Expectations too high?

Ally

I keep reading quotes from Roeder, the odd player and journalists that our expectations are so high it is impossible to succeed. Really annoys me that. Eg Milner, 'the fans demand a lot at this club and they have to understand sometimes it is tough to be out there playing in front of them because the expectations are so high and you can have off-days.'

I wouldn't say our expectations are ridiculous - no one is expecting to be challenging Man Utd, but for the money we've had available for transfers our expectations should be high. Don't other teams expect to get 3 points at home to Charlton, Man City and Sheffield United?

I keep reading quotes from Roeder, the odd player and journalists that our expectations are so high it is impossible to succeed. Really annoys me that. Eg Milner, 'the fans demand a lot at this club and they have to understand sometimes it is tough to be out there playing in front of them because the expectations are so high and you can have off-days.'

I wouldn't say our expectations are ridiculous - no one is expecting to be challenging Man Utd, but for the money we've had available for transfers our expectations should be high. Don't other teams expect to get 3 points at home to Charlton, Man City and Sheffield United?

You're exactly right, it's just another excuse to trot out when others have been overused.

Guest shearer_united

waiting for the following to happen so I can have expectations:

1)Takeover.

2)A great, experienced manager. Shearer would be a bad decision. No experience and no history to prove he can lead a weak team into becoming a very competitive and trophy deserving team.

3)Board gets sacked and new one replaced.

In fact, that's actually a lie, I have plenty of expectations:

- I expect to lose most weeks.

- I expect to hear bullshit excuses each week.

- I expect to be embarrassed by the actions of someone associated with the club at least once a season.

- I expect to be conned into thinking we might have a chance of winning something, only to have that hope torn away from me almost as if they were doing it deliberately, at least once a season.

- I expect to be annoyed by the ineptitude of the people running the club, nearly every second of every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year.

I have to say - amazingly - this club exceeds my expectations all the time.  :'(

Guest Phil K

A club with the 2nd biggest attendances "expectations are too high" ??????????????????

If this is what Roeder thinks, then he shouldnt be here.

Nor should the incompetent fat b*st*rd that gave him the f******* job (or the expensive disaster he gave it to before him, etc etc ad naseum.)

Didn't Roeder say himself at the start of the season that last season's position was the benchmark...

High Tidemark more like.

He should be buried up to the neck in sand at LOW tide....

A club with the 3rd biggest attendances "expectations are too high" ??????????????????

Nor should the incompetent fat b*st*rd that gave him the f******* job (or the expensive disaster he gave it to before him, etc etc ad naseum.)

Corrected.

The top teams go mental if they don't win anything in a season, how many seasons has it been for us, yet despite getting hammered by Championship teams, being served up shite, and scoring a sum total of fuck all recently we still turn up.

Expectations for fucks sake, if these idiots don't want expectations then sign for fucking Grimsby and give us all that cash back.

Guest Phil K

A club with the 3rd biggest attendances "expectations are too high" ??????????????????

Corrected.

Arsenal's higher, are they ?

Fair enough then.

I'd settle for what Arsenal fans think of as a bad season, this year wouldnt you ?

Wonder what attendances Arsenal would have been getting with the Shepherd/Roeder disaster at THEIR helm ?

Guest Phil K

my expectation is top 6. if bolton can do it why cant we. bolton ffs bolton

Allardyce is a 10 times better manager than Roeder.

And I dont paticularly rate Big Sam, either.

The top teams go mental if they don't win anything in a season, how many seasons has it been for us, yet despite getting hammered by Championship teams, being served up shite, and scoring a sum total of fuck all recently we still turn up.

Expectations for fucks sake, if these idiots don't want expectations then sign for fucking Grimsby and give us all that cash back.

Oh, and the outrageous expectation to beat bloody Man City at home with a near full squad. Well I'm very fucking sorry about that like. Cunts.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Aye if it's overambitious to beat a shower of shit at home like City, then we belong in the Championship at best

Guest Invicta_Toon

Corrected.

