so you never wanted Roeder

Guest Invicta_Toon

Guest Invicta_Toon

let's take a trip down memory lane and see who was touted for the job...

Martin O'Neill - Managing a massive Premiership club with a huge potential fanbase and  shiny new chairman. 15th, 34 points. Lower than Newcastle. Much lower.

Ottmar Ze German - Obviously not interested. Only tempted back to management by his hometown club

Sam Allardyce - The new alan curbishly, obviously got some serious skeletons to hide in his shiny plastic stadium's closet. Obviously happy to be king of the castle with the chairman as his bitch

Gus Hiddink - As was completely obvious at the time, was holding out for a national job. Now happy to take the piss out of Steve McLaren rather than play around with a Premiership club

Louis Van Gaal - Happy to act the celebrity cunt in a dutch club rather than take on the challenge of the Premiership

Paul Le Guen - Went to an arguably equivalent mid-table Premiership side and tried to change them with his fancy continental ways. Hounded out by pressure from the fans and top players. Ring any bells?

Claudio Ranieri - Whored himself around the place for 24 months. Finally found employment with Parma, a club sold at auction in Januray and currently second bottom of Serie A. Previously signed Damien Duff and Scott Parker.

Steve Bruce - Apparently would rather mess around in the championship with Emile Heskey than manage his hometown club infront of 50,000 geordies for Fat Fred

Alan Curbishly - Taking Alan Pardew's team down

Alan Pardew - Taking Alan Curbishly's team down

Sven - pft. The statistically most succesfull England manager has not found, and arguably doesn't even need, gainfull employment

Alan Shearer - Apparently not even a qualified manager yet

Only two things wrong with this club. One of them is Fat Fred.

Guest Invicta_Toon

forgot Stuart Pierce - assembled a collection of mercenaries not interested in playing for a massive preimiership club, happy to settle for a flat back ten. 13th. 36 points. Lower than Newcaste. But not by much.

Martin O'Neill - Managing a massive Premiership club with a huge potential fanbase and  shiny new chairman. 15th, 34 points. Lower than Newcastle. Much lower.

Ottmar Ze German - Obviously not interested. Only tempted back to management by his hometown club

Sam Allardyce - The new alan curbishly, obviously got some serious skeletons to hide in his shiny plastic stadium's closet. Obviously happy to be king of the castle with the chairman as his bitch

Gus Hiddink - As was completely obvious at the time, was holding out for a national job. Now happy to take the piss out of Steve McLaren rather than play around with a Premiership club

Louis Van Gaal - Happy to act the celebrity cunt in a dutch club rather than take on the challenge of the Premiership

Paul Le Guen - Went to an arguably equivalent mid-table Premiership side and tried to change them with his fancy continental ways. Hounded out by pressure from the fans and top players. Ring any bells?

Claudio Ranieri - Whored himself around the place for 24 months. Finally found employment with Parma, a club sold at auction in Januray and currently second bottom of Serie A. Previously signed Damien Duff and Scott Parker.

Steve Bruce - Apparently would rather mess around in the championship with Emile Heskey than manage his hometown club infront of 50,000 geordies for Fat Fred

Sven - pft. The statistically most succesfull England manager has not found, and arguably doesn't even need, gainfull employment

Love that bit. :lol:

....anyway I'd take one of those Dutch boys or Big Sam over Rodent. blueyes.gif

And your arguement being that we should have backed Roeder for the job because, in your limited knowledge of the managerial job market, he was and presumably still is the best option?

Give over.

Someone asked you the other day whether you wanted Roeder to remain as manager. A simple yes or no. What was your answer?

Guest Invicta_Toon

And your arguement being that we should have backed Roeder for the job because, in your limited knowledge of the managerial job market, he was and presumably still is the best option?

not my argument at all

Someone asked you the other day whether you wanted Roeder to remain as manager. A simple yes or no. What was your answer?

I have no opinon on it. The question is irrelevant to me, we will go the same way with or without Roeder, the reason being related to this very thread

"Much lower"? Unless we beat Everton tomorrow (with our game in hand), in which case we'll be higher.

10th position down to 17th is one big vat of mediocrity.

Give over.

Exactly. This list is a tiny fraction of the managerial job market. There are lots of potentially excellent managers out there doing good jobs at clubs smaller than ours. With the resources at Fat Fred's disposal he should be pulling out all the stops to find one. Giving the job to Roeder was the cheap and lazy option, but not a surprise from a club which only employs one full time scout and whose deputy chairman lives permanently in Gibraltar.

not my argument at all

I have no opinon on it. The question is irrelevant to me, we will go the same way with or without Roeder, the reason being related to this very thread

Fine. To clear up the confusion then, what is your arguement/this threads point? That you wouldn't have swapped him/would still have him over any manager out there (or at least those on your list)?

Louis Van Gaal - Happy to act the celebrity c*** in a dutch club rather than take on the challenge of the Premiership

mackems.gif

"Aston Villa huge potential fan base"  mackems.gif a club who haven't averaged over 40,000 in half a century.

