Premierships best keeper

Cajun

Brad Friedel according to the News of the World, that or they are trying to make a Scholes goal sound better than it already is?  ;)

"Kept his cool, beat three men and then the Premierships best keeper"

Good keeper but surely even they don't believe he is the best in the prem?

Oh and I think Given is the best in the prem if not simply because he is the only gk (other than perhaps Friedel actually) that has produced consistently season after season.

Friedel is an excellent goalie. But I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top...I think this is probably one of the best things about the otherwise overrated "best league in the world". Almost every time has a great goalie. There are some who aren't that hot - Howard, Robinson, Hahnemann, van der Sar (:tumbleweed:) but even they aren't that bad. Honestly I bet if you asked every fan in the league to name the top 5 goalies, most would name their own as one of them. And it wouldn't be that rediculous for them to do so. Cos they're all great. Especially Isaksson  ^-^

Cech is the best keeper in the Premiership in my opinion.

truth.

Van Der Saaaaaar, Frieldel, Given and Robinson make up the rest of the top 5.

Agree on Friedel, but Robinson is one of the most overrated goalkeepers I've ever seen. Not a bad keeper, nowt special.

Most up to date opta stats, not clear cut but gives an indication. I would say Foster has looked good this season.

Most Crosses                  Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough) 300           

Most Offsides                  Benedict McCarthy (Blackburn) 55           

Most Fouls                       Steve Sidwell (Reading) 80           

Team with most fouls       Watford 471           

Team with most shots      Man Utd 441           

Goalkeepers                Team Saves Saves/shots         

Hahnemann                 Reading 136 78%         

Friedel                          Blackburn 122 75%         

Howard                        Everton 109 83%         

James                          Portsmouth 108 78%         

Carson                        Charlton 108 70%         

Tacklers                           Team Tackles Success rate         

McCann                           Aston Villa 153 70%         

Parker                              Newcastle 148 79%         

Sidwell                             Reading 116 77%          

Xabi Alonso                     Liverpool 114 81%         

Brown                             Fulham 108 73%         

Passers Team Passes Accuracy         

Fabregas Arsenal 2004 82%         

Xabi Alonso Liverpool 1659 82%         

Scholes Man Utd 1542 91%         

Gerrard Liverpool 1540 77%         

Lampard Chelsea 1525 79%         

Scorers Team Goals Goal/shots         

Drogba Chelsea 18 20%         

Ronaldo Man Utd 16 14%         

McCarthy Blackburn 12 26%         

Yakubu Middlesbrough 12 17%         

Rooney Man Utd 12 14%

Van Der Sar is overrated. He's a good keeper, but no one said anything like that when he was at Fulham. Signs for Man Utd and he's the best keeper in the league. Right-o.

Cech for me. Theres more to goalkeeping than shot-stopping, and Cech commands his box superbly.

Van Der Sar is overrated. He's a good keeper, but no one said anything like that when he was at Fulham. Signs for Man Utd and he's the best keeper in the league. Right-o.

Cech for me. Theres more to goalkeeping than shot-stopping, and Cech commands his box superbly.

Completely agree on VDS, as you say when he was at Fulham he didn't get any praise at all really!

I have to say I think Given is vastly overrated. Good shot stopper, but that's all. Command of the area is poor, kicking is poor, decision making is patchy.

Cech is by far the best, followed by Van Der Sar, Friedel, then maybe Given, or maybe Jussi Jaskileinen (no idea how to spell his name... that Bolton guy!).

I'm pretty sure that the last time we did a keeper top five that's exactly how I listed them too...

EDIT: Yup - here's my comments (which have particular relevance to this thread)

The quality of goalkeepers now is $hit compared to years back, esp English keepers (we used to produce some of the best but sadly not anymore).

What about Marco Amelia? Rogerio Ceni? Julio Cesar of Inter has been outstanding, Gregory Coupet (who someone also mentioned)? Alot of People on here seem only watch to the EPL or go for the usual well known keepers in the world ,like Victor Valdes? The above mentioned keepers are far better. He's a good shot stopper but poor at most of other things (even Barca fans say this)

That's exactly why I'm not doing a world top 5 (well, I do watch more than the EPL but not enough to have solid opinions) - but I will do one for the Premier League (same as duwy's, just different order)

1. Cech

2. Van Der Saar

3. Friedel

4, Given

5. Jaaskelainen

Always been a big Friedel fan - and I'm not the only one: ''Brad Friedel must have changed in a telephone box. I wouldn't be surprised if when he takes his shirt off there's a blue jersey with an 'S' underneath.'' (G. Strachan)

The whole thread - http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36226.0

Goalkeepers                Team Saves Saves/shots       

Hahnemann                Reading 136 78%       

Friedel                          Blackburn 122 75%       

Howard                        Everton 109 83%       

James                          Portsmouth 108 78%       

Carson                        Charlton 108 70%       

While this gives a decent account that they're acceptable keepers I dont think this says much more about their goalkeeping ability... probably more about the defences in front of them.

I guess it gives an indication of shot stopping ability, but its ordered by shots saved so god knows who could have a higher percentage. Tim Howard is winning out of them 5 but not many will claim he is the best keeper in the league perhaps due to mistakes etc (although afaik he's been quite solid...)

Anywhoo, off to work.

Van Der Sar was good for Fulham and didn't get the praise he deserved there.  He's a great keeper.

This - he was also pretty damned good at Juventus and Ajax before that too...

I agree with this also... i think people very underrated VDS at Fulham... the fact Fulham buy VDS for 10 m pounds for a keeper just give another fact how good he is... he left juve because juve want the number one keeper of the world which is Buffon at that time.