Arsenal's higher, are they ?

Fair enough then.

I'd settle for what Arsenal fans think of as a bad season, this year wouldnt you ?

Wonder what attendances Arsenal would have been getting with the Shepherd/Roeder disaster at THEIR helm ?

As if Fat Fred would have ever ended up in charge of Arsenal

but we are a massive club :lol:

We can't expect Newcastle United to: -

Win at home to clubs below us.

Beat relegation troubled clubs.

Beat clubs that are run on a fraction of our budget.

Win at home to clubs who are in the league below us.

Have a scouting network.

Have a long term plan.

Have qualifed coaches.

Have a fully qualified manager.

But we can expect more of the same.

Guest Knightrider

I don't think Newcastle fans' expectations are high, no higher than most anyway. If anything they are pessimistically low considering the resources United generate and the potential that exists at the club. What these comments show is just how much out of touch the hierarchy at the Toon really is with those on the stands and within the City - us lot.

Only an ignorant idiot would misinterpret our frustration at being beaten at home by a side lower than us in the division whilst having a near enough full team out there assembled at a great cost - a team THE FANS have dug deep to fund - as something or other.

At most other clubs the crap we have consistently put up with for over half a decade now just wouldn't be tolerated.

Of course there are expectations at the club, but realistic ones: finishing in the top 6, qualifying for Europe, playing half decent football and going on good Cup runs - something this club should to all intents and purpose be more than capable of achieving.

Roeder's comments smack of sheer desperation and someone who is either ignorant and out of touch or trying to temper expectations in the knowledge that under his stewardship they won't be matched or exceeded (or both). And if the latter truly is the case - he should resign now or be sacked.

Indeed he should be thankful that the expectations at Newcastle are so low, because he wouldn't be in the job had expectations been what they should be - which is to demand the best for our money - something he most certainly isn't and never will be.

I don't think Newcastle fans' expectations are high, no higher than most anyway. If anything they are pessimistically low considering the resources United generate and the potential that exists at the club. What these comments show is just how much out of touch the hierarchy at the Toon really is with those on the stands and within the City - us lot.

Only an ignorant idiot would misinterpret our frustration at being beaten at home by a side lower than us in the division whilst having a near enough full team out there assembled at a great cost - a team THE FANS have dug deep to fund - as something or other.

At most other clubs the crap we have consistently put up with for over half a decade now just wouldn't be tolerated.

Of course there are expectations at the club, but realistic ones: finishing in the top 6, qualifying for Europe, playing half decent football and going on good Cup runs - something this club should to all intents and purpose be more than capable of achieving.

Roeder's comments smack of sheer desperation and someone who is either ignorant and out of touch or trying to temper expectations in the knowledge that under his stewardship they won't be matched or exceeded (or both). And if the latter truly is the case - he should resign now or be sacked.

Indeed he should be thankful that the expectations at Newcastle are so low, because he wouldn't be in the job had expectations been what they should be - which is to demand the best for our money - something he most certainly isn't and never will be.

It wasn't just Roeder, similar comments were made by Milner.

Depends on if you judge expectations against track record or size (i.e. bigger = richer).

In terms of the former, NUFC fans sometimes seem deluded, but Newcastle is one of the biggest and richest clubs in the country and should be comfortably top 6 every season.

Your manager isn't good enough, like the last one, and he's only there (against his own better judgement) because the board are a bunch of muppets. With those chumps in charge, I'd say relegation is as likely as regular European football.

A takeover would be the best bet, but with a £300m investment planned, it's either already happening or won't for a long, long time (unless Fred drives you into bankruptcy).

15 points dropped at home to duffers like Man City, Charlton, West Ham, Fulham, Sheff Utd & Boro. Six games we should be p*ssing in reality, add 15 points to the tally, that's pushing for Champions League places. B*llocks to high expectations.

Indeed. Thing is, in the past when we've dropped points there's always been moments when you're like, 'we really should have won that'. You know, we battered them, missed a penalty etc.

In all those games we didn't deserve anything out of them