Rangers - mid table Premiership team standard players  mackems.gif

"PIERCE" - Who?  Mary Pierce?  :)

"Heskey in the Championship with Bruce", did he move back?  :)

Oh to have the knowledge of your average Euro96 band wagon jumper.

"Aston Villa huge potential fan base"  mackems.gif a club who haven't averaged over 40,000 in half a century.

Much like yourselves before you got an ambitious board willing to spend money and finally started getting a whiff of success, you mean? He said "potential".

Much like yourselves before you got an ambitious board willing to spend money and finally started getting a whiff of success, you mean? He said "potential".

The thing is you've had success and still couldn't get the numbers.  Second in 1990 and 1993, averaging 25,000 and 29,000.  Second to us was success, we mid table non-entities and we're still averaging over 50,000, that is a club with a huge potential fanbase.  34,000 when you won the fuckin league, and 26,000 in the season you won the European Cup.  Sunderland have more potential than Villa by far.

A huge potential fanbase to me is a club who at their peak could average 80,000 fans: i.e Man Utd, Newcastle, Arsenal, Celtic FULL STOP, THERE'S NOBODY ELSE.

You've got a new chairman and MON the saviour, yet you've still got thousands of empty seats.

I don't see the potential support you're referring to.

O'Neill has been a disappointment this season, that's not to say he would have been as bad with us though.

Guest Invicta_Toon

mackems.gif

i'll give you heskey then, can't say I do take much interest in the championship teams. Substitute his name for Andy Cole if you like, point still stands

as for your other points, laughable and ludicrous as ever

I don't think this bit is true. He was absolutely desperate for the England job and recently made a pretty poor attempt to distance himself from rumours linking him to the City job. Quote: "If Stuart Pearce was to leave and Manchester City were to make an official approach, who knows?". I'm absolutely 1000000000% sure he wants a bigger job. I've also heard its "common knowledge" around Bolton that he's taking the Newcastle job in the summer but I tend not to believe any of this ITK shite.

You've got a new chairman and MON the saviour, yet you've still got thousands of empty seats.

O'Neill has been a disappointment this season, that's not to say he would have been as bad with us though.

This season was a write off before it even started in absolutely every respect. I said then we'd finish mid table, and I still think we'll finish mid table now. You can't judge MON on the dross he inherited, judge him after at least a season with his own side.

It takes time to make up for years of lack of ambition. Attendances are averaging at around 37k for this season, 7 percent or so up on last season, which is a decent start.

mackems.gif

i'll give you heskey then, can't say I do take much interest in the championship teams. Substitute his name for Andy Cole if you like, point still stands

Laughable?  The only laughable thing, is that someone with such a piss poor football knowledge spends half his life on this message board.  As soon as I see Invicta Toon, I think to myself, this post is going to be a disgrace to all genuine toon fans, because there's no one one this board, who genuinely has no clue about Newcastle and football in general like you.

Guest Invicta_Toon

mackems.gif

Laughable?  The only laughable thing, is that someone with such a piss poor football knowledge spends half his life on this message board.  As soon as I see Invicta Toon, I think to myself, this post is going to be a disgrace to all genuine toon fans, because there's no one one this board, who genuinely has no clue about Newcastle and football in general like you.

think whatever you like Stevie, at the end of the day it's you who has the odd ideas about NUFC and its potential / resources, and is scared of mice

at the sake of repeating myself, like I would take lessons in support from a bloke like you

how's your chelsea ticket application going btw?

but, but, but.........they had a PLAN !!!!!  mackems.gif

This season was a write off before it even started in absolutely every respect. I said then we'd finish mid table, and I still think we'll finish mid table now. You can't judge MON on the dross he inherited, judge him after at least a season with his own side.

It takes time to make up for years of lack of ambition. Attendances are averaging at around 37k for this season, 7 percent or so up on last season, which is a decent start.

From nufc.com following Villa v The Toon this season.

Gate-crashing an opening day party at the new Highbury, you then win your opening home game in midweek and are back on your own stamping ground just days later. It's August, it's a Bank Holiday weekend and the game isn't on the goggle box.

The first hint that this new beginning had failed to capture the imagination of the Villans came on the approaches to the ground, as the away ticket office was doing good business, despite United having posted the sold out signs the previous week.

Finding an extra section of tickets to flog to Geordie come lately's failed though to provide much compensation for the sections at the corners of each home stand that remained an empty block of bright blue after kickoff.

Ultimately Villa lost over 2,000 fans from the total attendance compared to the Reading game the previous week - but in reality there were more stay-at-homes, as the Royals didn't bring as many fans here as Newcastle. Hotbed, my butt.

Completely agree with Biffa from NUFC.COM. 

mackems.gif

think whatever you like Stevie, at the end of the day it's you who has the odd ideas about NUFC and its potential / resources, and is scared of mice

at the sake of repeating myself, like I would take lessons in support from a bloke like you

how's your chelsea ticket application going btw?

I've got my mates ticket for Chelsea, meet me before the game and we'll discuss it, and we'll see if you're as big a wank in person as you are on here.