.

It is expected a major overhaul could be in evidence in the North East and Roeder has warned he will be ruthless, with possible big name casualties.

"Whether they have contracts or not, they are all playing for their future in the squad next season," he told the Sunday Mirror.

"If they don't perform between now and the end of the campaign - even if they have a contract - they are not going to feature in my plans in the summer.

"If they do not show me they are really up for the challenge of playing for this club then they will be made available. It's up to them.

"It's about time we made changes. It does everyone good. To get money in we need other clubs to buy players we do not want."

I think the last line is as much an indication as anything.  Where is the money going to come from when we release those that are out of contract anyway.  Who are we going to sell to raise the money needed for an entirely new squad????

Does this mean that nobody's moving if there is no money coming in?

Nice one, put the price down even further, great trader this plum is.

Guest Knightrider

He's hanging himself with these quotes like, he's hardly going to inspire the players to play for him with these thinly veiled threats of the axe and such, I suspect quite a few will know who he is talking about and that won't do dressing room morale any good whatsoever. The time to talk tough has passed Glenn, the very fact you are now doing it is evidence that you are losing a grip on things and fighting for your own job which the players will be under no illusion of and could just well turn the tables back on you.

He's hanging himself with these quotes like, he's hardly going to inspire the players to play for him with these thinly veiled threats of the axe and such, I suspect quite a few will know who he is talking about and that won't do dressing room morale any good whatsoever. The time to talk tough has passed Glenn, the very fact you are now doing it is evidence that you are losing a grip on things and fighting for your own job which the players will be under no illusion of and could just well turn the tables back on you.

I agree, this is what I was saying yesterday in another thread, now to still go on about it, its clear ha has already lost touch with some of the players, lets hope its the right ones.

I didn`t see the game but it is possible to lose the dressing room if your in the press all week saying you want to get rid of all your players and that they are basically pussies with no bottle oh and maybe saying also that only 3 players are his!  Also he blamed AZ on them and side stepped blame. How would you feel playing for this twat ?

Guest Alex20

Typical signs of an awful coach. First he tries to be a friendly coach, suck up to his players,

then when things go rough (mainly because of roeder himself) he does what every crap coach does,

threaten his own players and blames them.