Roeder.....

Guest toon for life

Guest toon for life

I've waited until this morning to post to give me time to calm down after yesterday's pathetic showing.

The time has finally come for Roeder to go. I know people are going to say "you can't keep sacking managers" "it just unsettles the club" and all that. But, theres no point in keeping a manager who is clearly not up to the job just for the sake of it. At this rate (and on this form) we will be caught up in a relegation fight. If any of the teams below us put a couple of wins together, we're in the shit. Period. Because on our current form I can't see where the next point is coming from.

Is anyone confident we're going to get 3 points at Sheff Utd?

Let's look at the facts......

When Roeder took over last season from Souness, the results improved, the performances improved. But he also had Shearer as his number two. This season with his backroom staff, the results and even more importantly, the performances have been shambolic in certain games.

Now i'm not saying, "let's get Shearer in...now!". He's unproven, and it would be a risk. I'm just stating facts. With Shearer...not bad. Without....cack! Make of that what you will.

If I take off my black and white tinted glasses, I can honestly say in quite a few of the games we have getting points from (Spurs away, Liverpool home, even Man Utd home) we were hammered at times and actually rather lucky to get them. And we can't really say (if we're honest) there have been many games when we've been beat that we hammered away at their goal and we're just unlucky.

Take that into account and we would be in one of the relegation places. Quite a sobering thought really.

I mean, Charton took 4 points off us, Man City took 4 , Fulham took 6, Smoggies 4, the list goes on. These are the teams who should be frightened of facing us, not the other way round.

The worrying thing for me is, Roeder's complete lack off tactical no-how. When has he out thought a rival manager? or changed a game with a substitution or change of formation?

I know he's had the worst injury list in the clubs history, but for the past few games he's had choices to make, and it's those choices that are the most worrying thing for me.

Carr for Nobby? Milner out? Does this man watch the same games as us?

Here's the way I see it...

Our defence is shit. Simple as that. We've known for ages we need at least two new fullbacks and two new centrebacks. Taylor is our only cetreback who (at the moment) has a chance to be in a new look defence. But what does Roeder (in TWO transfer windows) do? Gooch on loan. Oh yes, and Bernard. That's been a cracking bit of business hasn't it?

In midfield he plays Butt and Parker, who, in my opinion are two defensive midfielders (the last team I can remember playing two defensive midfielders was.... oh yes, the Smoggies last year. They were a joy to watch whern't they?), thus leaving us with no creativity from the middle of the park. This puts all the pressure on our two wide players, Duff and for the past few games, Nobby. Now Duff has not had the best of seasons by anyones standards and Nobby just gets used to playing fullback and is thrust back into midfield.

But even if they were firing on all cylinders, and launching in cross after cross (which they're not) in the box, who is there in the box to power in a bullet header? Martins and Dyer. Two of the smallest players on our books. Where's the sense in that??! If your going to play with two small quick frontmen, you have to play little balls in and around the box, balls in behind the back four, not sit with two deep centre midfielders and get two wide men (or the 'keeper) to hoof high balls into the box! Where's Emre? (I know he's been "injured", but not for the past couple of games) Where's Charles? Roeder either hasn't the bottle to drop one of the defensive midfielders (let's be honest, on current form Parker), or he just isn't good enough to see what everyone else sees. We all know some people can coach but can't manage, maybe thats the case with Roeder. I know one thing by practically telling the fans it's their fault after yet another poor performance and saying that the fans don't have a say in how he manages the team (we're the ones who buy season tickets, replica shirts, subscription to Sky ect, ect) shows either a man who doesn't understand the fans as much as he says he does, or someone who knows he is now well out of his depth and is starting to panic.

Of course having said all that we all know the real problem sits in his office eating his pies, counting his (our) money, ruining this club I will support to my dying day.

And until something happens at that level, I can't see it getting any better.

It's a good job for him this club is in your blood and not a matter of choice.

Fair enough. I would pick you up on one thing though, if you are giving Shearer credit for last seasons fightback (of sorts), you should also do the same for recent cup winner Craig.

Did we ever get an adequate explanation for Craig's... leaving us? I remember the rumour being a falling out re Bernard but I have the memory of a goldfish, so...?

Fair enough. I would pick you up on one thing though, if you are giving Shearer credit for last seasons fightback (of sorts), you should also do the same for recent cup winner Craig.

Did we ever get an adequate explanation for Craig's... leaving us? I remember the rumour being a falling out re Bernard but I have the memory of a goldfish, so...?

Lee Clark was seen as the cheaper option.

No other rational way to explain it.

Lee Clark was seen as the cheaper option.

No other rational way to explain it.

Hmmm... But Clark was already on the books - and then Roeder went out and got Pearson, which surely cost a pretty penny in wages and some sort of fee to WBA?

No, no explaination. Possibly it was down to being forced to play Bernard but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some resentment at not continuing a role with the first team squad, something he clearly relishes at his new job alongside John Collins.

This is what the club said at the time - "The club wishes to make it clear that his departure is purely down to further re-structuring of the coaching staff following several changes that have taken place during the period covering the departure of Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder's full time managerial appointment."

No, no explaination. Possibly it was down to being forced to play Bernard but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some resentment at not continuing a role with the first team squad, something he clearly relishes at his new job alongside John Collins.

This is what the club said at the time - "The club wishes to make it clear that his departure is purely down to further re-structuring of the coaching staff following several changes that have taken place during the period covering the departure of Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder's full time managerial appointment."

Hey, that restructure worked a treat!

Roeder and his hand-picked muppets shouldn't be allowed to organise fuck all.

I have just thought, Europe has been a distraction to the fans this season. If we weren`t doing ok there then I feel Roeder may have been under pressure sooner. Just looking at this peice from the thread, it didn`t bother me so much at the time because we thought we would do really well in Europe.

I mean, Charton took 4 points off us, Man City took 4 , Fulham took 6, Smoggies 4, the list goes on. These are the teams who should be frightened of facing us, not the other way round.

You missed out the 3pts we gave too Sheffield Utd at home, make that 6pts from next week we have lost to them at there ground and the 3pts we gave Wigan.

Guest DarkSchneider

I think that our central defense can play a lot better, if there was a pair that played consistently together, and got used to play with each other. How many games did Taylor play together wirh Bramble?

Given Roeders playing stuff choices, I'm not so sure that Luque is such crap. Given the fact that he still prefers Carr at RB(leaving Milner out), and Duff(leaving out N'Zogbia), and above all... not using Emre.

I think that with a new manager, who has some tactical knowledge and ideas, this team as it is can perform miles better. Competing for top 6 finish.

I think that our central defense can play a lot better, if there was a pair that played consistently together, and got used to play with each other. How many games did Taylor play together wirh Bramble?

Given Roeders playing stuff choices, I'm not so sure that Luque is such crap. Given the fact that he still prefers Carr at RB(leaving Milner out), and Duff(leaving out N'Zogbia), and above all... not using Emre.

I think that with a new manager, who has some tactical knowledge and ideas, this team as it is can perform miles better. Competing for top 6 finish.

What frightens me the most is that everyone on this forum is near enough in agreement as to what the problems are both on an off the pitch.... how on earth to the people paid to do the job not see them as well..... do they go the other way out of spite ???

I think Roeder bottles the tough decisions which is why the same people get dropped and the same people get substituted every match.  While there were injuries and he had no choices he simply played the best available 11 where as now we have very few injuries he struggles to select a decent team out of the lot of them!

nufc.com made a very decent point in their summary of the match this week, they said that this was the week that Roeder finally lost the support of the crowd!  That is true and it has been coming for weeks.  Parker doing little turns instead of driving forward, the crowd grumbles are getting louder.  The team selection, we all know that Milner should play ahead of Carr, Solano has been doing ok at R/B.  We all know that Zog is a better player than Duff but, Duff gets the call first every time.  We all know where we have needed to strengthen the team, and we have known this for 10 years, why the hell can't the men in charge see this?  All those things and a whole lot more are as a result of Roeder being in charge at this club. (apart from the defense being rubbish for the last 10 years, although he has had 2 windows to improve it!).

We used to receive a load of armchair support from neutrals around the country, no-one has sympathy anymore.  Our demise has been manufactured from within.

Like most people on here and elsewhere, who have season tickets, I will definately be renewing because I love NUFC, Saturdays aren't the same during the close season.  This year it will be a lot harder to stump the money up than it has been on previous seasons and I wonder for how many more seasons I am going to keep on doing it regardless of the quality I get to watch in return!!